10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't that how it's always been in the Souls games though? I'm not sure what makes DS3 magic any worse. I haven't tried all of them to be fair, but Pyromancy seemed pretty damn strong when I tried it (hitting 1k+ chaos vestiges).

10+ Year Old Account
    Pyromancy and Sorcery scales oddly. Unlike melee which has a softcap that tapers off real quick, sorcery and pyromancy scale higher the more stats you put into it. At 70 int you're hitting like a truck at that point and anything that stands in your way is tissue essentially.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its just not satisfying though. to stop, strike a pose and go full turret mode feels like a dead stop. Firing off tentacles by ripping open a small dimensional tear in the air or something inbetween air dashing like something out of armoured core just feels better even if the list of abilities is too damn small.

The lightning spear for example is the most absolutely underwhelming thing in DS3.
    Once again you are being biased towards Bloodborne. Dark Souls 3 is just, "Striking a pose and going turret mode" but Bloodborne is "Opening a small dimensional tear in the air."

Have you seen the giant fire rasengan you can throw? Have you seen the pillars of heavenly light you can make burst from the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Pyromancy and Sorcery scales oddly. Unlike melee which has a softcap that tapers off real quick, sorcery and pyromancy scale higher the more stats you put into it. At 70 int you're hitting like a truck at that point and anything that stands in your way is tissue essentially.
    Problem lies in the fact that you're limited in what you can do. Like in comparison to melee, i have to run farron sword to mop up mobs, and that's it. Greater Crystal Soul spear hits hard, but feels like it doesn't compared to cast time and the vulnerability you have.

I'm at 90 int :C

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    Problem lies in the fact that you're limited in what you can do. Like in comparison to melee, i have to run farron sword to mop up mobs, and that's it. Greater Crystal Soul spear hits hard, but feels like it doesn't compared to cast time and the vulnerability you have.

I'm at 90 int :C
    I gotta ask, why would you go 90 int? unless you have every other stat at 50.
    And if that isn't the case, that's right off 40 stat points you should be putting in faith or dex instead(Dex affects the speed on your casts)

Unless they changed it since the previous games, the stats soft caps at 40-50

EDIT: I'm hearing that stats soft-caps at 60 in DaS3, but it doesn't seem to be confirmed yet.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2016-05-04 at 08:28 AM.

I went with a lightning lothric sword, levelled it to around +7, stacked FAITH ( A/S scaling ), has a lot of damage in theory, then I ended up doing 100-150 in PvP, while by Lothric Knight Greatsword hits for the 400s.

What gives?

Lightning Spear also hit for around 100-150 what's up with that?

Even a refined Washing Pole hits harder despite poorer scalings and literally lower damage in the status bar. Don't tell me people run around with Lightning resist gear on 24/7 ?
    Last edited by pateuvasiliu; 2016-05-04 at 09:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I went with a lightning lothric sword, levelled it to around +7, stacked FAITH ( A/S scaling ), has a lot of damage in theory, then I ended up doing 100-150 in PvP, while by Lothric Knight Greatsword hits for the 400s.

What gives?

Even a refined Washing Pole hits harder despite poorer scalings and literally lower damage in the status bar. Don't tell me people run around with Lightning resist gear on 24/7 ?
    Endurance gives Lightning Resist in this game, so basically every player has pretty high Lightning Resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Endurance gives Lightning Resist in this game, so basically every player has pretty high Lightning Resist.
    Oh fuck my life, I wish I knew that.

Everyone runs with high END.

I really like the Lothric Knight Greatsword. Is there anything that compares to it, damage wise? Right now I have 31 Strength, so I could probably use any 2h in the game. I want to replace it because around 30% of its damage is lightning, but so far most greatswords I found deal way less.

I really like the Lothric Knight Greatsword. Is there anything that compares to it, damage wise? Right now I have 31 Strength, so I could probably use any 2h in the game. I want to replace it because around 30% of its damage is lightning, but so far most greatswords I found deal way less.
    Apart from the obvious ones that can't be infused.
    Have you tried infusing any weapon with heavy? Should bump up the scaling on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Apart from the obvious ones that can't be infused.
    Have you tried infusing any weapon with heavy? Should bump up the scaling on them.
    Great Club with Heavy still deals less damage, substantially so.

I have my sights set on the Black Knight Greatsword right now, gonna farm it in Farron.

Great Club with Heavy still deals less damage, substantially so.

