Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    ... You didn't tell us anything Kapp didn't say the day competitive mode was released. He specifically stated that it would be brought down to make improvements and would not be playable on release. On more than one occasion. This has been common knowledge since before competitive mode went live.

Time for you to invest in a better crystal ball.
    2 months ago, there was no competitive mode. There was also no confirmation that competitive mode won't be in at release. Now we know for a fact that it won't be.

How did I predict that it almost certainly wouldn't be in for release? No need for a crystal ball, it was blatantly obvious that you can't just dump a major system like competitive mode with less than 2 months before release and expect it to be good.

The issue here is the lack of focus put into competitive and the predictable result is this mess announced today where there will be no competitive on release, and with no clue when it will be done (it could very likely take 1 year, and possibly even up to 6 years).
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2016-05-03 at 02:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    2 months ago, there was no competitive mode. There was also no confirmation that competitive mode won't be in at release. Now we know for a fact that it won't be.

How did I predict that it almost certainly wouldn't be in for release? No need for a crystal ball, it was blatantly obvious that you can't just dump a major system like competitive mode with less than 2 months before release and expect it to be good.
    No, you're right, everyone, even Blizzard, thought it was perfect! But you, and you alone, knew the truth. Thank god for you sir ~~~~ thank god.

Deleted
    Remember the days of competitive FPS' when such a hilarious thing as "matchmaking rating" hadn't even been invented yet? Clans recruited people and decided who got to play matches, and all that mattered was whether the team won or not. Back when Clanbase was a thing, when Counter-Strike was the king (not GO, not Source, but the original.) People who didn't want to partake in Clanbase matches and competitive play would find plenty of 24H servers, some with very high level regular players too.

But then they went and ruined FPS' with Call of Duties and Battlefields and especially consoles. Oh how I yearn for days gone by.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Remember the days of competitive FPS' when such a hilarious thing as "matchmaking rating" hadn't even been invented yet? Clans recruited people and decided who got to play matches, and all that mattered was whether the team won or not. Back when Clanbase was a thing, when Counter-Strike was the king (not GO, not Source, but the original.) People who didn't want to partake in Clanbase matches and competitive play would find plenty of 24H servers, some with very high level regular players too.

But then they went and ruined FPS' with Call of Duties and Battlefields and especially consoles. Oh how I yearn for days gone by.
    But how are people going to flex their epeen when there's no ranked mode?

The unsklled players or going to riot even harder with this game, because it's much more apparent when someone is better than you in an fps.
    "Why does it match me with palyers like this it's unfair!!!"

Deleted

Sorry but times change grandpa, time to let go of your pinecone-cows and pebbles.

10+ Year Old Account

Well said and couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    I disagree.

Launching without ranked mode is a good move as long as they bring it in a month later.
    Gives people time to get into the game.
    Who said a month later?

It's going to take more than a month to fix this disastrous rank system they've dumped onto the beta.

It could well be 1 year later (see HotS), or even 6 years later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    But how are people going to flex their epeen when there's no ranked mode?
    Exactly.

Why play competitive if you can't flex your epeen? You might as well play casual.

It could well be 1 year later (see HotS), or even 6 years later.
    Or it could be 3 weeks with improvements to it over a number of future patches. None of us really knows.

10+ Year Old Account

Want to experience how great that nostalgia is feeling, boot up Quake Live and prepare to get your ass handed to you before you even fire a shot. The reason matchmaking came into play is that it simply is no fun for most of the people to be fragged over and over. What happened to the genre is it branched out with different type of shooters and modes, also match making became a thing in all multiplayer games because people prefer to get in fast rather than to sit in a lobby or server hop constantly.

Anyway i'm not surprised seeing the mess in HoTS they made with constant changes and it still not being right or done.

I think you underestimate the system they had in there.

It was a solid system; and the majority of it is done. It just needs to be tweaked, and also removing monthly seasons. There was also no point in having it in the open beta; because ranked has no part in a few-days of testing and seeing if you like the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    I think you underestimate the system they had in there.

It was a solid system; and the majority of it is done. It just needs to be tweaked, and also removing monthly seasons. There was also no point in having it in the open beta; because ranked has no part in a few-days of testing and seeing if you like the game.
    You can't tweak win "X games to rank up" (X=5) into a MMR system where change in points after a game depends on the MMR of all players in the match by tweaking X.

The whole thing needs to be redone from the beginning.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2016-05-04 at 09:08 AM.

There is MMR already in Overwatch, people won't just be put into queues with random players in quickplay just because there isn't a competative queue.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

if you all would stop buying 90% complete games then i bet they would stop releasing 90% complete games
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    I would not count on it.
    Heh.

10chars

So Overwatch launches with no ranked mode.

So how long will the wait for a ranked mode be? 1 year? 6 years?

It was the development team's top priority, yet it took HotS 1 year to make 3 very minor changes to "revamp" ranked mode (backtracking from 50 leagues to 26, adding a GM league, and displaying points in Masters).

So given that Overwatch's terrible old progression-pretending-to-be-ranked system needs a complete overhaul, it could realistically take many years.

They're aiming for late June, as shared on yesterday's launch Q&A. So it's a month without ranked. I think even you can survive that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    They're aiming for late June, as shared on yesterday's launch Q&A. So it's a month without ranked. I think even you can survive that.
    1 month to fix a system that got every single aspect of competitive wrong? Then either it will be the same disastrous not-really-a-ranked mode with minimal changes (i.e. changing season length) that doesn't address the real issue (rank true skill, not grind progression), or there will be a miracle.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 month to fix a system that got every single aspect of competitive wrong? Then either it will be the same disastrous not-really-a-ranked mode with minimal changes (i.e. changing season length) that doesn't address the real issue (rank true skill, not grind progression), or there will be a miracle.
    You're assuming they weren't working on alternatives during their beta version or have been working on improving it since then. But if you hate Blizzard I'm sure you would think that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you say its wrong, doesn't mean its wrong. Stop copy and pasting the same stupid shit you have been saying for months. No one cares about your opinion on ranked. Seriously. . . not a single person. You dont work for Blizzard, you have never shipped a game, and you lack the technical know how to even make one. No one is asking for, or taking your opinion seriously.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2016-05-24 at 02:46 PM.