Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do not own a hummer, yet I´ve crafted many things where a hammer was required.
    No biggie, you can always find a stone around lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I own 3-4 hammers, too many screwdrivers to remember, 2 complete 1/4" to 1/2" socket sets, 2 complete wrench sets, etc...

How can anyone live without lots of tools????

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I agree on a lot of things. There are certain things I'm willing to spend the money on not to have to do it myself though, like oil changes. I live in an apartment complex, so I don't have a great location to do my own oil changes. Same goes for car washes. I'd rather just spend the $20 to let someone else take care of it.

But with stuff like basic home maintenance and tire changes, I don't really understand why people don't do it themselves. It's not exactly difficult to figure out how to change a door lock, and being able to change your own car tire can save you a lot of time.
    Some thing sure, and oil changes recently were moved to the "yeh lets pay a guy list" its what 10-20 bucks extra and I dont have to ding up my knuckles? DO it, grease monkey.

Break pads on the other hand, thats a 50 dollar part, 45 min of labor, or 300 dollars at a shop, I change my break pads.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

If you do not have the two most ubiquitous tools, it most likely means you are not a functioning adult. Things break, all the damn time. If you do not have the ability to fix them yourself, you are going to have to pay someone else a lot of money to do things for you.

I own them now. Before I had use for them I didn't own them.

I tend to buy things as I need them rather than just for the sake of it. Like at the moment I don't own a hosepipe, because I have no need of one. If in the future I need I hose I'll buy one then.

So many tools. I tend to do any of the work around the house that isn't in need of a permit and doesn't mess with building or safety codes (so no major plumbing/structural/electrical).

Everyone should be able to fix or install the simple shit on their own. Basic plumbing, basic electrical (replacing light switches etc.), some carpentry and just in general a basic understanding of how things work, such as your vehicle. You don't need to be fixing everything, but at least understanding what needs fixing to save yourself some time and money.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    When you can literally type your question into google and get a video back showing you what to do, removes any excuse outside of laziness or stupidity.
    Yeah, I feel like people afraid to even try things is the reason that companies have to build training courses to teach people how to do REALLY basic things. Because there will always be people out there who would probably have the capacity to figure these things out if they just made the attempt, but for some reason they're afraid to make the attempt.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

tape measure, flesh oops flashlight, xacto knife, basic tool kits, screwdriver set, hammer, glue gun, little 2-3 step ladder is handy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by force18 View Post
    tape measure, flesh oops flashlight, xacto knife, basic tool kits, screwdriver set, hammer, glue gun, little 2-3 step ladder is handy.
    I don't have a step ladder. But I'm also 6'5" and have plenty of usable chairs in my apartment if it really came down to that.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Guy is willing to walk miles to get a repair guy, to drive him back out to his car, to fix his tire for him, a process that could take HOURS. Meanwhile the rest of us are back on the road and going 15 min or so later.

ANd he thinks he is not a sucker.

Not a single ounce of respect for "men" like him. I am probably projecting some of my disdain for my worthless pile of a brother-in-law, but honestly this guy sounds like him. Incapable on every level to take care of things himself. (in the handyman realm).

Honestly, if you own a home and are unwilling or able to replace the guts in a toilet, fix a leaky drain, replace a doorknob, fix some rotten wood on your soffit, why do you own a home? Rent an apt or condo. Those places roll repair costs into your rent. Yearly I save thousands of dollars being able to do stuff on my own. Thats something to be proud of.

- - - Updated - - -

20 bucks can get you a multi tool that can tear down a bike.

Obviously full size tool are preferable, but one of those can get the job done.
    its not even a man thing. its functioning human being thing.

hell yes, I delegate. probably more than some of the rest of you. but at the same time, I'm not going to call a handy man ( or wait for my husband to get home) every time a screw gets loose, or a number of other things. if I can fix my dryer with a youtube video and 8 dollar part, I'm not going to pay several $100 and wait as long if not longer as it takes for that part to get to me in a mail - to be installed by a repairman.

you know, I always wondered why do people hate assembling IKEA furniture so much, its in pictures and actualy comes with required tools. I'm starting to think its because we are now a generation of people who find doing things themselves - beneath them.

