The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't really care.

Though I wonder what cinema could look like with higher refresh rates. Sometimes I'd like to see more detail in the picture...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It's not a temperature anyone should get used to... it can give you heat stroke and/or kill you. There's no getting used to that...
    Well, it's not THAT hot to give me heat stroke, yet.
    Surprising. I never thought I'd see the electrical lightning type stuff in a computer part before... and here we are. I guess it's neat, but yeah the color in comparison to the board looks pretty light. And they are huge and tall and I don't like the ROG look, really, all that much.

[video=youtube;dgAy9fEq6rw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgAy9fEq6rw[video]

Whatchu guys think?
    It looks tacky and I won't see it at all under the D15/no window case anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    In the meanwhile, RIP inputs.
    Think 3840x2160@60Hz with 8bit+HDR is supported on DP1.3. I don't think it supports the 10bit part yet.
    Glhf with that. Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    The refresh rate in cinema was typically 3x frame rate - so ~75 Hz. Each frame is shown three consecutive times because a 24 Hz flicker
    That's why they make 120Hz LCD TVs now, they can simply show each frame 5 times instead of half of them 2 times and the other half 3 times that they need to do with 60Hz displays... (3:2 pulldown).

For 3D movies they go as high as 192Hz, 96 for each eye which is basically 4 refreshes per frame.

The new Rec. 2020 has all those standardized: 120p, 119.88p, 100p, 60p, 59.94p, 50p, 30p, 29.97p, 25p, 24p, 23.976p.
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Tbqh, I am in the 24Hz camp myself. I like motion blur and I feel motion picture in 48Hz or even 60Hz is weird and wrong.
    I understand the "24hz film sensation" thing but soap-opera effect is mostly caused by bad interpolation.

Intentional blur will also remain the way it is, motion blur should be something intended by the director not something caused by the display's deficiency. That's mostly why many videophiles still have a Pioneer Kuro of some sort, a Panasonic ZT-60 or a Samsung F8500. The Plasmas are simply better at fidelity with the source material since they won't create any unintended blur and have perfect motion resolution.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-05-05 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, is motion blur sort of like 24Hz*3 or something then? I'm so confused where the 75Hz came from.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, is motion blur sort of like 24Hz*3 or something then? I'm so confused where the 75Hz came from.
    Displays don't refresh at 24Hz do they? So how do they show you a 24fps (23,976fps to be precise) content? Normal standard 60Hz displays just display even frames 2 times and odd frames 2 times. (2+3)/2=2.5 and 2.5*24=60. This, however, will cause half of the film to stay more time at the display than the other half, and the effect it gives to the movement of things is called judder. We increased from 60Hz to 120Hz to eliminate this problem since at 120Hz we can simply repeat each frame 5 times and be happy.

144Hz was born from 3D. Why? Because at 1220Hz to do 3D you'll end up having to do 3:2 pulldown which causes judder. At 144Hz you divide it in half for each eye, which gives you 72Hz per eyes and 72Hz is a direct multiple of 24Hz. Simply show each frame 3 times per eye.

Motion blur comes from another thing. Nowadays most of it comes from the sample-and-hold nature of LCD/OLED displays. But it can also be causes by slow cells (mainly a LCD problem).

Try do to a smooth movement with your eyes from the left to the right on your field of view, you can't. Your eyes can only do smooth movements when they're tracking a moving object and they're used to work this way. Your brain is conditioned to "lock" and move your eyes accordingly when you're trying to look at something that is moving.

Now imagine a display, simplifying things you can say that each frame will stay at the screen for 0.04s. Your brain will try to do a smooth movement with your eyes like it would normally do with real life moving objects but the display will only change what's on screen after a 0.04s interval. Which leads to a problem, your eyes will see the same image for more than one perspective (since it'll move smoothly) when they're expecting to be following something with this movement.

This will make your brain understand the image as blur.

So why CRTs, Plasmas, low-persistent OLEDs and BFI-capable LCDs are immune to eye-tracking motion blur? Because they don't keep the image, they pulse it in short intervals which also resets the movement tracking on your eyes at each frame. Meaning that you'll be able to see them all clearly.

CRTs and Plasmas work like this by default, Plasmas for example can only make their pixels turn on or turn off and there's no middle value or any gradient. How do they show dark and bright scenes then? How do they control the amount of light? Simple, the display isn't exactly refreshing at 60Hz. It does this at higher values like 600Hz or 960Hz sub-field-drive which up to 10~16 pulses per normal frame. Pulsing 10~16 times at a given frame will result into "white", not pulsing will give you "black".

