Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    If they were good players S PG req would not be stopping them, sorry to tell you.
    That is logically flawed - as your argument means I'm a good player AND not a good player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    PG was a pretty nice requirement. Very easy to pass if you had the slightest idea of how the spec worked.
    How odd, that the spec I'd been playing for 10 years was bloody difficult, but the one I'd been playing for 8 days was a faceroll.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The PG were stupid, especially the requirement to do it on EVERY alt. It certainly cut down my dungeoning in this expac. All they tested was how good your class is at proving grounds.

I'm sad about the removal of Brawler's though, it's exactly the kind of single player content that I enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    The PG were stupid, especially the requirement to do it on EVERY alt. It certainly cut down my dungeoning in this expac. All they tested was how good your class is at proving grounds.

I'm sad about the removal of Brawler's though, it's exactly the kind of single player content that I enjoyed.
    It didn't even test that shit though. Any person with half a brain could mash buttons and get silver even like I said freshly dinged at 590-600.

I did a quick bit of analysis using WoWProgress, basically I looked at the DPS score of the person in 23rd spot on the DPS challenge for their class.

This is a rough but good approximation to the difficulty of doing proving grounds on that class, because if all classes were equal - you would expect an equal distribution.

Here is the list of classes in order of easiest to hardest in proving grounds, along with the score for person #23 in their class. I've also added the number of characters with a score of 7000 or higher in endless.

Hunter : 8697, 29@ over 7000 <--- easiest
    Monk : 7593, 25@ over 7000
    Rogue : 7298, 23@ over 7000
    Paladin : 6879, 19@ over 7000
    Druid : 6596 16@ over 7000
    DK : 6372, 13@ over 7000
    Shaman : 5799, 11@ over 7000
    Priest : 5589, 6@ over 7000
    Warrior : 5397, 5@ over 7000
    Mage : 4895, 5@ over 7000
    Warlock : 4397, 4@ over 7000 <--- hardest

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Any person with half a brain could mash buttons and get silver even like I said freshly dinged at 590-600.
    Assuming they were on one of the easier classes - of course. Not all classes/specs made equal sorry.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2016-05-05 at 05:23 AM.

I am glad that proving grounds as a gate is going away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RyusekiV2 View Post
    Oh boy brain dead mouth breathers back in your heroic dungeon groups, ones that couldn't even clear silver. Are you people excited for that? Lmao
    Don't worry, you can always do Mythic+ dungeons to show off your elite status with your fellow elite players and as they are premade you won't have to soil yourself with the presence of everyone you regard as inferior forms of life because they aren't as good at a videogame as you

I bet you're a real joy to team up with. Probably one of those bores who post up Recount after every trash mob in between posing up your Mythic gear and making condescending remarks or yelling at anyone who makes a mistake

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I did a quick bit of analysis using WoWProgress, basically I looked at the DPS score of the person in 23rd spot on the DPS challenge for their class.

This is a rough but good approximation to the difficulty of doing proving grounds on that class, because if all classes were equal - you would expect an equal distribution.

Here is the list of classes in order of easiest to hardest in proving grounds, along with the score for person #23 in their class. I've also added the number of characters with a score of 7000 or higher in endless.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming they were on one of the easier classes - of course. Not all classes/specs made equal sorry.
    Precisely, the massive disparity in the challenge for different classes alone made Proving Grounds a joke. The main thing they were "Proving" was that it took a lot more effort and skill to pass playing a warlock than a hunter.

I couldn't figure out why I failed a couple of goes playing my affliction warlock and found it a bit of a pain (lack of practise after a 4 year gap didn't help of course). Then I did it again with a freshly levelled hunter and though wtf

Affliction's rampup times, awful aoe, lack of burst and reliance on random procs to get shards made PG at all levels way more of a pain than doing it with a huntard, which has things like Barrage, is totally unimpeded by movement, stuns and interrupts out of it's ears and a secondary resource that isn't RNG at all.

PG is doable by any class and any spec. To pretend it was a test of skill that could stop bad players from Heroic content is a joke because for some classes it was a complete faceroll.

You don't realise this at all until you've done it with alts. If you only did it as a hunter or afflock, you'd get entirely false impressions

does this mean the PG still stands for anything WoD though? that would seem like a headache the further forward we move just to go do PG on dungeons that we could faceroll in 2 expansions time

- - - Updated - - -

Wierd that warlocks are so low. Ive recently tried to get dps title and failed on both mage and Warrior. Im a really shitty player, but when i did it on my affliction lock i got the achivement on second try. PG is super easy as lock, just dot everything up, use haunt on prio targets and cataclysm for aoe. It was a real breeze to like Wave 50 when i got bored and lost Focus.
    Last edited by barackohmama; 2016-05-05 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    Disappointed about losing PG as a tool to select candidates for my mythic premades. It wasn't perfect, but helped to screen out players who were clueless about how to play their spec, whether it was dps trying to play a healing spec they'd never invested time in learning, boosted toons who couldn't be bothered to learn their rotations before queuing, or just players who needed mentoring/more practice before queuing to do mythics (I don't mind carrying guildies who need mentoring, but not every run for strangers).

