Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    Crimea and most of the areas that voted for The Party of Regions in the last real election are very pro-Russia. Ukraine might as well be two distinct countries with East and West because they have different values, language, etc. These are basically Russians living outside of Russia.
    If they want to be Russians, they should pack up and move to Russia...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    If they want to be Russians, they should pack up and move to Russia...
    Or continue living where they have lived for hundreds of years as Russians in Novorossiya...
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned but apparently Russia harassed a second US spy plane.

2nd Russian Fighter Jet Flies Barrel Roll Over US Spy Plane

what did they call the second roll lol?
    Seriously dude, this is stupid, even for the Putinista crowd. The world *already* lived this.

http://www.historycommons.org/timeli...crash_in_china
    https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL30946.pdf
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island_incident

Basically a US P-3 Spyplane was flying in international waters outside of China, eavesdropping on CHinese signals, as we always do. Perfectly legal. As had been the case, a couple chinese fighter aircraft, like the Russians, harassed the larger plane and made unsafe manuevers near it.

The EP-3 (BuNo 156511), assigned to Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron One (VQ-1, "World Watchers"), had taken off as Mission PR32 from Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan. At about 09:15 local time, toward the end of the EP-3's six-hour ELINT mission, two Chinese J-8s from Lingshui airfield, on the Chinese island of Hainan, approached the EP-3 as it flew at 22,000 feet (6,700 m) and 180 knots (210 mph), on a heading of 110°, about 70 miles (110 km) away from the island. One of the J-8s (81192), piloted by Lt. Cdr. Wong Wei,[9][10] made two close passes to the EP-3. On the third pass, it collided with the larger aircraft. The J-8 broke into two pieces; the EP-3's radome detached completely and its No. 1 (outer left) propeller was severely damaged. Airspeed and altitude data were lost, the aircraft depressurized, and an antenna became wrapped around the tailplane. The J-8's tail fin struck the EP-3's left aileron forcing it fully upright, and causing the U.S. aircraft to roll to the left at 3-4 times its normal maximum rate.[8]
    Something similar had actually happened before. Large aircraft can generate dangerous wakes depending on size.

Here's the situation. A fighter jet barrel roles and gets within 10-20 feet of the wing tip of a larger airplane. The wake of the larger airplane causes an uncontrolled lateral drift of the smaller aircraft. Wings touch. Boom.

But you know what? Whatever. Let Russia keep doing these stupid, pointless, displays of nothing. And when a brand new Su-35 is destroyed due to pilot error, and said pilot is blenderized by a US P-8 Poseidon's engine just like that Chinese pilot, it'll be very clear who to blame.

This is just another pending Russian disaster. It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or continue living where they have lived for hundreds of years as Russians in Novorossiya...
    I doubt a single one of them has lived more than 100 years, let alone hundreds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt a single one of them has lived more than 100 years, let alone hundreds.
    I was saying "they"(people) as a general term. Forgive my English if that's not a proper term. Families would be better, no?
    Last edited by Perkunas; 2016-05-02 at 11:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was saying "they"(people) as a general term. Forgive my English if that's not a proper term. Families would be better, no?
    History of "ownership" has no place in determining borders in this day and age. If it did Russia needs to return East Prussia to Germany, Poland needs to return western Poland to Germany and Ukraine needs to return western Ukraine to Poland. That was all land that was transferred by force 70 years ago...

10+ Year Old Account
    History of "ownership" has no place in determining borders in this day and age. If it did Russia needs to return East Prussia to Germany, Poland needs to return western Poland to Germany and Ukraine needs to return western Ukraine to Poland. That was all land that was transferred by force 70 years ago...
    The people who live there are ethnically Russian. You grasp at straws, mate. Also, Prussia should be given to us Balts because it belonged to us before Germany.
    Last edited by Perkunas; 2016-05-03 at 01:25 AM.

Deleted
    Yes make that happen!

10+ Year Old Account
    The people who live there are ethnically Russian. You grasp at straws, mate. Also, Prussia should be given to us Balts because it belonged to us before Germany.
    The only reason its ethnically Russian is from forced ethnic cleansing. And dont call me mate, you have not earned the right.

All of Europe belonged to Neanderthals a four hundred thousand years before you showed up. When we clone one, you'll be expected to vacate the premisis. Maybe move to Syria, I hear that's depopulated.

Undoing territorial transfers from war and history by definition has an extremely arbitary start date, and it's really not worth going down that. In the end, everyone living in Europe today besides the Basques pretty much go back right to central asia whence their ancestors came. Chances are your relatives were Gauls, Goths or Germanic nomads, not Romans, not Etruscans, not Achaean Greeks.