OLEDs can be done as low-persistent displays as well, the Oculus Rift uses a low-persistent OLED display. Which is probably just doing the same thing as BFI-Capable LCDs, inserting black frames in between real frames to reset the motion tracking in order to make the movements clearer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the OLEDs on the Rift/Vive are both black insert ones.

< still issue with black insert cause of the inherent nature of the flicker.

I bought a deep fryer. It was a great idea in hindsight. Still is.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    In other news the battery of my phone went crazy and now the phone simply says "no, I won't keep myself turned on with this shit" and reboots when it's on battery.

Same happens when testing with other phones so the problem must be the battery in particular...

I think it was caused by fast charging plus a wrong gauge reading which would probably result into the phone charging the battery with a too high voltage for the capacity it was at, damaging it. Now I want to see if things go back to normal if I bring this battery down to 20% and recharge with a super slow charge, but I have no idea about how would be the best way to discharge a phone battery that can't be used at phones.

Put a 5V LED at it perhaps? Maybe after some days it would be enough lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I bought a deep fryer. It was a great idea in hindsight. Still is.
    Ive burnt myself on the hand two times trying to fry something on my stove. Also my cousin started a fire in my house trying to make some fries, thank god I grabbed a pair of my jeans and stopped the fire. So be careful man. I heard peanut oil was good for frying?

Also my video drivers are acting wierd. It update son its own, but when ever I restart it reminds me to update! So idk what is going on there...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Be careful with frying anything especially stove top. It should not be drenched in liquid or have a huge amount of water, it'll cause a lot of water vapors to be released too fast and cause oil to spill over, and if it's stove top, cause a fire. It's how a lot of fires for turkey frying happens. In general do not fill up the pan/pot past 50%, for safety reasons. Essentially don't have it overflow when you stick in your stuff. Commercial fryers use wires / coils in the oil to heat it directly and don't have as big of an issue due to better control.
    Canola oil or peanut oil are good frying oils to use. Canola is the most neutral in terms of taste if you're worried about oil specific flavors going in. Peanut oil is good cause of the high smoke point.

Most of these should be common sense but... apparently it's not, so...

Some time 6 or more years ago culinary school happened. >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    That polaris 10 thread is starting to become AMD x Nvidia all over again.

I like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys...

THE TIME HAS COME!!!!

GO GO GO GO GO

"A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm going to go with a mid-tier cheap Polaris card and a 40" curved VA "4K" TV as monitor.

I haven't joined this ship yet because the goddamn TVs don't have display-port and my dinosaur card doesn't have HDMI 2.0

I'm just wondering if 40" would be too big, my mind says it'll...

10+ Year Old Account
    DP 1.4 thoughhhhhh
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    DP 1.4 thoughhhhhh
    It's certified as DP 1.3 and "DP 1.4 ready" according to Nvidia, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    idk, I was reading a techpowerup article about it last night and they literally said "3x DP 1.4 ports. Yes, that's one point FOUR."
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk, I was reading a techpowerup article about it last night and they literally said "3x DP 1.4 ports. Yes, that's one point FOUR."
    Shit. I'll have to find where I read it now...

I'm screwed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I think I'm going to go with a mid-tier cheap Polaris card and a 40" curved VA "4K" TV as monitor.

I haven't joined this ship yet because the goddamn TVs don't have display-port and my dinosaur card doesn't have HDMI 2.0

I'm just wondering if 40" would be too big, my mind says it'll...
    Just use 20'' and half the viewing distance. Problem solved. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Just use 20'' and half the viewing distance. Problem solved. ^_^

Seriously though, I don't even think I can fit a 40" at my computer desk the way it is currently. Plan would be to hang it on the wall but I have a low shelf which would give me problems.

I'd rather buy an 34" Ultrawide or even a normal 27" monitor but prices don't help. Why is a 40" TV of better quality cheaper? T.T

10+ Year Old Account
    The TVs are in higher demand, that's why they are cheaper. The curved 34" beauties? Yeah, not many people want to spend that much/much less use their computer enough to warrant it. So yeah, it's going to stay expensive, just like the damned 27" 1440p monitors did for SO DAMN LONG. The technology was obviously not new anymore but still those things NEVER CAME DOWN IN PRICE.

Not enough people were in the market for them. 1440p isn't a big enough jump over 1080p for 99% of people, thus no mass production = more expensive.

Just get the curved 34" Samsung (or whichever one you want) and you can thank me later.

Or don't thank me, it's okay. :P
    "A flower.