Poll: Mid-game hero swapping is...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    I wish more people were willing to do #3. I usually instalock Pharah on attack and Torb or Symmetra on defense, but am more than willing to swap to whatever our team doesn't have. However, there have been too many games where I'm already set on my hero, and then my team decides they don't want to follow the tips and pick that support we don't have, pigeonholing me into taking the spot. That's not to say we can't win the game with the previous setup, but ti makes it markedly more difficult.
    I really enjoy playing both Reinhardt and Roadhog, so playing tank is never an issue for me. I can handle healing if need be, but it's a role I avoid unless nobody else is grabbing it; usually go with Lucio as my default there.

But I'm definitely going to adjust whatever I wanna play based on what the team needs. Because that's the game. Not maximizing KDR, not lone wolfing for kills. Teamwork to capture points. If your actions don't contribute to that, you're not helping.

If you don't want to switch toons the good news is you don't have to, you can play what ever you want as long as you want but if you get your ass kicked consistently and your team blames you then that's on you. You will just have to learn to live with not winning a lot.

Besides, there are 5 other players on the team, one of them can switch too. Also, this isn't rock paper scissors, Reaper and Mei are natural counters to Roadhog but that doesn't mean they outright win, skill is taken into mind. Against reaper avoid the urge to hook him in and fire your medium range aoe shot at him until he is low on health then hook him in for the face blow. If he gets close use the hook as a tiny stun and then rotate around him while meleeing so he has a hard time targeting you. Skill makes the difference in hard counters.

Just don't be surprised if you are playing widowmaker and Reaper teleports up into your perch to blow your face off, that is his role, yours is to die.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I really enjoy playing both Reinhardt and Roadhog, so playing tank is never an issue for me. I can handle healing if need be, but it's a role I avoid unless nobody else is grabbing it; usually go with Lucio as my default there.

But I'm definitely going to adjust whatever I wanna play based on what the team needs. Because that's the game. Not maximizing KDR, not lone wolfing for kills. Teamwork to capture points. If your actions don't contribute to that, you're not helping.
    I have been finding a lot of success in games with two tanks. Especially a Reinhardt and a Roadhog as Reinhardt puts up the bullet shield and Roadhog pulls them into Reinhardt's melee range. Add a Lucio to get those two there faster and watch heads roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I have been finding a lot of success in games with two tanks. Especially a Reinhardt and a Roadhog as Reinhardt puts up the bullet shield and Roadhog pulls them into Reinhardt's melee range. Add a Lucio to get those two there faster and watch heads roll.
    I will ABSOLUTELY go Roadhog if someone else goes Reinhardt and we've got DPS classes that can capitalize on Roadhog's chain pull. If they're all going Genji/Tracer or something, it's less great, but on defense it's a pretty brutal teamup. Reinhardt's big weakness is coordinated pushes, and Roadhog's best value is in taking out a group's coordination, by yanking an important player out of position.

Overwatch is based on counter picking. It is part of the core identity. Dont come into someone's home and move the furniture around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you start playing Ranked games, If you want to have the best RPS coverage, you need either 2 tanks or 2 support. (always at least one of each)

One of the tanks have to be a shielder (Winston, Rinehardt) and one of the support has to be a direct healer (Lucio, Mercy).
    Want to make newbs uninstall Overwatch? Rinehardt, Roadhog, Lucio = Tears.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2016-05-04 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only worry with Zarya is that she may be a noob-killer. Her particle beam only charges if you're shooting her shields. Outside of times when you're actively capping a point and they can't rush to halt the changeover, they can just . . . not shoot Zarya (or her shielded target).

I *want* to like her, but it seems too reliant on the enemy doing the wrong thing in many cases for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    If you've played Overwatch for a significant amount of time, you know one of the biggest gameplay mechanics is the ability to swap a hero on the fly during a game. This allows you to counter any strategy an opponent puts forth. While it's interesting, I don't think I like it...

When I want to play Bastion, I want to play Bastion. When I want to play Reaper, I want to play Reaper. Consistently I became the guy who gets called out who's not willing to swap to help the team... which sort of now forces me to switch to a character I don't really want to play. I think this is going to be a big deal in public games going forward where someone just wants to play a character they think is fun, but then gets taunted by other players to switch because you're useless against the current comp.

Part of me wants to do what I can to help the team win, but I also want to continue to play the character I want to play.

Thoughts on this?

