Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I would first ask a lawyer friend of mine if I could keep it, if not I would contact my bank and ask that the hell it was about, and pay the money back. No reason to take the risk of jail.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you woke up with four million dollars unexpectedly in your bank account, why would your first thought be "nobody will ever know they made a mistake and track the money to my account"? If someone drops $40 by accident, they probably won't hunt you down. For $4 million, they will find you. Especially since it was a bank transfer and those things always leave an electronic trail. Hell my credit union stores every deposit/withdraw I've made for a year, and they're the size of a gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    She stole nothing. Its not her duty to correct the mistakes done by others and people arent legally required to manage their funds.

What are they gonna charge her with anyway? Spending money from her own bank account? Shell probably lose whats left but any half decent lawyer could get those charges cleared.
    I don't even know where to begin.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    4.6M? I would like to say I would do the right thing and report it but its pretty tempting just to take the cash and flee the country.
    I would have just spent it and said that I dont keep track of my money. Good luck disproving it. Fleeing the country, like some have pointed out kinda proves that you did know it wasnt your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Notify the bank of course, or else shit like this happens. Sucks for her but millions just suddenly showing up in your back account is an obvious mistake, it's not a free pass to go blow all the money.
    Then again it took them 4 years to notice?

Sure, it's pretty clear it's not normal, and pretty shitty/unresponsable to just spend it no questions asked, but legally speaking it's hard to blame her imo, it's her account and the mistake of transfering the money to the account was not hers.

I remember when I was a kid a bank employee did a mistake and wrongfully transfered a hefty sum into my parent's account. They immediately contacted my parents asking for their permission to undo the mistake and transfer the money to the intended account - if my parents didn't allow them, the money would be theirs legally (and the employee would likely have to pay for his mistake from his pocket, and/or get fired).

Of course it's different from country to country, and it was a much smaller ammount of money, but the basic principle holds: If I drop a bunch of 500€ bills into your bag, are you legally obligated to return it to me? Should you be treated as a criminal if 4 years later I start saying you "stole" my money because you didn't return it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I'd make a huge withdrawal and disappear

Or report it to the bank.

One of the two.
    The former is very difficult.
    Pretty much every country has limitations as to how much money you can have when you leave/enter.
    You have to make some pretty smart preparations to funnel the money out of the country separately. It's not impossible, but the more money it is, the more difficult and time consuming it is.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Meh, Governments mistake, They deserve the blame. Gotta love no accountability. Here in Canada if the government gives you too much money on a tax return or something along those lines and its on a government issue check, its yours but you have to pay it back in small payments.
    Yeah, no accountability for spending a random 3.3 million that was dropped into her account by mistake. Totally not her fault. She slipped and her card fell into the machine.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I would argue that as long as she didn't do anything fraudulently to get the money she received, that money is hers.
    and the law would laugh at you for such stupidity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legally speaking for the purposes of the IRS, you only legally own money you have deposited into your bank, or you have approved the transaction of. Any other case is theft and fraud. This woman spent money she did not own into her bank and tried to flee with it. She can and should be held legally responsible.

Seems strange that someone can charged for stealing even though the bank transferred the money to their account, the bank should be held accountable for their mistake.

But spending money that you acknowledge as not your own is a dick move.

Uhoh. Upon further reading they didn't give her 4.6 million dollars. They accidentally extended her credit line to 4.6 million dollars. This isn't an issue of theft. It's a consumer credit issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Then again it took them 4 years to notice?

Sure, it's pretty clear it's not normal, and pretty shitty/unresponsable to just spend it no questions asked, but legally speaking it's hard to blame her imo, it's her account and the mistake of transfering the money to the account was not hers.

I remember when I was a kid a bank employee did a mistake and wrongfully transfered a hefty sum into my parent's account. They immediately contacted my parents asking for their permission to undo the mistake and transfer the money to the intended account - if my parents didn't allow them, the money would be theirs legally (and the employee would likely have to pay for his mistake from his pocket, and/or get fired).

Of course it's different from country to country, and it was a much smaller ammount of money, but the basic principle holds: If I drop a bunch of 500€ bills into your bag, are you legally obligated to return it to me? Should you be treated as a criminal if 4 years later I start saying you "stole" my money because you didn't return it?
    Yeah that's why I say its a sucky situation. I want to hold her accountable but really but bank is also at fault for not even catching such a giant mistake. Really though she needed to take the initiative and just notify them

10+ Year Old Account
    The money was transferred to the account FOUR YEARS ago?

Bank fucked up, she gets punished.

If that kinda money ended up in my account, I'd sit on it for a while. If nothing happens, you better fucking believe I'd spend it. Not my fucking fault some moron put it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I would have just spent it and said that I dont keep track of my money. Good luck disproving it. Fleeing the country, like some have pointed out kinda proves that you did know it wasnt your money.
    and again the law would laugh at you because you don't randomly spend 3.3m $ when you know you don't have anywhere near that sum of money, and a sudden 4.6m $ from nowhere? ignorance doesn't work the law will get you.

Deleted
    I don't understand this case

An overdraft is not free money; it's a loan

If she goes free, is she going to pay the overdraft back?

You don't keep track, but your bank sure does. It's going to flag on their system if you suddenly start splurging, then they'll look into how much you have.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrofluoric View Post
    Seems strange that someone can charged for stealing even though the bank transferred the money to their account, the bank should be held accountable for their mistake.

But spending money that you acknowledge as not your own is a dick move.
    The bank didn't transfer any money. They extended her line of credit by mistake.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I don't even know where to begin.
    Begin with what? Say right now, I dont really check my balance for months sometimes. If the bank mistakenly gave me $3000, I would probably have no idea and its not my problem either. How would 3mil be any different? There are no laws that makes it mandatory for people to know how much money they have on their bank accounts.
    Last edited by mmoc79ad5d44ae; 2016-05-05 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I don't understand this case

An overdraft is not free money; it's a loan

If she goes free, is she going to pay the overdraft back?
    It's unsecured debt. So she should be able to discharge it in bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Uhoh. Upon further reading they didn't give her 4.6 million dollars. They accidentally extended her credit line to 4.6 million dollars. This isn't an issue of theft. It's a consumer credit issue.
    Yeah, in the article the Magistrate says she didn't exactly break the law, but she will need to pay back the millions she spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    It's unsecured debt. So she should be able to discharge it in bankruptcy.
    ah true.