I don't have a step ladder. But I'm also 6'5" and have plenty of usable chairs in my apartment if it really came down to that.
    lucky. I'm 5'3" and my hubs is not always around to be a big strong tall man for me :P chairs can do in a pinch but not for everything. step ladder for me is an absolute necessity :/
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2016-05-04 at 07:45 PM.

i hate you and your ability to grab things from the upper shelf without a lot of stretching and step stools.

When I moved out of my parent's house I was given a lot of tools. I can understand not having them though. You never think about all the shit you need until you move out on your own. I remember the first week on my own realizing I need to get garbage cans, or the first snowfall when I had to get a snow shovel.

Which reminds me I need to get a ladder to change one of my smoke detectors, the other two I was able to use a chair. And this is after living here for nearly 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    When I moved out of my parent's house I was given a lot of tools. I can understand not having them though. You never think about all the shit you need until you move out on your own. I remember the first week on my own realizing I need to get garbage cans, or the first snowfall when I had to get a snow shovel.
    Working in retail.. shower curtains. No one remembers shower curtains when they move to their own place.

Yeah, I feel like people afraid to even try things is the reason that companies have to build training courses to teach people how to do REALLY basic things. Because there will always be people out there who would probably have the capacity to figure these things out if they just made the attempt, but for some reason they're afraid to make the attempt.
    I dont remember who it was, but I heard a guy talking about how he thought the only real commodity was knowledge/information and in our current age, its value is rapidly decreasing.

20 years ago from no skill to changing out a water heater, it was neigh impossible you either knew or paid someone I imagine. Now, youtube has a video, the price of that knowledge is now zero.

15+ Year Old Account
    In university I lived with some guys who didn't - but that may have been because they knew I had tools. That said, I don't have all that many - but that's because my dad has a 'dream workshop' built into his 3-car garage (no cars allowed, except his sports car, if it's lucky).

My current girlfriend has more power tools than me, though - so that's a thing.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2016-05-04 at 07:51 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    its not even a man thing. its functioning human being thing.

hell yes, I delegate. probably more than some of the rest of you. but at the same time, I'm not going to call a handy man ( or wait for my husband to get home) every time a screw gets loose, or a number of other things. if I can fix my dryer with a youtube video and 8 dollar part, I'm not going to pay several $100 and wait as long if not longer as it takes for that part to get to me in a mail - to be installed by a repairman.

you know, I always wondered why do people hate assembling IKEA furniture so much, its in pictures and actualy comes with required tools. I'm starting to think its because we are now a generation of people who find doing things themselves - beneath them.

lucky. I'm 5'3" and my hubs is not always around to be a big strong tall man for me :P chairs can do in a pinch but not for everything. step ladder for me is an absolute necessity :/
    Yeh, I do not mean to suggest that a woman should not have the same basic skills. Its awesome when they do. I applaud my sister-in-law for being so handy.

I do think that in a relationship that is stuff the woman shouldn't have to deal with if they do not want to though. You wana fix it? Have at it let me know if you want/need help, but to HAVE to do because you mate is incapable......no, I do not like that at all.

It just really bothers me. In this day in age anyone with an ounce of gumption can get it fixed 9 time out of ten, yet they choose not to. Its not a cant, its a choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, step ladders are for short people.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    i hate you and your ability to grab things from the upper shelf without a lot of stretching and step stools.
    Stretching and stepping is good for your body. Bending over a cutting board because all countertops are a foot too short for you is bad for your body.

I think you're getting the better end of the kitchen deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    IKEAing shit together is actually kind of fun. I don't know why people seem to hate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I own both and use them everyday.

Stretching and stepping is good for your body. Bending over a cutting board because all countertops are a foot too short for you is bad for your body.

I think you're getting the better end of the kitchen deal.
    Not when it's glass on the top shelf and then three-bowl crock-pot stations on top of the cabinets that are like 7' high *grumbles*