Help with a new video card

Hi I reinstalled windows on my computer and it is not registering my video card at all it is quite old so might of just went out on me. Under device manager says device can not start, says the device is not using any resources because it has a problem. The video card was a R7850 video card.

So I'm trying to get a video card for around $100 don't have enough money at the moment to replace it with a card that was as nice as that one. My mother board has a built in card so just trying to get something that will be better then that. The mother board is
    AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D. Don't know to much about video cards, so any help will be awesome .

Lowest decent recent card I would suggest https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-v...rd-gtx950m2gd5 it's over 100$ but should handle most games decently, if it needs to be cheaper you could look at https://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-vi...-n750ti2gd5tlp but that one is getting old.

Shame yours crapped out now, new ones will be around in 2-3 months.

Save up and ride it out or look around on e-bay, although I'm really against this option. Best to do the former over the latter in this case.

15+ Year Old Account
    A reinstall of Windows shouldn't kill a video card.

what version of windows and did you install the driver off AMDs website?

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    A reinstall of Windows shouldn't kill a video card.

what version of windows and did you install the driver off AMDs website?
    Widnows 7, and yes got the drivers off the AMD website.

10+ Year Old Account
    disconnect the card, clean the contacts, then plug it back in and turn the computer on with the video cable (whatever you're using, probably DVI) connected to the card and not the mobo.

If you get image before Windows starts then the problem is with drivers, if you don't then something is wrong.

when you said your card was old i was expecting like an nvidia 8800 GT or something. 7850 aint that old, leave it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    disconnect the card, clean the contacts, then plug it back in and turn the computer on with the video cable (whatever you're using, probably DVI) connected to the card and not the mobo.

If you get image before Windows starts then the problem is with drivers, if you don't then something is wrong.
    Tried all of this and using an hdmi cable and the screen stays black nothing ever pops up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 2s2p View Post
    Tried all of this and using an hdmi cable and the screen stays black nothing ever pops up.
    Did you try the other connections?

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Did you try the other connections?
    I've got a Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan and the big fan and block part blocks the top slot so only am able to use the bottom video card slot.

Edit: Yeah pretty sure it is my video card, got my old video card from another computer and it is showing up in the device manager.

My video card right now is AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D
    would I be better off using that or my old video card it is a ATi Radeon HD 5450? Always heard the ones built into a cpu were not that good, but since its a a 6550 not sure if that is better then a 5450 video card.
    Last edited by 2s2p; 2016-05-02 at 11:08 PM.

I've got a Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan and the big fan and block part blocks the top slot so only am able to use the bottom video card slot.
    for the sake of testing the other slots can you not put the radiator and fan on the desk for a minute?

Deleted
    How is a watercooler blocking a PCi-e slot? What kind of case do you have and what mobo?

It might still be your GPU, but the top slot is usually 16x and the bottom slot is only 4x. It should not matter that much for performance but still.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    for the sake of testing the other slots can you not put the radiator and fan on the desk for a minute?
    I tried this, when I turned on the computer it said it was installing a new device but other then that everything was the same, it was not popping up in device manager and tried downloading drivers again and nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    How is a watercooler blocking a PCi-e slot? What kind of case do you have and what mobo?

It might still be your GPU, but the top slot is usually 16x and the bottom slot is only 4x. It should not matter that much for performance but still.
    Motherboard is MSI A75MA-G55 Chipset AMD Dual Graphics Support DDR3 Socket FM1 mATX w/ UEFI Bios, OC Genie, Winki 3 & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    and case is azza toledo 301

Also My video card right now is AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D
    would I be better off using that or my old video card it is a ATi Radeon HD 5450? Always heard the ones built into a cpu were not that good, but since its a a 6550 not sure if that is better then a 5450 video card.

I tried this, when I turned on the computer it said it was installing a new device but other then that everything was the same, it was not popping up in device manager and tried downloading drivers again and nothing.

Motherboard is MSI A75MA-G55 Chipset AMD Dual Graphics Support DDR3 Socket FM1 mATX w/ UEFI Bios, OC Genie, Winki 3 & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    and case is azza toledo 301

Also My video card right now is AMD A8-3850 2.90 GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Integrated Radeon HD 6550D
    Sorry to say your going to have to remount that fan/radiator in a different position or in another part of the case. Another thing buy a can of air and do a spring cleaning in there. Never a good thing when dust starts caking up.