Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by heef View Post
    Which is precisely why it's good to give bullies, and their parents, an incentive to act differently. There's no change in this kind of behavior without repercussions and accountability.
    I still don't feel this is the right way to go about it. Bullies are often victims themselves. Peer pressure is sort of bullying in its own right. Like I said, natural process. We become stronger by overcoming our challenges. Otherwise, natural selection takes its course. This is human societies way of dealing with 'undesirables' unfortunately.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

I am hesitant with this law, as sometimes kids bully because they are getting abused at home, and when daddy/mommy/guardian hears about this and gets a fine? I won't be seeing that kid for a week because he will be so bruised the guardian won't send them to school. I think if you want to correct bullying you have to start looking at what we are presenting to kids as a society (namely our love of violence and fear of responsibility).

Something I will keep an eye on, but I expect mixed results AT BEST.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    I still don't feel this is the right way to go about it. Bullies are often victims themselves. Peer pressure is sort of bullying in its own right. Like I said, natural process. We become stronger by overcoming our challenges. Otherwise, natural selection takes its course. This is human societies way of dealing with 'undesirables' unfortunately.
    If you're somehow implying that being bullied turns into a net positive in any meaningful percentage of cases, you're living under a rock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like what kind of strategies, exactly? When their kids are hitting them hard in the wallet, you think they'll just double down? Really?

Also, "poor kids are more often bullies" is just inaccurate. I grew up in a town with a pretty affluent section and a pretty poor section. The rich douche kids were just as horrid as the poor kids, and in many cases, they stayed so for many more years as we progressed from K-12.
    I also grew up in a fairly rich town. We had a program that shipped inner city kids out to our suburb school. They were far more often bullies - at least, in the classical kind of way people think about bullies (particularly when it comes to violence).

I do think parents will double down, because if they thought they could control their kids without using violence, they wouldn't use violence. Their first reaction will be 'oh, I'm not being strict enough'. To an outsider, they might seem strict already; but to them, it's just normal parenting.

good, this should force the problem to end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxalia View Post
    good, this should force the problem to end.
    It won't, don't be naive.

If you're somehow implying that being bullied turns into a net positive in any meaningful percentage of cases, you're living under a rock.
    Its not the majority that counts in this case though. In my anecdotal experience, after realizing how awful of a person I was, I totally left everyone alone in high school while I dealt with my own insecurities. And while I can't truly measure to the extent of psychological trauma, the ones who took the blunt of my mockery went on to become some of the most well adjusted people I knew. And in that respect excelled both socially and academically.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds awesome to me. Bullies generally have Bully parents. It would be nice to know a Kid that is bullying someone else will likely go home to an ass whooping if they cost their parents a fine,

Important question: would I be able to bully someone every 91 days?

It's a good idea that should've been done long ago.

Eh, it's funny how this bullying "epidemic" just sprang up in the last 10-20 years. Kids need to learn to sack up and handle their business. I'm pretty sure most people get bullied at some point or another, and it's all about how you deal with it. Stick up for yourself and in many cases, the bullying stops. Go home and cry about how everyone's writing mean things about you on facebook and kill yourself like a few of these teens and...well I guess the bullying stops for them too, although I wouldn't recommend that method of dealing with it.

The only time where bullying is legitimately an issue is when people pick on special needs kids. And even then, with our school system, aren't there people around keeping track of them?

I've seen Trump supporters, I've seen people that like certain policies of his. However, I have never seen the man himself on MMO!

Just so everyone knows, Trump here knows the deal. Trump pushed for the nerds to be in special schools BEFORE EVERYONE else. He was kicking them, screaming and throwing punches with his obviously big hands... even at that dork teacher. They all weren't good enough for normal schools and he sure did show them.
    (http://www.businessinsider.com/donal...he-deal-2015-9
    http://www.npr.org/2015/11/10/455331...-beat-the-game)

On topic: Hopefully the majority of people use this for the right reasons. Whenever parents get involved they typically want to come to the defense of their child. It would be great to implement a parenting class about how to discipline and promote positive behaviors. Bullying is the result of abuse, poor nutrition and negligence and so much more. I'd like to see them try to tackle that too.

Edit: @waldor22
    ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
    2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 2GB
    Intel 330 Series 240GB, Mushkin Enhanced 120GB, Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Sounds good to me.
    agreed

Hit the parents of bullies where it hurts the most, their wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by waldor22 View Post
    yes?
    act like a normal kid and you won't get bullied
    Where to even begin with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

In theory it's a wonderful idea, however; in application I see it as a total nightmare. Who plays the judge and jury and decides whether or not certain treatment is bullying or not. Ever hear of the old children's fable - the boy who cried wolf? How about the kid who cried bully for the sake of attention and someone innocent receives a fine? Or how about kid's not stopping bullying cause they like the idea of sticking it to their parents? How this can be enforced, judged and countered can and will be a complete nightmare. If they used the law as a way of protecting handicapped children from bullying, I can see the law working better as intended, but still not even close to being flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Where to even begin with this.
    You feel sorry for the idiot.

Simply put there is no excuse, reason for bullying. Parents, families, schools need to be made examples of when students are found doing it. If anything the fine was too low.

I found school administrators woefully inadequate when it came to bullying. Like sometimes you would see the bullied kid in trouble for bullying which made no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I found school administrators woefully inadequate when it came to bullying. Like sometimes you would see the bullied kid in trouble for bullying which made no sense.
    Sweep under the rug so it doesn't seem like there is a problem is how some schools deal with it. If it means keeping the bully pack happy then so be it.

you were a nerd obviously, nerds get bullied its just the way it is.
    Sounds like this guy is a bully, of course he is against the new law.

you were a nerd obviously, nerds get bullied its just the way it is.
    You're posting on an internet forum devoted to MMORPGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.