Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Is it that big a deal? (Especially with a gear set manager.)

Speaking of iLv ... it kind of beats the point of having levels at all doesn't it. I mean iLv and Lv serve the same purpose in gear treadmill MMOs - they are straight up power increases. Heck, gear might as well not be unequipable, you never unequip them anyway except to toss them aside for replacement. Having gear that can be swap out is pointless.
    Yeah, it really is that big of a deal. I remember when WoW used to do this, needing to carry that extra set of resist gear for certain fights. Then, there's always that one guy who left one piece in his bank accidentally and you have to wait on him to find it. Or the guy that somehow lost part of his set somewhere and has to go find it. Another set of gear that you had to gear a new member up in. I was also a Warlock and had to have yet another set of gear for a certain boss fight that you used a warlock in a specific set of gear to tank. Your warlock that has that set of gear not there that night? Well, guess we can't clear that boss that night. Blizzard stopped doing this for a reason so yeah, it is a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    What Sodium brings up is why everyone knows glamour is the true end game.

They should put more things hidden away in places, randomly spawning treasure chests with a chance for unique glamour gear, etc.

But then, I can't push for more more more more more since XIV has some of the best crafted gear for looks in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few anime inspired (concept wise) outfits. The Slayers or Log Horizon have some good caster character designs that aren't just robes.
    While I always like the idea of more visual options, before they throw even more outfits at us, they need to implement a proper wardrobe system.
    If you craft, inventory space is ridiculously limited as it is.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, it really is that big of a deal. I remember when WoW used to do this, needing to carry that extra set of resist gear for certain fights. Then, there's always that one guy who left one piece in his bank accidentally and you have to wait on him to find it. Or the guy that somehow lost part of his set somewhere and has to go find it. Another set of gear that you had to gear a new member up in. I was also a Warlock and had to have yet another set of gear for a certain boss fight that you used a warlock in a specific set of gear to tank. Your warlock that has that set of gear not there that night? Well, guess we can't clear that boss that night. Blizzard stopped doing this for a reason so yeah, it is a big deal.
    For activities outside of raiding it's fine right?
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    While I always like the idea of more visual options, before they throw even more outfits at us, they need to implement a proper wardrobe system.
    If you craft, inventory space is ridiculously limited as it is.
    *snicker* That's true, but at the same time, how guilty are we of hoarding gear "for glamour" that we never actually glamour? I know I have 3 or 4 tabs of retainer space taken up by gear I don't use for glamour, but tell myself I want to keep it for that purpose. X3

Still, I do agree something like what WoW is implementing would be good, with x number of presets allowed.

Set has 6 pieces = need 6 appropriate glamour prisms to activate. Allows the flexibility and freedom of inventory space while still keeping the crafting related aspect of glamour prisms. Or piece by piece.

Also, don't prisms currently require their identified level? So a low level piece requires a level 1 glamour prism? I'd like to see that act like melding carbonized matter - Requires level x or above."

For activities outside of raiding it's fine right?
    AS poor as FFXIVs inventory management is, no, not really. Don't really want yet another set of gear to carry around.

- - - Updated - - -

Still, I do agree something like what WoW is implementing would be good, with x number of presets allowed.
    I recently started playing Rift a bit again and I love what they have done with their system. It was already nice, but now, when you pick up a piece of gear, you get it's "Fashion Model" added to your list of stuff you can put on in your wardrobe. Once you have the Fashion Model, you no longer need to hold on to the piece of gear. You can sell it, drop it, whatever. Once you had the item in your inventory once, it is always available for you to select from your wardrobe. I was able to clear out so much inventory space upon returning because of this.

In addition, they have something like up to 20 presets you can have and switch between them as you wish. Most of the additional slots are unlocked through the cash shop, but that's a different story.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    AS poor as FFXIVs inventory management is, no, not really. Don't really want yet another set of gear to carry around.
    Inventory is a technical problem.

