Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    It most certainly is. Not for mythic raiders, but for casual players, after the initial time investment playing WoW is very much pick-up-and-play. I don't really see this splitting the player base argument anyway, there already are pve/pvp/rp/rp-pvp servers and different regions.
    It's a fallacy. Don't give into the bait to respond to that person. They will tell you how there is only a handful of people that want these servers, then tell you all these players from the current servers will leave. I would just ignore it. Apparently bringing back players to the game who weren't playing current WoW to begin with is splitting players.

The worse part is trying to use it as validate that they wouldn't be able to longer play the game. So, it's interesting that there is a fear that the current players would all leave to these server and they would no longer have anyone to play with.
    Last edited by Eliseus; 2016-05-05 at 07:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    take it a step further - the game has been for years intentionally designed as pick-up-and-play - all the catch-up mechanisms, everyone on the SAME raid, etc., is geared towards letting a player come back after however long and immediately be in the same raid as everyone else (maybe not same difficulty).

classic and to a good degree bc were not pick up and play (yes bc had badge gear but to get a *single* 150 badge item in 2.4 you were going to play /played days to earn it unless you just did kara lockouts for *7* weeks for 1 item.....). you could quit and come back, but you would be exactly where you left off.
    Yea, I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't read everything well enough, I thought we were talking about live.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    This isn't V for Vendetta, dummy. "The fans" still can't legally play on illegal servers, and I'd bet a year's salary that after this weekend, nothing will change in that regard.
    after this weekend? ofcourse nothing changes... the meeting was not held yet. :P
    They merely announced that there will be a meeting at some point.

Man, I just found myself constantly watching Vanilla leveling videos in Lakeshire and Westfall. Just make Vanilla happen, and save us from misery of modern WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    It's a fallacy. Don't give into the bait to respond to that person. They will tell you how there is only a handful of people that want these servers, then tell you all these players from the current servers will leave. I would just ignore it. Apparently bringing back players to the game who weren't playing current WoW to begin with is splitting players.

The worse part is trying to use it as validate that they wouldn't be able to longer play the game. So, it's interesting that there is a fear that the current players would all leave to these server and they would no longer have anyone to play with.
    If it wasn't a legitimate concern then please tell me in your own words why you think Blizzard thinks it's difficult to maintain multiple versions of their game. They've officially stated so multiple times, so how do you interpret this information?

But I already know the answer to that because you pretend it doesn't matter and that Blizzard's official statements are some PR conspiracy meant to mislead the public. Blind faith towards legacy servers is the way to go! *raises cup of kool aid*
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    If it wasn't a legitimate concern then please tell me in your own words why you think Blizzard thinks it's difficult to maintain multiple versions of their game. They've officially stated so multiple times, so how do you interpret this information?

But I already know the answer to that because you pretend it doesn't matter and that Blizzard's official statements are some PR conspiracy meant to mislead the public. Blind faith towards legacy servers is the way to go! *raises cup of kool aid*
    That they found the risk with such little data at the time wasn't worth the investment. Clearly that has changed.

Someone with Ryn's avatar is actually trying to troll him on twitter using the same terms (Che). It is amazing how far some people will go to further their own crusade. It just goes to show how many people realize that their game is bad.

Deleted
    So guys... what ya think? What is current state? what is the url to click on when anyone is interested in you? Will blizzard bow or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Struggle View Post
    That they found the risk with such little data at the time wasn't worth the investment. Clearly that has changed.
    How is it clear when there has been absolutely no change in information since their last statement? They even mentioned being in talks with Nost in the very same post they said there were challenges in maintaining multiple versions of the same game. This includes Mark Kern putting up a poll about progression in Legacy servers; it's clear to me that they're still deciding things and haven't come to any solid solution.

Why are people pretending that the problems and concerns surrounding Legacy servers are magically being waved away when there has been absolutely no news surrounding the progress of the Legacy server talks? The most that we know is that the Nost team is hinting at good progress. That doesn't tell us Blizzard's concerns are now moot.

I trust that they can come to a solution to the concerns, but let's not pretend the risk has been done away with.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2016-05-05 at 10:50 PM.

