Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    A whole lot of people don't have any tools whatsoever. And that is perfectly okay.
    It's what keeps the economy going, since entire professions exist on that fact.

Speaking of facts..
    It's more often than not, how bloody amateurs causing more harm to themselves either physically or to their wallet, due to unskilled handling of tools, especially like hammers and screwdrivers.
    Yeah, and how do you become skilled at using tools?...making mistakes, learning from them..trying not to repeat them.
    Harm? Sounds like fear based reasoning...pick up a tool, learn to use it and what it is used for(is Shop/Auto mech class not a thing anymore?)...if nothing else the satisfaction of learning something new will be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have one hammer I constantly misplace....and about a dozen screwdrivers.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    what the actual fuck is that mess. everything is in the wrong place!

except the washer fluid, which is hilarious. don't touch that shit, apparently.

but it looks like it'd be easy to get to most things, so i'm still jealous.
    All things aside, I do love my truck. It has a V8 Magnum motor with a 6 speed manual transmission. Built like a rock, has some moderately decent power and still gets 17mpg for a crew cab size truck.

Both these items were some of the first things I got when I first moved out, cause you never know when you will need them!

Since then the collection has slowly been growing, just got a nice wrench a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Oh I know, all my previous vehicles were simple as well. Hell some were SO simple the back of the headlamp assembly was just right there in the open to change out the bulb. On the 05-09 Dakotas? Hell no...

The passenger side is easy, driver side, fuck that here is $20 hit that for me while you do my oil plz.

You guys think this is bad, should see the engine bay for modern cars like Audi's and BMW's. Its obvious the engineers did not have daily maintenance in mind.
    If you're buying an Audi or BMW you probably have no idea how to do car maintenance anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    When I moved out of my house, my father bought me one of these:

With screwdrivers, wrenches, and a hammer. It's the box I still use, though now it's seriously overstuffed with tools. I need a bigger toolbox, but I have nowhere to keep it in this little apartment.
    My tools exploded out of my tool box and on to peg boards years ago. Peg board is where its at, I keep a small bag under the bench to load up with tools needed for a job, prevents over stuffing and searching. I get being in an apt Peg board may not be in the cards.

Tools, I mean, I dont get not wanting to have and know how to use them. Knowing that pretty much any problem that crops up I can take care of...is extremely reassuring.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I have one hammer I constantly misplace....and about a dozen screwdrivers.
    I had one hammer for a long time and I was the same way. I then bought a second, one stays inside and the other is for outside work. Problem solved for me at least. lol

All things aside, I do love my truck. It has a V8 Magnum motor with a 6 speed manual transmission. Built like a rock, has some moderately decent power and still gets 17mpg for a crew cab size truck.
    I.. tolerate my car. More so now since so much has been replaced and I know I can depend on it even if it runs like shit.

Still need to replace the tie rod though.. that came up a while ago >.>

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    My tools exploded out of my tool box and on to peg boards years ago. Peg board is where its at, I keep a small bag under the bench to load up with tools needed for a job, prevents over stuffing and searching. I get being in an apt Peg board may not be in the cards.

Tools, I mean, I dont get not wanting to have and know how to use them. Knowing that pretty much any problem that crops up I can take care of...is extremely reassuring.
    I challenge you to a workspace fight.

Mine:

Of course my area is mainly for working on.... guns or reloading ammo ;p

As a homeowner I am perplexed as to how someone wouldn't own these basic tools assuming they also owned their own home. It's one thing if you live at home with parents and wouldn't have much use for them, but having your own place.... Doesn't make sense to me.

I paid my mechanic $20 to change the bulbs on my headlights.

But here is the thing, on the last generation Dodge Dakota the driver side bulb, to access it requires taking the battery out, taking the battery tray out, and then removing the plastic liner separating the engine bay from the headlight.

Best $20 I ever spent. Was already there getting an oil change anyhow. LOL
    Yeh some head lights....you know some fuckwad engineer is just laughing his ass off thinking of all the poor saps ripping the skin off their knuckles trying to stretch Armstrong their fingers so they can replace a bulb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post

When I graduate to a place where I can have a peg board for my tools, I'll also be building shit just for the fun of it. I love woodworking.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine:

Of course my area is mainly for working on.... guns ;p
    I'm impressed by how clean the area is. When I lived with my parents and actually had a garage with a workbench it was always an unholy mess. Of course that was more my father's influence than mine.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Mine:

Of course my area is mainly for working on.... guns or reloading ammo ;p
    Oh, Im not taking a pic right now, Its coming out of winter, the shop gets......a tad neglected in the cold months. Really need to put in a wood stove for heat, 2 problems gone at once, heat and scrapwood over load.

That nice though, good lighting for your work area, I want to get shadow free lighting in my shop some time this year, but thats going to be a BIG project, will require a rewire, add in a new circuit, run new outlets, its like 3 shop upgrade in one.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2016-05-04 at 08:20 PM.

I'm impressed by how clean the area is. When I lived with my parents and actually had a garage with a workbench it was always an unholy mess. Of course that was more my father's influence than mine.
    right? it's so shiny.. i just want to go play with all the tools..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    right? it's so shiny.. i just want to go play with all the tools..
    Kinda too shiny. I want my workbench to be wood topped, and full of pits and scratches and holes and dried glue, since I'd likely be drilling and hammering and cutting and gluing things on it. Something more like this:

Kinda too shiny. I want my workbench to be wood topped, and full of pits and scratches and holes and dried glue, since I'd likely be drilling and hammering and cutting and gluing things on it.
    ooh, wood surfaces. but not chopped up, maybe a few dents or scratches but glue is the enemy D;

i'd take a picture of my dad's workspace but i'm ashamed for him. because it really doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by Rezhial View Post
    a homeowner
    I would imagine that the vast majority of homeowners own tools.

Home ownership is declining amongst young people though, and a lot of the time if you live in a rented property the landlord will specify that repairs should be carried out by their handyman. You might be perfectly capable, but they don't know that, and they don't want someone fucking up their property. Plus usually they're to ones liable for any maintenance so it doesn't even cost the tenant anything.

Deleted
    Yes because I live in a house but I'm not surprised to hear some people don't have such tools in their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Fact 1: I have a giant shed expressly for this purpose. Storing of tools, workspace, and so on.

Fact 2: Said giant shed is not used for any of that and is instead full of stuff belonging to the wife.
    My dad had a shed, then mom took over most of it, so dad doubled the size of the shed, mom took that over, so dad put up another shed....mom got that one too. I think at their river house he has a shed that just his, but I am probably wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda too shiny. I want my workbench to be wood topped, and full of pits and scratches and holes and dried glue, since I'd likely be drilling and hammering and cutting and gluing things on it. Something more like this:

I like 2x6 topped benches, rough em up all you want, then just replace the bad for 5 bucks a board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Fact 1: I have a giant shed expressly for this purpose. Storing of tools, workspace, and so on.

Fact 2: Said giant shed is not used for any of that and is instead full of stuff belonging to the wife.
    Nice of you to build a shed for me.