Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Gotta say..... this is an interesting idea. Although an area with very little rain is likely more prone to mud slides caused by said rain. They are going to need a lot of systems after or before this mountain.
    But like I said... If coupled with other projects (the right ones) it could be a boon for the world as a whole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    But like I said... If coupled with other projects (the right ones) it could be a boon for the world as a whole.
    I agree, I see a ton of potential as well! cant say I dislike this idea in the slightest, I just hope they think of everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    5 loads a day seems like a gross underestimation. Since that's what you're basing the rest of your calculations on it just seems foolish.
    Doesn't seem that low to me. There's loading and unloading time as well as journey time. You have to get the dirt from somewhere, and even if it's nearby, it takes a long time to drive up and down a mountain.

If you're working 12 hour shifts, that's 2 hours, 24 minutes per round trip, including transit, loading, and unloading. It also ignores things like lunch breaks.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    You're also assuming the mountain will be solid. As someone who works in Earthworks and geotechnical engineering I can tell you you have to factor in a hell of a lot more stuff.
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking? They are gonna move the legion of doom out of that swamp and put it in that mountain!
    Loser since Feb. 05'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Doesn't seem that low to me. There's loading and unloading time as well as journey time. You have to get the dirt from somewhere, and even if it's nearby, it takes a long time to drive up and down a mountain.
    I think the mountain won't be solid. I also think they will use the same methods as with the islands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    So much wrong in these calculations.
    It's napkin math. It's not supposed to be right. He left out all the costs of the excavation equipment, earth moving equipment, permitting, personnel, etc. But he's not trying to be accurate. Just trying to get some sense of the scale of the thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's napkin math. It's not supposed to be right. He left out all the costs of the excavation equipment, earth moving equipment, permitting, personnel, etc. But he's not trying to be accurate. Just trying to get some sense of the scale of the thing.
    But he uses US costs. You can't compare those.

They better move all to France, they have the Alpes already.

10+ Year Old Account
    But he uses US costs. You can't compare those.
    And if he gets tapped by the UAE government to do a cost analysis for them, I'm sure he'll get more accurate quotations and be more comprehensive in his assumptions.

In the meantime, it was just an interesting idea to think about and consider some of the major costs involved. A little minor brain exercise about an interesting topic.

Another factor that could be problematic is how close UAE is to the equator, versus many other mountain ranges that make good weather engines.

The atmosphere is taller near the equator, so I'd presume that also means the bottom of the troposphere is much higher as well. So it's not like the Rockies that can be as little as 7000 feet in some places. They'd probably need something at least 9000 feet high.

If you're working 12 hour shifts, that's 2 hours, 24 minutes per round trip, including transit, loading, and unloading. It also ignores things like lunch breaks.
    I'm guessing they're getting the material from right next to the mountain they're building. They're building a mountain, like they give a shit if it's next to a huge strip mine. I'm also guessing they're working 24 hour days in shifts. You're also talking about UAE with somewhat lax labor regulations, so lunch breaks might amount to a 10 minute break to get water thrown on you.

I think the mountain won't be solid. I also think they will use the same methods as with the islands.
    There are pros and cons to both solid and hollow. Problem with hollow is, your structural engineer is going to have to earn his fee because that's a hell of a structure to design. But then, problem with solid is your geotechnical engineer is going to earn his fee because that's a hell of a structure to design

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I'm guessing they're getting the material from right next to the mountain they're building. They're building a mountain, like they give a shit if it's next to a huge strip mine. I'm also guessing they're working 24 hour days in shifts. You're also talking about UAE with somewhat lax labor regulations, so lunch breaks might amount to a 10 minute break to get water thrown on you.
    Material right next to the mountain. I highly doubt it. Let's assume for a second it's predominantly sand and sandstones in the area. Sand has a really low natural angle of repose, even with a sandstone core, you'd need a different material.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Of course that doesn't account for driver costs, which would probably cost a pretty penny. I mean who wants to drive a dump truck 365 days of the year for almost 4 years in the middle of the desert? Not me, that sounds terrible. Let's give them $1,000,000 annual salary each. That adds another $3,650,300,000.
    You forgot that's it's a GCC country which means they employ people from the Indian Subcontinent who are happy to work for as little as 150 USD/month without days off in a 12 to 16 hour shift. For construction workers it can go up to 1000 USD/month with same hours and no days off. Truck drivers from that part of the world would be ecstatic to get such a job.

Just take a look at how Qatar treats their workers who build infrastructure for their upcoming FIFA championship hosting, in order to have an idea.

Edit: Cheap workforce, who are practically slaves, have no one to protect their rights in such countries; the success of UAE is partly if not mostly built (and continues to be built) on their shoulders.
    Last edited by Daten-shi; 2016-05-03 at 03:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Material right next to the mountain. I highly doubt it. Let's assume for a second it's predominantly sand and sandstones in the area. Sand has a really low natural angle of repose, even with a sandstone core, you'd need a different material.
    Probably dredge from the sea.

10+ Year Old Account
    To everyone saying my calculations are wrong, I know. Have you never heard the term "napkin math" ? And did you not read my note at the end? geez.

As Reeve said, they're not supposed to be 100% accurate. I just wanted to get a sense of the scale, and figured I would share the bit of research I did with you guys. If you want to do your own calculations - Please go ahead.

There are pros and cons to both solid and hollow. Problem with hollow is, your structural engineer is going to have to earn his fee because that's a hell of a structure to design. But then, problem with solid is your geotechnical engineer is going to earn his fee because that's a hell of a structure to design

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing they won't be using sandstone as the core, but as the actual mountain. Sand isn't very deep compared to the size of the strip mine you're going to need to build a mountain.

I think we can all agree though that this is the most insane engineering feat ever proposed.

10+ Year Old Account
    To everyone saying my calculations are wrong, I know. Have you never heard the term "napkin math" ? And did you not read my note at the end? geez.

As Reeve said, they're not supposed to be 100% accurate. I just wanted to get a sense of the scale, and figured I would share the bit of research I did with you guys. If you want to do your own calculations - Please go ahead.
    Well I'll take your calculations and divide them by at least 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa They did build this monster. But to reach the troposphere you need to go about 9 times higher. And then you'd probably want it to be a few hundred kilometers wide,

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course that doesn't account for driver costs, which would probably cost a pretty penny. I mean who wants to drive a dump truck 365 days of the year for almost 4 years in the middle of the desert? Not me, that sounds terrible. Let's give them $1,000,000 annual salary each. That adds another $3,650,300,000.
    $1,000,000 annual salary for a dump truck driver is pretty absurd. The people that operate heavy machinery at my company make something like $2500-4000 per month. Now these aren't 30 ton dump trucks, but they are ~30 ton vibrators.