Another thing to be considered at this point: retail WoW players have been mostly silent about this issue as it hasn't affected them at all yet. What happens if Legacy does happen and the devs and resources from Live start working on the Legacy servers? Will they remain silent for long after realizing that Blizzard has spent time, money, and resources on making Legacy happen. Something in that scenario that clearly takes away from Live. I ask, because as so many people like to call the Live players now as casual idiots who are akin to playing Animal Crossing, is it really something you can argue a casual would play? A older version of WoW made for the clear intention of not being casual friendly. Where does Blizzard stand when the, assumed 3 million, "casual" players start their outcry and anger of having even more apparent gaps in content because Blizzard now has to work on Legacy as well?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    This guy doesn't even work for Blizzard anymore. Between his Twitter and his video he's a complete and utter tard.
    While i dont care too much about Kern, your master certainly did...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    So guys... what ya think? What is current state? what is the url to click on when anyone is interested in you? Will blizzard bow or not?
    Who knows. It is silly to mention they are listening and in talks with Nost then do nothing, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    You can mass create battlenet accounts without spending money.
    Easy to identify in meta data

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Another thing to be considered at this point: retail WoW players have been mostly silent about this issue as it hasn't affected them at all yet. What happens if Legacy does happen and the devs and resources from Live start working on the Legacy servers? Will they remain silent for long after realizing that Blizzard has spent time, money, and resources on making Legacy happen. Something in that scenario that clearly takes away from Live. I ask, because as so many people like to call the Live players now as casual idiots who are akin to playing Animal Crossing, is it really something you can argue a casual would play? A older version of WoW made for the clear intention of not being casual friendly. Where does Blizzard stand when the, assumed 3 million, "casual" players start their outcry and anger of having even more apparent gaps in content because Blizzard now has to work on Legacy as well?
    Nope retail players have been hella vocal in this thread

- - - Updated - - -

And the gaps in content aren't new

TBH player outcry is the least of Blizzard's worries. Despite what people say, it doesn't change the overall data of what players will actually do. Until they have enough data to warrant a change, I can imagine most vocal complaints (outside of constructive feedback) generally gets ignored. I don't think the inclusion of Legacy servers would cause a mass exodus by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Easy to identify in meta data

- - - Updated - - -

Nope retail players have been hella vocal in this thread

- - - Updated - - -

And the gaps in content aren't new
    No, there's been a few players, both retail and legacy posting about the issue, but the assumed 3 million have not had their public outcry yet because they have not been affected yet, I'm bringing up the issue of when they are. No, the gaps are not new, but when you give them the ability to focus on a very real, perceived idea then it's safe to assume they will rally behind it. Hell, just look at the flight thread to get some clarity there.

- - - Updated - - -

TBH player outcry is the least of Blizzard's worries. Despite what people say, it doesn't change the overall data of what players will actually do. Until they have enough data to warrant a change, I can imagine most vocal complaints (outside of constructive feedback) generally gets ignored. I don't think the inclusion of Legacy servers would cause a mass exodus by any means.
    Mass exodus, no. Players are fickle be nature, and the idea is "what happens if Blizz takes time out of developing new content to focus on a Legacy server that does not appeal to them?" Most of the opinions and factors people are discussing are Nost players and people who want Legacy and issues that may arise from a technical or financial standpoint. No one has paused to look at the impact it can very likely have on the actual Live players. This is simply what I am bringing up.
    Nost had 150k active accounts at the end and those players, instead of looking for a new PS, decided to petition Blizzard to get what they feel they have lost. I simply pose the question of "what will the outcry be from 3 million?" Just another issue that Blizz is probably having to look at very few considered (I know I haven't until recently).
    Also, to address the first point you make, to state that public outcry has little impact on Blizzard in fact implies that nothing the pro Legacy is doing matters in the least.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2016-05-05 at 11:53 PM.

Also, to address the first point you make, to state that public outcry has little impact on Blizzard in fact implies that nothing the pro Legacy is doing matters in the least.
    More like Live outcry has as much affect on Legacy servers as Legacy outcry has on Live servers. The impact affect on other versions is rather minor given Live and Legacy have more pressing reasons to sub/unsub. It doesn't imply that the outcry is doing nothing for its own goals.