I have my sights set on the Black Knight Greatsword right now, gonna farm it in Farron.
    Vordt's great hammer is a favorite of mine, 320 damage at +5 with B scaling, oughta check that one out if you haven't yet.
    Shit weapon art, but eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Vordt's great hammer is a favorite of mine, 320 damage at +5 with B scaling, oughta check that one out if you haven't yet.
    Shit weapon art, but eh.
    Alreayd used the soul, might get it for NG+.

Got the Black Knight Greatsword in only 2 drops, lady luck is smiling.

- - - Updated - - -

That Smouldering Lake giant crossbow sure is annoying but by putting the worm between me and it I managed to get it to kill the worm while I was safe and sound behind a rock.

15+ Year Old Account
    So for a sorcerer which Staff would be the best right now i'm using a +10 heretic staff (want to get a mendicant one for the bonus souls)

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Then you're probably being stupid and dumping your stats on vigor and shit since my sorcerer 1 hits mobs fine at least until the knights before the first boss that actually take 2 hits.
    Negative captain. Are you using the Heavy Soul Arrow spell or the base Soul Arrow?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Isn't that how it's always been in the Souls games though? I'm not sure what makes DS3 magic any worse. I haven't tried all of them to be fair, but Pyromancy seemed pretty damn strong when I tried it (hitting 1k+ chaos vestiges).
    No, Sorcery was actually incredibly awesome (dare I say OP) in Demon Souls, and in both Dark Souls 1 and 2 was at least on par, if not a little more potent (in my opinion at least), than a straight physical build.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Ah yes, Anor Londo. Getting oneshot by people with a rapier. Ain't that great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Finally tried out Demon's Fist weapons... and they suck. I can't even keep mobs down for an entire attack chain when any other fast weapon would keep them stunlocked until I ran out of stamina.
    Yeah, when I played with the moveset it was awesome, but then I tried it in PvP and PvE and not they collect dust in my inventory. XD

- - - Updated - - -

Also, saw this last night. Pyromancer PvP. Its pretty cool because I have yet to see a single Pyromancer in all the "Fight Clubs" I've done. I've seen a couple of Sorcerers, but after their performance I can see why no one does any casters. Oh, and I've seen a single "bow-guy" which threw me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UofWpQuBOc
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

What gives?

When looking up if the dancers blades are any decent I read that they end up shit in pvp because of how defense works. For each damage type it apparently goes through a flat reduction and then a % reduction, so having your damage split between types (like dancers blades having phys / magic and phys / fire) makes you do shit damage since both are separately going through the flat and % reduction where a pure physical weapon just goes through the flat reduction once.

Didn't look into it much further, but that might be your issue as well.

- - - Updated - - -

That Smouldering Lake giant crossbow sure is annoying but by putting the worm between me and it I managed to get it to kill the worm while I was safe and sound behind a rock.
    There was a rock? Shit I just stood behind the thing and dodged every single arrow. Shit was a pain in the ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Also, saw this last night. Pyromancer PvP.
    That was better than I was expecting, seemed pretty fun.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

LIke DS3 but man it has some warts right now. It doesnt live up to its excellence of previous games atm. Poise has been a big issue with the community. PvP is in a bad place. NG+ really took a nose dive. It has too many BB twitchiness/spam in combat. Way too much DS1 influence.

Good game but not up to par of previous versions. It can get better with tweaking and work so I hope From works through it.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    When looking up if the dancers blades are any decent I read that they end up shit in pvp because of how defense works. For each damage type it apparently goes through a flat reduction and then a % reduction, so having your damage split between types (like dancers blades having phys / magic and phys / fire) makes you do shit damage since both are separately going through the flat and % reduction where a pure physical weapon just goes through the flat reduction once.

Didn't look into it much further, but that might be your issue as well.

- - - Updated - - -

There was a rock? Shit I just stood behind the thing and dodged every single arrow. Shit was a pain in the ass.

- - - Updated - - -

That was better than I was expecting, seemed pretty fun.
    Yeah went with Black Knight Greatsword in the end.

Towards the Demon King stairs there's a big rock. The worm won't reset aggro but he can't reach it because you're on solid ground and he can't crawl there. The crossbow will keep firing at you, killing the worm after one minute or so.

Deleted
    So guys, I just started with journey 2 under the assumption that it would be harder. But it isn't...

Am I missing something, or is starting a second journey pointless?