Gameplay-wise it's no big deal right.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

15+ Year Old Account

Gameplay wise it does suck. I remember back in 2007 my paladin in WoW was essentially barred from doing Hydross the Unstable because I didn't have a frost resist set and it was too expensive and time consuming to craft. Add to that the small inventory space I had and it was a hassle. I see much the same happening here. I wound up not clearing SSC or TK because my guild picked up a tank who did have it.
    Last edited by Advent; 2016-05-05 at 02:26 PM.

Yeah, it is, because even if they fixed the inventory side of it, that's still yet another, entirely seperate, gear treadmill that you'll have to go through and it would be for only specific things even, not an entire line of things. As it is we have one big gear treadmill for raiding and a seperate one for PvP if you choose to do that. Now there is going to be another one for Deep Dungeons as that will have it's own separate gear. Hopefully, this gear is equivilent to raiding gear so that if you already have the raiding gear you can just use it. If you do not, then if/when you do get it, it will just replace your Deep Dungeon Gear. Now you are talking about adding a 4th set, that will only be used for specific bosses, possibly a 5th/6th/7th set for different types of resistances needed at different times? Yet more sets to grind out in addition to what is already there. There is already far too much to do in the game. Instead of focusing on adding additional gear treadmills why not just focus on adding more engaging game-play?

They are going to be adding to the Armory Chest soon. So, more gear to carry around is coming. I think separating gear and inventory helps a LOT as you should have any gear you need to wear in the armory chest as opposed to looking through your inventory. It's also nice that you don't have to buy inventory slots. And even if they add more tabs to it, as long as they keep what we have now, it won't be a big deal for most players until max level.

I do agree that they need to allow us to store any weapon or armor piece in the armoire and use that as a glamour chest essentially. It comes with enough drawbacks to warrant having a very large space. (Or at most add that putting something in there removes the materia on it.) Retainers should be used for keeping gear in a pristine and usable condition.

As for Deep Dungeons, IIRC, Yoshi-P said they're adding items. I don't know if that means gear and I don't know if that means gear outside of the Deep Dungeon. Honestly, DD gear should only have stats inside the dungeon and just be a glamour piece for outside of it. It does mean keeping another set of gear, but you don't need to carry it around all the time unless you want to do the Deep Dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    32 mil, get on my level! *cries*
    For a medium size house.
    I just leech off my FC's house.

Most I've had in this game was 2.2ish million gil. Figure if I get crafting leveled (or gathering at the very least), I can make some decent money. I had accumulated the bit I had mostly from doing daily hunts for what seemed like months on end, back when centurio seals were super useful (for upgrading to the then-BIS ilvl 180 gear).

I think the cheapest I've seen a house advertised for here was 25 mil. I'm honestly surprised there are any houses available, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadewind View Post
    They are going to be adding to the Armory Chest soon. So, more gear to carry around is coming. I think separating gear and inventory helps a LOT as you should have any gear you need to wear in the armory chest as opposed to looking through your inventory. It's also nice that you don't have to buy inventory slots. And even if they add more tabs to it, as long as they keep what we have now, it won't be a big deal for most players until max level.

I do agree that they need to allow us to store any weapon or armor piece in the armoire and use that as a glamour chest essentially. It comes with enough drawbacks to warrant having a very large space. (Or at most add that putting something in there removes the materia on it.) Retainers should be used for keeping gear in a pristine and usable condition.

As for Deep Dungeons, IIRC, Yoshi-P said they're adding items. I don't know if that means gear and I don't know if that means gear outside of the Deep Dungeon. Honestly, DD gear should only have stats inside the dungeon and just be a glamour piece for outside of it. It does mean keeping another set of gear, but you don't need to carry it around all the time unless you want to do the Deep Dungeon.
    but if you don't carry it around all the time then when you do want to do it you have to go get it out of your bank. Rather annoying. It's already pretty annoying to me when I want to level a different class having to find all the gear I have stored up that they will need for the next few levels. Expanding Armory Chest may work, but I have always felt that system is clunky and difficult to navigate.

