Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    People (the majority who have the money, I believe) are willing to spend that to not do the work.
    And that's why we're mocking them - they're spending money that's probably at least twice, if not more, what they make an hour for what's generally a very simple fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    People (the majority who have the money, I believe) are willing to spend that to not do the work.

- - - Updated - - -

Those results and skills are atypical. Families are not commonly associated with someone as you, let alone formed by them.
    Those are normal from my perspective, its the people that cant do it that are the oddballs. Home repair is always done best by yourself, carpenters like to cut corners.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    And that's why we're mocking them - they're spending money that's probably at least twice, if not more, what they make an hour for what's generally a very simple fix.
    *shrug* It's certainly one of the better examples of that. I totally understand why they wouldn't want to bother with it, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Those are normal from my perspective, its the people that cant do it that are the oddballs. Home repair is always done best by yourself, carpenters like to cut corners.
    As I said, you're completely in the minority

Carpenters are held liable in most cases. (Edit: unless that was *just* a well-crafted pun.)
    Last edited by OreoLover; 2016-05-05 at 05:46 AM.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

10+ Year Old Account
    *shrug* It's certainly one of the better examples of that. I totally understand why they wouldn't want to bother with it, though.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, you're completely in the minority

Carpenters are held liable in most cases. (Edit: unless that was *just* a well-crafted pun.)
    Its a sad thing that I am.

Look at most new houses going up, and you can see it easily.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its a sad thing that I am.

Look at most new houses going up, and you can see it easily.
    Some of my family builds homes in California and Texas. Very little room for corner cutting that would be worth a damn. Inspectors come in at various mandated stages, and in the end you're legally liable if any sort of electrical fire, collapse, water damage, etc. happens due to poor construction.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Yes, do people not get them as gifts/presents as you are getting closer to move? I got mine as a kid because you can do a lot of fun stuff with them and old items.

A hammer?

We have at least 20 hammers, and probably at least 50 screwdrivers, along with dozens of tool boxes, dedicated to different purposes, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, drywalling, auto repair, etc. Every imaginable power tool, gigantic compressor, welder, big ass tractor, enough scaffolding to build our own cathedral, and oh, I counted the clamps one day. There were 238, and my husband's bought more since.

There's probably enough tools in our garage to open our own Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    On FB I belong to a group for my neighborhood. This way everyone in the area can keep up to date on happenings and what not, yard sales, lost dogs, etc etc.

This was posted by someone a few minutes ago:

Maybe I am overblowing it, but how does someone not own a hammer and a screwdriver? To make matters worse, this is a neighborhood of homeowners. How do you own a house and not have these two common tools? I'd even go as far as saying renters would strike me just as odd not having them.
    Every single adult living on their own should have a basic tool set at least.

Our society becomes more helpless and incapable by the year.

Its funny but this movie fucking hit it right on the head

Our future as being written today

I have both! Yay!

Though as I mentioned in another thread, I'd leave anything regarding electricity and plumbing to the pros

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I personally don't have need for hammers. If I can get myself worked up enough, I'll just punch through whatever needs hammering with my bare hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Disagree. You're not technically allowed to do bathrooms/rooms with plumbing yourself in Norway, due to people not knowing what to do, which leads to water damage that insurance companies have to pay, and since water damage is costly... I agree with that law, same should go for electricity.

Well duh. Hammer, universal (? the one where you can change heads from - to + to those hex screwheads) screwdriver and electric screwdriver - drill. And I live in a god damn flat, not a house, where such tools would be useful more days.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    Disagree. You're not technically allowed to do bathrooms/rooms with plumbing yourself in Norway, due to people not knowing what to do, which leads to water damage that insurance companies have to pay, and since water damage is costly... I agree with that law, same should go for electricity.
    So you believe in losing personal freedom to fix your own house to the benefit of a corporation sucking money from you and all under the threat of the govt.

Explains how things have gotten to this point in society

Plumbing & Electric usually aren't what people mean by home repair when it gets to that point Fixing a toilet yes, changing the pipes no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of my family builds homes in California and Texas. Very little room for corner cutting that would be worth a damn. Inspectors come in at various mandated stages, and in the end you're legally liable if any sort of electrical fire, collapse, water damage, etc. happens due to poor construction.
    Im willing to bet there is more than a few sheets of inferior waferboard in those houses.

- - - Updated - - -

Plumbing is easy (just messy), electrical is even easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Plumbing & Electric usually aren't what people mean by home repair when it gets to that point Fixing a toilet yes, changing the pipes no.
    Eh, plumbing is easy to do, far more so than in years past. Electrical is just common sense and Ohms Law.

Eh, plumbing is easy to do, far more so than in years past. Electrical is just common sense and Ohms Law.
    Realllly depends on the problem; if it's snaking a drain, that's not so much an issue. If it's leaking inside the wall or exploded, there's several code issues to deal with, in addition to hazards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Realllly depends on the problem; if it's snaking a drain, that's not so much an issue. If it's leaking inside the wall or exploded, there's several code issues to deal with, in addition to hazards.
    I prefer to keep my pipes out of walls as much as possible. Thats what the basement is for.

I prefer to keep my pipes out of walls as much as possible. Thats what the basement is for.
    i've never lived in a house with a basement which is why plumbing beyond snaking has always been a "call the plumber" thing.. there's zero access besides tearing shit up.

I'm a framer so I have access to pretty much any tool you could ever imagine. If it's not in the tool trailer it's at the bosses shop. Pretty nice, I like building furniture in my spare time so it's nice having lots of tools and the ability to use them.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Impact driver baby!