Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My biggest problem with Overwatch

Early Access... YAY!!!

First of all, I'm amazed how accurate people can shoot... I don't think I killed a single enemy, in the three games I played.

But the main problem must be the constant one-shot I suffered from... Or so I thought, until I noticed the Kill Cam..
    From my PoV, I get one-shotted over and over.. Alive and running and then SPLAT!!
    Seeing the Kill Cam tells another story: Hit hit hit hit hit hit hit SPLAT!

Why is there no indication, when you get hit? In Doom/Quake, your sceeen turns red when you are hit. The more damage you suffer, the more red the screen turned... In Overwatch; NOTHING.
    Maybe I have the attention-spam of an earthworm, but health-bar is located so far from your view field, that I cannot look at it all the time, to see if I'm being hit, without loosing sight of friends and foes...

How do people avoid being killed?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is an indicator on top of flinch and sound effects. But I have the same problem sometimes. I just don't see the death coming and then poof, turns out there was someone shooting at me point blank and I didn't hear shit for some reason, lol. At the end of the day I think we just have to be aware of our surroundings and always glance at our health. But it might not hurt to make the indicators more consistent and pronounced.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

When you're attacked, your red ticks will appear in your screen indicating from which direction your being attacked and a distinctive "thwack" noise will occur whenever you are hit, which should give you enough time to dodge out of the way (even if you don't know where you're being attacked, ie just press shift as Tracer or Pharah).

its the same as most fps these days in that there is a red blood smear that appears on the borders which lets you know your about to die, some heroes can be one shot with a snipers headshot and if your in the way of an enemy bastion in siege mode your probs screwed, you have to make use of cover etc etc, if you are having problems dying quickly and your team cant help you change to a tank class hero for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    When you're attacked, your red ticks will appear in your screen indicating from which direction your being attacked and a distinctive "thwack" noise will occur whenever you are hit, which should give you enough time to dodge out of the way (even if you don't know where you're being attacked, ie just press shift as Tracer or Pharah).
    Yeah I don't think this is occurring every time. At least often enough to be very aggravating. There has been times as reinhart where I am standing on a point, waiting for an enemy to come and I just...fall over. And there is a genji putting stars into my back. It's very hard to monitor multiple entrances and my health, when I seem to not be getting any indication of damage location at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Yeah I don't think this is occurring every time. At least often enough to be very aggravating. There has been times as reinhart where I am standing on a point, waiting for an enemy to come and I just...fall over. And there is a genji putting stars into my back. It's very hard to monitor multiple entrances and my health, when I seem to not be getting any indication of damage location at all.
    Sounds like your ping may be high enough that the server registers your death before your computer even receives information that you are being attacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksin the enhance shamy View Post
    its the same as most fps these days in that there is a red blood smear that appears on the borders which lets you know your about to die, some heroes can be one shot with a snipers headshot and if your in the way of an enemy bastion in siege mode your probs screwed, you have to make use of cover etc etc, if you are having problems dying quickly and your team cant help you change to a tank class hero for a bit
    I'm not talking about a sniper, but e.g. McCreed emptying his six shooter, reloading and then shoot me dead..... According to the Kill Cam..

No visual or audio warnings of any kind...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

The damage notification in this game does seem to be lacking.

a mcreed will aim for the belly of his enemy so it aims up each shot and hit your head when he does his six shots in a row, you can jump to avoid the headshots if your quick

10+ Year Old Account
    a mcreed will aim for the belly of his enemy so it aims up each shot and hit your head when he does his six shots in a row, you can jump to avoid the headshots if your quick
    That's only possible, when he shoots you from the front..

Flank or rear, and you can't avoid it, when you have no idea, you're hit.

aye most fps games getting flanked means death so unless you can have perfect aim whilst spinning around 5 times a second there is probs not much you can do about that besides be more aware of where the enemy is and where they will turn up

not sure why you cant see the red indications and noises when you get shot. They are even varied according to whats shooting you. D.VA shooting you for example creates a shattered smybol to indicate being hit by sohtgun pellets

very very certain, mccrees fan the hammer cant headshot.

they did nerf it to have a bigger gap between usage if i remember right.

15+ Year Old Account
    The non-tanks die way too fast and getting 1 shot just isn't fun. It's not like this game has a high skill ceiling and when playing with randoms you probably won't have a healer.

As mentioned there are very obvious red graphics appearing on the screen when you are getting hit....they even show the general direction the damage came from. Is it possible your gfx settings are low so this is disabled? Although I wouldn't have thought it would save much fps....There is also sounds your character will make when taking damage.

Yeah, it's weird that in a game with such great movement/shooting responsiveness it's sometimes hard to say when you are taking damage. I remember that once a McRee shoot me 6 times with his right click when I was flying by, and I didn't even realise that before he reloaded and shot me one last time. There should be way better indicator of your health than a small number at the bottom of the screen.

In beta surprisingly people were keen on having at least 1 tank and 1 healer, even in unranked, i played probably over 200 games and amount of games that didnt have a tank or healer wasnt over 10, especially in ranked people were wary of composition, hero switches, situational counters etc. , of course this might not be the case with the amount of people and quality of people at release.

Dying too fast seems like an awareness issue to me, should be solved over time as one improves himself/herself, one of the most important things is to memorize maps and specific spots on those maps that are advantageous to each hero, like where is the point that widowmaker will sit on or where will she jump to when pressured at close range, or where are the spots for bastion/torbjorn that only has one angle of attack, from where can genji/reaper sneak to backlines so you can prepare in advance, these will become muscle memories and instinct over time as you play.

Recognizing movement patterns also play a huge role , like you see a glimpse of mcree runing past at distance from a window, there are two possible ways he can take , so you approach those point carefully as he will also try to track your movement and flashbang you from a corner as you come out, avoiding that flashbang is top priority
    Last edited by Anaralah; 2016-05-04 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I'm not talking about a sniper, but e.g. McCreed emptying his six shooter, reloading and then shoot me dead..... According to the Kill Cam..

No visual or audio warnings of any kind...
    Have you tried unmuting your game?
    Boomkin/Mage/Whatever in Fatsharkyes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fevyx View Post
    Have you tried unmuting your game?
    Haha, very funny..

On a serious note, volumes:
    Master: 100
    Music: 10
    Effects: 80