More like Live outcry has as much affect on Legacy servers as Legacy outcry has on Live servers. The impact affect on other versions is rather minor given Live and Legacy have more pressing reasons to sub/unsub. It doesn't imply that the outcry is doing nothing for its own goals.
    That's pretty much the implied point. Legacy is having its own outcry at this point, to which many of the live players are having nothing to do with it. The fact remains that if Nost had this much of an outcry in being shut down, what will the outcry be from the Live players if this affects the current game? Not to mention the fact that with content shortage as it is, to imagine the extension there will be in gaps from the current dev team now spending time on running and maintaining a Legacy server, to believe there will not be an even bigger outcry from Live players is almost unthinkable. As I've stated, something else I am sure Blizzard will also have to consider on implications of starting a Legacy server, let alone multiple without hiring a new team. This also leads into the aforementioned issues of a budget Blizz has to work with for all their IP's.

Deleted
    That's pretty much the implied point. Legacy is having its own outcry at this point, to which many of the live players are having nothing to do with it. The fact remains that if Nost had this much of an outcry in being shut down, what will the outcry be from the Live players if this affects the current game? Not to mention the fact that with content shortage as it is, to imagine the extension there will be in gaps from the current dev team now spending time on running and maintaining a Legacy server, to believe there will not be an even bigger outcry from Live players is almost unthinkable. As I've stated, something else I am sure Blizzard will also have to consider on implications of starting a Legacy server, let alone multiple without hiring a new team. This also leads into the aforementioned issues of a budget Blizz has to work with for all their IP's.
    Blizzard have continued to make overall profits higher, year after year, and we still ended up with WoD, don't even try pulling that lack of resources crap

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoBoom View Post
    Blizzard have continued to make overall profits higher, year after year, and we still ended up with WoD, don't even try pulling that lack of resources crap
    It's not lack of resources crap, it's resources allotted to them based off of budget assigned to Blizzard to use on existant and future IP's. So again, to try and impart the idea of a budget on someone else jumping into the conversation, if all resources are not used, the next time budget rolls around it is less, whereas if the full budget is consumed while turning a profit, more is doled out for future use. This usually keeps the idea to plan your ideas before you even have a budget given to you. Extra funding allocated to Blizzard would also come from sales pitches to make things like D3, Hearthstone, Overwatch thru marketing pitches to show how profitable said venture can be with life expectancy and overall sales. To request more funds for a new team and servers would have to be pitched to Activision or taken directly from a current IP to get resources for Legacy.
    To get back on topic, it's easier for a retail player to swallow the news of delayed content for the existence of new IP's (which I don't even know if WoW devs work on any of the other IP's Blizz has and believe those are separate), than it is to take resources from one IP to rehash old content. Current Live players are not affected by Nost at this time, whereas if they were to find out further delays are caused by a Legacy taking the time and money from Live it can be expected these servers would become the new focal point of the content gaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not lack of resources crap, it's resources allotted to them based off of budget assigned to Blizzard to use on existant and future IP's. So again, to try and impart the idea of a budget on someone else jumping into the conversation, if all resources are not used, the next time budget rolls around it is less, whereas if the full budget is consumed while turning a profit, more is doled out for future use. This usually keeps the idea to plan your ideas before you even have a budget given to you. Extra funding allocated to Blizzard would also come from sales pitches to make things like D3, Hearthstone, Overwatch thru marketing pitches to show how profitable said venture can be with life expectancy and overall sales. To request more funds for a new team and servers would have to be pitched to Activision or taken directly from a current IP to get resources for Legacy.
    To get back on topic, it's easier for a retail player to swallow the news of delayed content for the existence of new IP's (which I don't even know if WoW devs work on any of the other IP's Blizz has and believe those are separate), than it is to take resources from one IP to rehash old content. Current Live players are not affected by Nost at this time, whereas if they were to find out further delays are caused by a Legacy taking the time and money from Live it can be expected these servers would become the new focal point of the content gaps.
    ab earnings have been flat for years overall. eps is up due to the vivendi buyback but numerically profit has been within a very narrow range for at least 4 years.

as far as wow devs (the largest team ever, mind you,) and working on other IP's, if they are NOT, then the largest team ever has managed to put out the least content ever the last few years. I know lots of folks worry that they might get less live content for programmers sent to recode a classic type server but they ignore the elephant in the living room. The largest team ever is making far less content than ever without legacy servers.

- - - Updated - - -

is this humor? if wow players are happy with the rate they get content now, I don't see how the types of folks needed for any legacy project would upset them any.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    Who knows. It is silly to mention they are listening and in talks with Nost then do nothing, but you never know.
    not silly. get past the film release date, let the furor die down, and classikers can go pound sand. maybe they strongarm the nost people into saying pristine servers are a good midpoint.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2016-05-06 at 03:00 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.