Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i play overwatch at work on my surface pro 3, runs fine on low settings. no gpu. just saiyan

10+ Year Old Account
    Airflow doesn't get impaired to the point you'll notice a 20C temperature drop untill the fan is actually having trouble spinning.

If this fan would be your CPU fan, and it would spin at 90% strength.. that wouldn't be enough to rise your temps by 20C. Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMONKEYDROID84 View Post
    i play overwatch at work on my surface pro 3, runs fine on low settings. no gpu. just saiyan
    If it had no GPU you would not be running it. The CPU in the device has also a GPU like most desktop Intel CPU's to today.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Right, but clogged fins in the heatsink can easily cause these issues... Especially if they haven't cleaned it in 5 years.
    Exactly. If you had an amazing fan that were clean, if the heat-sink fins are filled with dust no air will flow trough them and it will be like there is no fan cooling it at all (it would be like a passive cooler at that point).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to be something like this:

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    I'd have to be something like this:

Lol.
    If you actually look below the fan you can see how the dust has filled the heat-sink and prevents airflow. That's the issue I had (fan was working fine, dust covered heat-sink was getting very low airflow).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Melra View Post
    Hey!

I am currently running a pretty old setup while saving up a bit more so I can order new components,

Right there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    If you actually look below the fan you can see how the dust has filled the heat-sink and prevents airflow. That's the issue I had (fan was working fine, dust covered heat-sink was getting very low airflow).
    Obviously why i linked the photo.

Blizzard games have tendency of overheating systems. I and many others had this issue during 200 serie of NVidia cards when SC2 released. It caused them to go at 100% for some reason until a patch and it caused many cards to fry
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    1) Currently Medium
    2) i5 750 2.6Ghz (OC by mobo to 3.2) and I am using stock since EVO 212 cooler wouldn't fit in with my Haf 932 case unless I ripped everything out and adjusted the backplate's hole
    3) GTX 960 Strix 4Gb OC

Overclocking with a stock cooler.

/facepalm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenora View Post
    Overclocking with a stock cooler.

/facepalm
    Nothing wrong with that as long as your temperatures don't go above and beyond

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    Nothing wrong with that as long as your temperatures don't go above and beyond
    I won't Overclock my i7 and my coolers a H100i. Too scared to dabble with something I have no knowledge in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenora View Post
    I won't Overclock my i7 and my coolers a H100i. Too scared to dabble with something I have no knowledge in.
    Okay well, I do have the knowledge and you could easily push that to 4.5GHz with no risk at all

Even if you fuck something up, the computer will shut itself down long before any damage occurs.

1) Currently Medium
    2) i5 750 2.6Ghz (OC by mobo to 3.2) and I am using stock since EVO 212 cooler wouldn't fit in with my Haf 932 case unless I ripped everything out and adjusted the backplate's hole
    3) GTX 960 Strix 4Gb OC
    The Evo 212 will easily fit in the HAF 932.

Source: I own a HAF 932 with a Evo 212 in there. Fits no problems at all.

Threads about overheating CPU's must all be people who OC with a stock cooler or don't know what they are doing.

OW runs like a sun on my older rig ( i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz, 8gb ram and R9 280x Toxic ) can even push it to Epic with no drops below 60 and CPU stays nicely around 60 degrees max with a Dark Rock 3 cpu cooler.
    There is no game that will cause overheating issues to your cpu if it is setup correctly.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If your CPU is overheating, then your system lacks cooling. If a game that uses as much CPU power as it can breaks your system, your system was broken from the start.

Its an old myth that comes up for all kinds of games again and again, but the fact remains that your system is just not capable of handling the load, nothing the game is to blame for.
    If a system is not designed to run at 100% for a sustained time, then its just badly designed.
    You're wrong.
    CPUs usually lock themselves for example on Laptops once they hit a certain "Temp" to save itself from overheating. That should be the case with these CPUs as well.

In addition to that, CPUs are meant to be pushed. But programs such as Prime95 would annihilate a CPU, and perhaps Overwatch is doing just the same - Putting way to much pressure on the CPU. But I do agree that proper cooling is needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    You're wrong.
    CPUs usually lock themselves for example on Laptops once they hit a certain "Temp" to save itself from overheating. That should be the case with these CPUs as well.

In addition to that, CPUs are meant to be pushed. But programs such as Prime95 would annihilate a CPU, and perhaps Overwatch is doing just the same - Putting way to much pressure on the CPU. But I do agree that proper cooling is needed.
    You could run prime95 24/7 for 3 years straight on a PC and it should still work just fine.
    As long as your cooling is setup correctly and the optional overclock isn't way past the boundaries it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    You're wrong.

If your system can't deal with full load, then your system is crap. Harsh, but true. Gaming laptops are a sham due to such reasons, among others.

My systems can all run Prime95 for an infinite amount of time without throttling down. The worst that should happen on "stock" PCs is that they disable their turbo boosting which brings them above their base clock, but if any more happens (ie. it actually throttles below the base speed, or even breaks down), then your system is just badly setup.

In fact Prime95 is regarded as a popular stability test for CPUs, as it does push the CPU to its limit - but it doesn't push it over the limit, so any good setup should be capable of sustaining this.

Its not an acceptable behavior of your hardware just because much "consumer" PCs appear to work this way. If a CPU cannot run at full load over an extended amount of time, what good is that really? Should a game be artificially limited to not use all the power your PC has to offer, just in case it runs on a system without proper cooling?
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2016-05-05 at 02:59 PM.

Deleted
    As I mentioned before my issue was fixed. All these "lol overclocking with stock cooler", stop trying to look smart you are looking like a jackass since I already mentioned it was overclocked years ago without my knowing initially, since I never ran into issues before I had no reason to revert it. Nor do I have issues anymore either since I fixed them.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    The Evo 212 will easily fit in the HAF 932.

Source: I own a HAF 932 with a Evo 212 in there. Fits no problems at all.
    It wont fit for me with my motherboard, the alignment is off and I'd need to take whole motherboard off to install it, considering most of the parts are rather old I rather not take the risk of moving things around.

7+ Year Old Account
    Games can't overheat systems. Lack of proper cooling overheats systems. When I built mine, Prime95 only got my CPU up to about 65C. I don't own OW but if Prime95 only takes me up to 65C then no game is going to. And I'm using better cooling now than I was when I did my Prime95 burn in test.