We got by before PG, of course, but back then we weren't realm crossing either. When you started looking in trade chat to fill out your raid, you knew most of the names and how they'd done last time you raided with them. Hard to do that with players from all different realms showing up in your queue.
    Not really, Silver was so easy to fudge. I have met many a player who somehow got Silver but are terrible. That wall was useless and I am glad it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by barackohmama View Post
    Wierd that warlocks are so low.
    The breakdown above doesn't breakdown to Spec, for example - I found Arcane mage abysmal and Frost not too bad. There isn't really any way to determine spec performance, but the evidence is clear that there are issues with the existing system.

I'm pretty sure part of Blizzard's decision was knowing EXACTLY what that break down was, and realising it was faulty. With no simple solution - abandoning it as a gating tool was their 'easiest' option.

I still would have preferred they fix the test rather than abandoning it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

If it was hard for you that was due to you using the wrong talents. Everyone I saw in game complaining about how it was impossible ended up one shotting it when they realized they could switch talents to make it easier. Usually the problem was an aoe talent. I recently saw someone post a screenshot to show something in chat and their garrison ability was right in the middle of their screen. They've been playing almost 2 years with a button in the middle cause they never knew or thought to move it. That's the kind of people that fail in proving grounds.

Where are these numbers from? They certainly aren't up to date from wowprogress.

the silver proving grounds requirement was what inspired my friend to 'git gud'

the game's difficulty is a joke before max level, they didn't have to try at all. it was nice to have an excuse not to have to try to carry them through heroics- "they won't let me untnil you get through silver proving grounds"

Deleted
    ofc some classes was better at pg than others, but silver was still so piss easy that even the the weakest class should be able to do it.

ive done pg silver on 11 chars, one of each class, some of them both as dps and tank or heal.
    i admit i wiped once on my monk tank, but i looked thru my spellbook and realized that i forgot i had ox statue, then i did it with ease.

but yea, god forbid that the game requires us to put in some time and effort, and how dare it try and teach us how to play!!
    Last edited by mmocb8ddf2b91b; 2016-05-05 at 03:36 PM.

Deleted
    Good. PG was so fucking tedious to do on every alt. It's just slow and boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by egeszsegere View Post
    ofc some classes was better at pg than others, but silver was still so piss easy that even the the weakest class should be able to do it.

ive done pg silver on 11 chars, one of each class, some of them both as dps and tank or heal.

but yea, god forbid that the game requires us to put in some time and effort, and how dare it try and teach us how to play!!
    That's why you found it piss easy, practise practise

And PG actually taught you very little about your class

For example, certain phases can be rendered very easy by the use of Cataclysm as a warlock, and that's a talent you won't be using much in dungeons and hardly ever in raids, except on meaningless trash packs

The best way to manage interrupts on healers in PG as a lock is to use the Observer and optic blast

Again, in dungeons and raids you will not be using that pet and you won't be on interrupt duty because there will invariably be several others who can do it more easily and effectively
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2016-05-05 at 05:28 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    That's why you found it piss easy, practise practise

And PG actually taught you very little about your class

For example, certain phases can be rendered very easy by the use of Cataclysm as a warlock, and that's a talent you won't be using much in dungeons and hardly ever in raids, except on meaningless trash packs

The best way to manage interrupts on healers in PG as a lock is to use the Observer and optic blast

Again, in dungeons and raids you will not be using that pet and you won't be on interrupt duty because there will invariably be several others who can do it more easily and effectively
    It was never meant to teach you how to play. It was a challenge that tested how good you were at playing your class that you had to pass if you wanted to do random heroics, not a tutorial.

The proving grounds blow ass. Why would you even do more than silver? Also yeah as some above pointed out, some class/specs have it rough as hell in proving grounds. On a fresh afflock (before any patches, so I was in greens and shit), I had to do said grounds to get into heroics so I could get the itemlevel for LFR. Welp. After failing 10 times on the AOE bits because afflock sucks tremendous ass at AOE (as I am sure Spriest also had issues), I learned a second spec on this character for the first time, just go get destro and AOE it up. Kind of stupid that I had to change spec to do it.
    Last edited by Dastreus; 2016-05-05 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Not really, Silver was so easy to fudge. I have met many a player who somehow got Silver but are terrible. That wall was useless and I am glad it's gone.
    Yeah but you're overlooking the ones who couldn't pass. They were even worse than the ones who did. And tbh, it was much easier on some classes than others. That part needed to be improved. But it did screen out some of the DPS trying to queue as healers without ever having healed, and bad boosted players who couldn't be bothered to learn their rotation from any of the decent online guides.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    PG was a useless tool as it let some classes/specs faceroll through and others struggle through.
    I would however think fixing it a better solution to abandoning it.
    agreed. some classes had to spec. specifically for it / silences ,cc ,aoe etc. while others face-rolled regardless.