Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    and to think we just guessed people sat on their bums all day and ate cheese fries.
    Please Genn, it is Poutine for the Canadian friends, lets not be culturally insensitive now (and get another SJW ,perpetually offended ,windmill chasing thread out of it )

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    The biggest contributing factor to losing weight is moving more and eating less. Sure, there's other factors involved. But their role is tiny by comparison.
    That can be true, but not always. Someone that burns 800 less calories a day will almost always be overweight.

BS my girlfriends fat and I am still skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmikeguy View Post
    It could be what's allowing those microbes to live in the first place.

If two people are at rest and are the same weight and have been doing the same amount of activities over time, but one burns 800 more calories than another each day that is a problem.
    This is what the thread should really be about, but too many dumbasses want to talk about personal responsibility or something.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think we should just eliminate all the fat people.

Yeah...

10+ Year Old Account
    That can be true, but not always. Someone that burns 800 less calories a day will almost always be overweight.
    Are there actually examples of two people, of equal weight, eating the same amount of calories, doing the same amount of work, and one of those individuals burning 800 calories less?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by TrigglyPuff View Post
    There isn't.

You take 2000 fatties and put them on a desert island, away from Potato Chips and Mountain Dew, where they have to move around a bit and they will drastically lose the weight.
    If you put them on a Desert island that has no pure sugars or heavy starches whatsoever to help combat yeast, and they have zero contact with anti bacterial everything, yes they will drop weight fast eating less than 1700 calories. It will be much slower if they eat natural sugar foods like fruit even with it's fiber.

Are there actually examples of two people, of equal weight, eating the same amount of calories, doing the same amount of work, and one of those individuals burning 800 calories less?
    One person is not equal to another, that's kind of what makes medicine complicated.

Its called metabolism. Its a thing, you've probably heard of it.

Yes there have been. People put on strict diets in hospitals and measuring calories in and out over time. People can measure yours with things like Fitbit, if they are honest enough to put real numbers in.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/...-to-stay-slim/
    Last edited by thatmikeguy; 2016-05-05 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    One person is not equal to another, that's kind of what makes medicine complicated.
    Right. But I'm trying to figure out just how drastic external factors (things besides eating less, moving more) affect weight loss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Its called metabolism. Its a thing, you've probably heard of it.
    I'm not debating the many factors that affect weight loss. I'm simply claiming that eating less and moving more is the biggest contributor.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    This is what the thread should really be about, but too many dumbasses want to talk about personal responsibility or something.
    So true, and MOST of these people will have a different opinion once they start getting older.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes there have been.
    OK. Do you have any examples to share?

Because if its common for people of the same weight, with equal calorie intake, and equal movement, to have such drastic differences, then my previous statements are obviously wrong. And I'd like to know if that's the case.
    Eat yo vegetables

OK first off, obesity just means you're BMI is over 40. That is all. You can be a body builder with 5% bodyfat and be techincally obese.

Second, there are absolutely genes that encourage some people to store fat and others not, but anyone can and should maintain a healthy body.

Third, this is absolutely not the first time gut bacteria has been linked to disease. At work we deal with gut bacteria as a means to heal disorders all the time.

Because if its common for people of the same weight, with equal calorie intake, and equal movement, to have such drastic differences, then my previous statements are obviously wrong. And I'd like to know if that's the case.

There is a 500 calorie number, but from older pages I've seen 800. But 500 is a large number even for 2400 sustain point.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I think you are right with the exception I am not sure it is common to have drastic different results. Basically, the more calories you take in, the more you need to burn in order to maintain a healthy weight. But that is not a simple clear case always. Other factors do apply at times.

I'm not debating the many factors that affect weight loss. I'm simply claiming that eating less and moving more is the biggest contributor.
    sigh. Then you don't understand Metabolism. Again your original question:

What could possibly cause a delta between those two individuals? The way they burn those calories; in other words you guessed it metabolism.

10+ Year Old Account

There is a 500 calorie number, but from older pages I've seen 800. But 500 is a large number even for 2400 sustain point.
    I'm really not qualified to understand the study they did. I mean, they followed 14 people that went through significant weight loss over a short period of time. Just doesn't seem all that convincing. I still think that for the vast majority of obese individuals, eating less and moving more has a greater affect on weight loss than metabolism.
    Eat yo vegetables

I'm really not qualified to understand the study they did. I mean, they followed 14 people that went through significant weight loss over a short period of time. Just doesn't seem all that convincing. I still think that for the vast majority of obese individuals, eating less and moving more has a greater affect on weight loss than metabolism.
    Probably does, but if the same people are burning 500 calories less at rest, that is a big problem.