You have to decide what's more important to you: playing the character you want and losing, or playing a character you might not want and winning. If it's the former, then can you blame your teammates for getting angry at your selfish choice in a team game?

Deleted
    Good. If not for that mechanic, I would bail in the middle of a lot more games than I do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    utterly dislike it, you are completely forced to pick whatever your team did not 99% of the time...
    And you really think that would change if you couldn't switch?

You'd still need someone to shoulder the responsibility of being tank or support (and those that shy away from tank at least have no idea how much fun they are missing out on, to be honest).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're good enough, you can play any hero, any time without being called out but if for example you're sucky at WM and are playing her when you're offense, don't be shocked if people call you out for it. Wanting to have fun on a hero you're no good at is a poor excuse for making other players experience worse, especially when fluid teams is one of the games main points, and if you're trying to get better then play on map/teams best suited for those chars (IE don't try to learn bastion when you're playing offensive on a capture map).

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    My only worry with Zarya is that she may be a noob-killer. Her particle beam only charges if you're shooting her shields. Outside of times when you're actively capping a point and they can't rush to halt the changeover, they can just . . . not shoot Zarya (or her shielded target).

I *want* to like her, but it seems too reliant on the enemy doing the wrong thing in many cases for my liking.
    I've been working on forcing their hand, so to speak, by actively looking for moments where I can put myself in between targets they are already going after that are close (or I think they are about to, if my timing is perfect...usually isn't lol, but better late than never) and pop the personal shield. With good timing, the shield will take hits not meant for Zarya at all, much less her shielded. Similar approach to the shielded target...I try and wait till the last possible moment to give them as little time to stop shooting.

I certainly still need plenty of practice at it, but I think that's part of the key to success with her - forcing mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Hero swapping is the entire point of the game, if you don't like that I don't think the game is for you to be honest.
    I'm glad you said that. I've never played the game nor do I have any interest in it, but I can't help but think the swap idea is very counterintiutive to skill.
    I must be mistake though with a comment like this.
    The other thing that really turned me off from the game was that you can have unlimited amounts of the same champion on each team.
    These two things make me think the game is going to be rampant with over powered comps and most of the skill will come in constantly switching to whatever is a counter instead of learning to play something to a top percentile.

I'm glad people DO like the concept, but I can't get interested in a game like that.
    So I'll stick to my Bad vote, even though I likely am missing a piece of this puzzle.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately unless you like a lot of the heroes' playstyle, Overwatch is likely not the game for you.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I don't see what the issue is. If you're playing on a team that demands people to play certain classes, just find a new team. It is not an issue at all in TF2. All it does is allow people to alter their playstyle depending on what they are up against. It is an immensely important feature for these types of games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Unfortunately unless you like a lot of the heroes' playstyle, Overwatch is likely not the game for you.
    Metas will always exist. That does not mean one cannot find a hero they like and learn how to utilize it properly in any scenario. These games hardly ever have a playerbase good enough to require always countering with the best possible option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

mmmm dont like it very much...

imo, teams should go in with w.e they select, and not be able to fix problems on the fly

still like the game

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    mmmm dont like it very much...

imo, teams should go in with w.e they select, and not be able to fix problems on the fly

still like the game
    What benefit does that add? One starts with their hero already equipped and their lifespans are relatively short. You're not putting investment into any one hero per match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    The constant swapping requires more skill than getting countered in the pick and losing.
    Yeah, I really don't get the "give me less flexibility and choice" argument, at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's been playing Team Fortress since 1999, I think Overwatch's mid-game team swapping is not only fine but required. It's a very smartly-evolved version of Team Fortress's gameplay style with a dash of MOBA rather than being a MOBA with a bit of Team Fortress.

The some of the tightly-focused objective-based maps really require you to think of your current team comp and be willing to swap out if necessary.

One defense team Tracer can be really handy early-on in the payload maps to harass and slow down the offense team, but late in the game you're just running into a meat grinder. Swap out for a Bastion or a Widowmaker and all of a sudden you've got a much more effective tight-space defense. Just an example.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Deleted
    I like it because it gets rid of the 'Lost from the draft' feel that pops up very often in MobAs. It rewards you for practising with multiple heroes, as you never know when you might need to crack open a different set of skills.

However, I think it needs a cooldown. Some games I've found become a little rock-paper-scissorsy, except everyone keeps calling for 'Best out of [next odd interval], so you're stuck in the loop of everyone switching around in a cycle of heroes countering eachother.

it makes it one of the most unique FPSes I ever played