Time for another controversial thread from NaCl.

I really wish there was more to talk about regarding this game.
    Seems like this statement could not only apply to FF14, but to pretty much any and all MMOs at this point.

Side note: Haven't played any of the Souls series.

Edit: Regarding inventory...

Seems to me the inventory system is there to encourage folks to level all the things.

I'm intentionally leveling all of my crafting/gathering together at once and keeping them within 1-2 levels of each other (although my gathering has gotten ahead of crafting by 3-4 levels now). I only make left side pieces every 5 levels generally, once everything is "caught up". Gonna have a similar situation with MNK, NIN and MCH; the latter two are at 30, while MNK is 35, so I'll catch those 2 up to MNK, then bring them all up at the same time (since they pretty much share left side gear up to 50).

Kinda annoying to have to do that, though, but shit, inventory space is a premium in this game. It'll be amazing, though, once everything is at 60. I'll pretty much free up ~120 slots on one retainer as a result; I've amassed a pile of 50-59 leveling gear from quests and/or dungeons in HW.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2016-05-05 at 03:27 PM.

Re: nothing to talk about, it's the end of 3.2's patch cycle. I'm sure we'll have plenty with 3.3 any time now. Should be due in about 3 weeks now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Re: nothing to talk about, it's the end of 3.2's patch cycle. I'm sure we'll have plenty with 3.3 any time now. Should be due in about 3 weeks now.
    I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, the content cycle is fast enough to keep.me interested. On the other hand, I always feel like I can never keep up with it all.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean other than QQing about changes.

No one talks about the story apart from questions about a few things they didn't understand because they weren't paying attention. Most of it is self evident. (To use the Souls series as an example again. Most of the story is in the background. Players actually have to piece the whole thing together to figure out just WTF is/was happening. I'm divided about such story telling but it does stir discussion - it's something to discuss with other players.)

No one talks about the new gear - for most part there isn't much to talk about. There are no new areas with new information or hidden interesting loot.

At most you talk about boss mechanics and tactics ... that only the 1% will see.

Otherwise it's mostly QQing about stuff that irritates you. People almost never talk/discuss the gameplay or story in an exploratory manner.

You get what I'm saying here.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2016-05-05 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, the content cycle is fast enough to keep.me interested. On the other hand, I always feel like I can never keep up with it all.
    I consider that a good problem to have, the "oh shit I can barely keep up with all of this new stuff". Much better than being on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I consider that a good problem to have, the "oh shit I can barely keep up with all of this new stuff". Much better than being on the opposite end of the spectrum.
    Until it becomes "Oh shit I can't keep up with all this stuff at all." That's why I don't really play anymore. There is far too much to do and I can not decide what to do when I do actually log in.

Until it becomes "Oh shit I can't keep up with all this stuff at all." That's why I don't really play anymore. There is far too much to do and I can not decide what to do when I do actually log in.
    "Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that he'd had three months to write. It was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brother's shoulder, and said, 'Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird.'"

Well, not to be an ass, but that isn't exactly the game's fault. Nor would I call it a flaw with the game.

Edit: It's like Faroth pointed out...can't do everything in the game yesterday, so just pick a thing, do it, enjoy it, then on to the next one if you feel inclined.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2016-05-05 at 06:09 PM.

"Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that he'd had three months to write. It was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brother's shoulder, and said, 'Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Well, not to be an ass, but that isn't exactly the game's fault. Nor would I call it a flaw with the game.

Edit: It's like Faroth pointed out...can't do everything in the game yesterday, so just pick a thing, do it, enjoy it, then on to the next one if you feel inclined.
    I don't think I was blaming the game, not sure how what I said could come across as that. It's my problem that there is too much for me to do. I don't really play any more because I can not pick which "bird" to start with. That's not the games fault, just realizing the game may not be for me because it pulls me in too many directions at once. There is no one clear path of what to do. That makes it a game that is not good for me, as much as I do like it.