Gauthier's original projection was a 3C. I don't think he makes it there, personally. Based on what I've seen with the Leafs/Marlies, he's a 4C at best (and this is also because the Leafs have Matthews/Nylander/Marner/Kadri all capable of playing 1-3C at this point in the above example). As for Carrick, no he's not at all a top-pairing, probably a 4-6 guy.. it just got hard to project D pairings, so I was more trying to list possibilities and get the bigger name prospects on display. Hell, I actually expect them to move JVR in the next 2 years anyway - he's on a super friendly deal (4.25M AAV for a guy who has put up 0.72ppg since joining the team, and is good for 25+ goals in a full season), and I don't see them wanting to meet his likely asking price when this contract is nearing its end.

As for Stamkos, I don't want him. There is no logical way the Leafs are going to be able to pay all their up and coming players in 3-4 years if they have a 10M anchor. If he wants to come up here and take a huge hometown discount, then by all means, come on home Stammer. I mean HUGE, too. We're talking like AAV of 6.5-7M. Anything more, and it starts to impinge on the future that they're planning so thoughtfully right now.

- - - Updated - - -

The key to the trade isn't the 2 picks, it'd be a prospect with a high ceiling that just needs some seasoning (a la Kapanen or Valiev or something). I agree a 25th/31st should never be moved alone for a top-10 pick. Either they take a goalie with one of those two picks, or they try to move up if one of Juolevi/Sergachev/Chychrun are still around. Anything else seems unnecessary.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Leafs winning the lotto pretty much squashed any Stamkos possiblities id imagine. I think if you want to move into the top 10 a second time youre gonna have to bring more value than you'd think. The dropoff is huge outside the top 9 prospects imo. If you trade that far back you're gonna want a little more than some meh prospect because youll be missing out on some quality guys.

I'm also not convinced the Leafs dont end up picking Laine with how hard hes closed the gap. Liiga MVP with some monsterous goals plus started the WC off on a good note today head to head with Auston.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2016-05-03 at 10:25 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen much of either to say which is likely to be picked first. I guess the WC is where Laine can prove himself more and maybe even upset Matthews as the first pick.

I'd still love to have Stamkos. Passing up on an elite player would be crazy. We will have 3 A+ prospects who will likely won't be UFAS before any contract we sign with Stamkos has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Yeah Leafs winning the lotto pretty much squashed any Stamkos possiblities id imagine. I think if you want to move into the top 10 a second time youre gonna have to bring more value than you'd think. The dropoff is huge outside the top 9 prospects imo. If you trade that far back you're gonna want a little more than some meh prospect because youll be missing out on some quality guys.

I'm also not convinced the Leafs dont end up picking Laine with how hard hes closed the gap. Liiga MVP with some monsterous goals plus started the WC off on a good note today head to head with Auston.
    We haven't had a franchise centre since Sundin, I can't see us passing on him.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2016-05-03 at 11:18 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    We haven't had a franchise centre since Sundin, I can't see us passing on him.
    Maybe I'm just too high on Nylander because man that kid is good. Maybe not franchise beastmode #1 but if Nylander and Kadri were my top 2 centers with Marner and Laine in there I'd be more than stoked. Idk if Kadri can slide to the wing but i also dont think hes fit to play 3rd line center. you want more of a defensive 2 way oriented guy in that role imo.

also the draft dives a bit after the 2nd tier of forwards (PLD, Tkachuk, Nylander) and the top 3 d men. I think you'd be hard pressed to acquire something in that range. If a team wants to part with pick 7-10 for late first round picks they go from players projected to be top 6 F/top 4 D to high bust potential. I doubt anyone trades back for 31st and Pitts first and if they do they should be fired.
    A lot of GMs make questionable decisions but I'm sure we have the assets to package to move up depending how badly our management wants a player on that range.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    A lot of GMs make questionable decisions but I'm sure we have the assets to package to move up depending how badly our management wants a player on that range.
    jake gardiner should do the trick then

