Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Is it egregious and awful? Sure. Is it also laid out in the TOS? Yes. This is people shooting themselves in the foot by not realising what the service they're buying into is.
    Doesnt matter. Laws come first. So even if it says you agree to sell your firstborn to slavery in there, its completely meaningless and you can happily press that accept button. Now I dont know what the law says about programs deleting your files though.

Deleted
    Wow this reminds of previous expansions being utility not possessions, as mentioned in the rules of blizzard games.

Deleted
    Just claim digital rape and get college/university social study students on it. They might as well do something useful before a life of pumping gas and flipping burgers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay Apple to make your life worse. I don't get why people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrigglyPuff View Post
    Why would anyone use Apple products in the first place?

Zero sympathy given.
    Pretty much this, itunes is a cancer, why would you give your computer cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Doesnt matter. Laws come first. So even if it says you agree to sell your firstborn to slavery in there, its completely meaningless and you can happily press that accept button. Now I dont know what the law says about programs deleting your files though.
    You are correct.

However again I need to stress that people's local files are not being removed from their HDDs. The blogger says that this happened with literally no proof, and says music of their own composition has been stolen. Nowhere else online can I find anyone with any proof that music has been deleted or original music has been uploaded to the cloud and re-sold for profit benefiting Apple.

BUT
    U
    T

Peoples files ARE being replaced with mainstream/studio versions that are in Apple's database. Which is not nearly as bad as deleting mass amounts of music, but is still REALLY scummy. Dunno if any legal action could be levied against them though, if any can be though I'm all for it. Terrible company with terrible practices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Pretty much this, itunes is a cancer, why would you give your computer cancer?
    iTunes isn't the problem here, Apple Music is. iTunes does suck though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has been doing that for years, when you set it to auto synch. If you set it to manual, it will not delete the files without your permission.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I think there isn't really a chance Apple is sued. Their TOS is the stuff of legends. However, this is a prime example on the perils of closed markets and the move towards 'always connected' everything, and full reliance on them.

I will never forget years ago, I had ripped all my CD's and cataloged my music. XGF bought me an apple shuffle for the gym, installed itunes and that shit renamed almost all my music to "unknown" I know there are now settings to make it not to that but ever since then **** itunes, Steve Jobs, and the horse he road to hell on.

Rofl.

iDiots made me giggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Buy discs, and you won't have this problem.
    What a luddite, get with the times!

But seriously I still buy CDs, bite me cloud thingywhatsits. Any format, any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I think there isn't really a chance Apple is sued. Their TOS is the stuff of legends. However, this is a prime example on the perils of closed markets and the move towards 'always connected' everything, and full reliance on them.
    TOS and all the rest cannot protect you if you are doing something illegal. Appropriating someone's works seems like exactly that to me.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Read the article. The service scans your entire hard drive, uploads all music files into your iCloud, then deletes them off your HD. Doesn't matter if they were ripped from CD, or in the case of the author, original works that you created yourself.
    No it doesn't....The only files that iTunes scans and uses are files YOU ADD TO ITUNES <-- important.
    It doesn't just randomly scan your HDD.

Yes itunes is horrible, yes apple has some shoddy programming but having a backup and not being a complete ninkompoop would have avoided his problems.
    Before you use ANY service like this it would be common sense to read the manual and do at least 10m of googling on the subject and all this could be avoided.

I still have an early version of the Ipod and that's the extent of their stuff I'll buy. I only need mp3 player for the gym. Buying their extra services and advanced gadgets is crazy talk to me.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

This is why I hate Apple and will never, ever own an Apple computer or let an Apple program have access to my computer. You have to use your computer how they want you to, and you have ZERO freedom otherwise. If you download and use iTunes, it basically unleashes its tentacles all over your hard drive and assimilates your music collection, deleting what it sees fit. You can't upgrade or do anything to Apple computers, you pretty much have to use their overpriced pieces of shit how they tell you to.

Fuck you Apple, and fuck your overrated, worthless POS tech. I'm a PC man through and through, and it's shit like this, deleting massive amounts of music just because you don't recognize it, that makes me refuse to ever buy any of your products.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It has been doing that for years, when you set it to auto synch. If you set it to manual, it will not delete the files without your permission.
    TOS's aren't ironclad. If a TOS is unreasonable and heavily weighted against the user, the user can fight back. I took a legal class on contract law and there was a whole section we did on TOS's. I forget the legal terminology, but trust me, not even the almighty TOS is unbeatable in court.

Read the article. The service scans your entire hard drive, uploads all music files into your iCloud, then deletes them off your HD. Doesn't matter if they were ripped from CD, or in the case of the author, original works that you created yourself.
    It only does this if you say you want the music to go to the cloud.

I had Apple Music for 4-5 months and it did not delete anything. I set it up saying a) I did NOT want it to replace any files and b) I did NOT want stuff put on the cloud that was not bought by Apple.

As to why people use Apple products, there are a variety of reasons. I hate people that jump at the throat thinking you are a yuppie follower that has to have Apple.

Where I live (country) Google is blocked. Android phones are crippled badly. Though I am from North America, I can still grab apps and update them world wide with Apple flawlessly. Google was so horrible with Android that I had to hack the phone and even with Sim hacks to make it think I was in North America, half the time apps would not update. That is just too much damn work.

Also, if you want 1 app to do all your mail, the Apple mail app is the best I've ever seen for incorporating 5+ mail accounts into one app flawlessly.

Those are the two reasons why I use Apple...and unlike most of the world, here you pay 100% for the phone, and it is a total rip off, so yeah, I would be using a cheap Android phone if I could.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes but the cd is always there to rerip to the hard drive.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, never using Apple.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Nope, never using Apple.
    me neither and this is exactly why.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    122 GB of music files
    I don’t just mean the music that, over twenty years (since before iTunes existed), I painstakingly imported from thousands of CDs and saved to my computer’s internal hard drive. I also mean original music that I recorded and saved to my computer.
    Going twenty years without a backup is kind of impressive, -ly stoopid :P

*EDIT*

I recovered my original music files only by using a backup I made weeks earlier.
    So the story ends happy and I read 5mins of my life reading it, great >.>
    Last edited by caervek; 2016-05-06 at 08:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    My first smart phone was an iphone.

Apple was the reason I will NEVER use another apple product ever again. This and so many other issues came up that I just can't bring myself to ever ever use apple.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"