Why stop at 70 years. Let's roll back 700. Or 7000.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason its ethnically Russian is from forced ethnic cleansing. And dont call me mate, you have not earned the right.
    Forced ethnic cleansing. It's not like there's very big difference between a Russian and a Ukrainian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forced ethnic cleansing. It's not like there's very big difference between a Russian and a Ukrainian.
    I was discussing the Russian controlled part of Germany, the Polish controlled part of Germany, and the Ukrainian controlled part of Poland. Plus, there is a big enough difference that they are not all just Russian or Ukrainian....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    All of Europe belonged to Neanderthals a four hundred thousand years before you showed up. When we clone one, you'll be expected to vacate the premisis. Maybe move to Syria, I hear that's depopulated.

Undoing territorial transfers from war and history by definition has an extremely arbitary start date, and it's really not worth going down that. In the end, everyone living in Europe today besides the Basques pretty much go back right to central asia whence their ancestors came. Chances are your relatives were Gauls, Goths or Germanic nomads, not Romans, not Etruscans, not Achaean Greeks.

Why stop at 70 years. Let's roll back 700. Or 7000.
    I was actually poking fun at his comment and his strawman. I said the people living there now and for hundreds of years are Russian. He is screaming ethnic cleansing...

- - - Updated - - -

I was discussing the Russian controlled part of Germany, the Polish controlled part of Germany, and the Ukrainian controlled part of Poland. Plus, there is a big enough difference that they are not all just Russian or Ukrainian....
    And what I was saying was that the region is filled with Russians and has been for hundreds of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually poking fun at his comment and his strawman. I said the people living there now and for hundreds of years are Russian. He is screaming ethnic cleansing...

- - - Updated - - -

And what I was saying was that the region is filled with Russians and has been for hundreds of years.
    So its ok for Russians to force others out but they dont have to leave.

Because what we are talking about is LEGAL constructs (states) not useless evil constructs (nations).
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2016-05-03 at 04:32 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    Why the hell do you care what Russia or America does? You're not a member of either nation.

Regardless, what Russia did was unprofessional and extremely dangerous. If the ships' captains feel like the Russian pilots are a grave risk to the ships' crews, armed or not, they are well within their rights to shoot them down.

Don't want to lose planes? Don't come into international waters and pull stunts like that.
    Who gives a shit? For all anyone knows, having two of the top five biggest, most powerful, and nuke-owning countries in the world, could have massive ramifications for everyone else on the planet.

Not just the US or Russia.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    So its ok for Russians to force others out but they dont have to leave.

Because what we are talking about is LEGAL constructs (states) not useless evil constructs (nations).
    I'm saying when Ukraine left the Soviet Union perhaps it would have been more intelligent to not include the regions that were so heavily populated with Russians. There's a reason why Lithuania didn't make any claim at all to Kaliningrad...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying when Ukraine left the Soviet Union perhaps it would have been more intelligent to not include the regions that were so heavily populated with Russians. There's a reason why Lithuania didn't make any claim at all to Kaliningrad...
    And Im saying after the fall of the Soviet Union, those who wanted to be Russians should have moved into Russia.
    And Yes, Lithuania was smart and did know that having more "Russians" inside its border would be like a cancer patient asking to be injected with more cancer cells.

Am I the only one here who thinks this isn't really some effort on Russia to provoke the US, but really just less disciplined and more poorly trained and monitored Russian pilots just showing off and cowboying it up while they're flying? I kind of imagine them having buddy-cop-esque conversations with their CO's like "GOD DAMMIT MERKULOV, YOU WRECKED HALF THE OCEAN, THE MAYORS GONNA HAVE MY ASS"

And Im saying after the fall of the Soviet Union, those who wanted to be Russians should have moved into Russia.
    And Yes, Lithuania was smart and did know that having more "Russians" inside its border would be like a cancer patient asking to be injected with more cancer cells.
    East Prussia is just kind of a weird area because it's sort of been an exclave for most of its history, to the ceaseless frustration of both nationalists and cartographers, given how its very existence screws up the four color map theorem. On the other hand though, it also benefits in a way because that history makes it special. Nobody gives a crap about West Prussia, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    But you know what? Whatever. Let Russia keep doing these stupid, pointless, displays of nothing. And when a brand new Su-35 is destroyed due to pilot error, and said pilot is blenderized by a US P-8 Poseidon's engine just like that Chinese pilot, it'll be very clear who to blame.

This is just another pending Russian disaster. It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.
    I am pretty sure Russian pilots know exactly what you pointed out, as my guess is, they have been learned it, they have experienced it as what you wrote constantly is met at refueling mid air.

They have every right to intercept planes, make no doubt about it. Especially planes aimed in info gathering next to their borders.