Maybe I'm just too high on Nylander because man that kid is good. Maybe not franchise beastmode #1 but if Nylander and Kadri were my top 2 centers with Marner and Laine in there I'd be more than stoked. Idk if Kadri can slide to the wing but i also dont think hes fit to play 3rd line center. you want more of a defensive 2 way oriented guy in that role imo.
    I'll be happy with either but I think Matthews is too much to pass on even if Laine is closing the gap. Either way at least the other is out of our conference. Kadri will likely be a permanent centre with Nylander a winger on pp if I had to guess.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    on the 3rd line? i just dont see where the shutdown line is gonna come from.
    @moving up your best chance would be to trade with Arizona who need D badly. Buffalo is a tough trading partner in division and Montreal has no business tradig that pick away with their current defense pool. Similar case for Colorado. I'm sure Gardiner is who most of those teams would covet but i wouldent give him up. Anyone else is a crapshoot and i just dont see a deal other than him.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kadri was a better two way player under Babcock this year to be honest and he was decent under Carlyle too even though they were giving up shitloads of shots per game. With either Laine or Matthews on your first line, Bozak is expendable, but if there are teams looking for a true #2 centre right now (and I am sure there are going to be), he is a guy who will thrive in that role on another team. I can see JVR sticking around depending on who they draft, I don't know what the market is like for a big body winger right now but the Leafs are after two things and that is picks and prospects, which JVR would fetch a good prospect from a team that is going to make the playoffs as well as a lower pick. I mean, the Leafs got him in a 1 for 1 from Philadelphia, so it shouldn't be too hard to flip it for something better. He might be a fit for Calgary or Edmonton, the latter especially needs more size in their top 6, but I don't think the Leafs would trade him for any of their overhyped 1st overall picks and NHL busts like Yakupov.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think JVR is a good asset to keep around when you get competitive tbh.

on the 3rd line? i just dont see where the shutdown line is gonna come from.
    @moving up your best chance would be to trade with Arizona who need D badly. Buffalo is a tough trading partner in division and Montreal has no business tradig that pick away with their current defense pool. Similar case for Colorado. I'm sure Gardiner is who most of those teams would covet but i wouldent give him up. Anyone else is a crapshoot and i just dont see a deal other than him.
    Probably not this year, but eventually when Matthews and Nylander have more experience Kadri will either be 3c or Nylander will return to wing. Neither Buffalo nor Montreal will likely trade internally in the division, but someone like Benning doesn't strike me as the most competent GM. I think you're underestimating most of our prospects besides Nylander and we have management that has been making some nice deals.

The problem with JVR is that he will be a UFA after 2 years, which is maybe when we begin to get competitive. He has probably played well enough to command 6M, maybe a bit more in a couple years if salaries rise? He is a sure thing, and obviously harder to replace, but I'd rather get a solid young D or higher first rounder for him than re-sign him when the time comes. Hopefully he blows everyone away next year and makes me eat shit, though.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just like him as a player, the fact that he's in his prime right now and will be for 2-3 more years at least ontop of the experience he brings to a lineup is invaluable. You can't just turn around a rebuild by taking your best prospects top to bottom in the lineup. Didn't work for the Oilers and it won't work for anyone else. You need some guys with experience, it makes a huge difference when trying to get over the hump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdkrEUhiClo

Laine with the beautiful pass right through Hendricks legs and just out of reach of Hanifin to do anything about it. I'm so jealous of the Jets with Kyle Connor and Laine ontop of what they already have with Ehlers.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2016-05-04 at 03:12 AM.

Well 4-1 win, guess we aren't out of it yet. Ribiero got benched and replaced by Aberg who was playing his first NHL game I believe. Didn't even notice he wasn't there. Hopefully we get rid of him.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well 4-1 win, guess we aren't out of it yet. Ribiero got benched and replaced by Aberg who was playing his first NHL game I believe. Didn't even notice he wasn't there. Hopefully we get rid of him.
    never give up hope! unless you lose game 4 then its over lol.

It's NHL playoffs - nothing is over until the final whistle of the clinching game!

Nashville and STL pulling out huge wins last night Guess they decided to make a series of these.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I thought St. Louis would handle Dallas pretty easily. I think the Dallas goalie issues and weaker D Corp is going to cost them in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    I thought St. Louis would handle Dallas pretty easily. I think the Dallas goalie issues and weaker D Corp is going to cost them in the end.
    Kris Russell looks like a forward playing D, a terrible forward. Shit was sloppy as hell.