Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you enjoy giving gifts to your SO or just in general?

Title.

Do you enjoy giving gifts to your significant other? I feel like it is an issue that is forced upon you to remain competitive in today's society. I think gifts are so vain and pointless. Also they cost money and time to go out and get.

Now, I don't expect people to give me gifts, because then I feel like I owe them something, and I hate having unpaid debts.

Maybe I am just odd about this. My last g/f a few years ago was a real gem. Said she didn't want any gifts, so I literally didn't spend a dime on them. Good times, and economically beneficial.

I like to give and get gifts to me it just shows you can go the extra mile to show your appreciation to who you are giving it to.

You can also learn a lot from a person from their reactions or what they give you,

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    I like to give and get gifts to me it just shows you can go the extra mile to show your appreciation to who you are giving it to.

You can also learn a lot from a person from their reactions or what they give you,
    My last g/f said she regifts 90% of the gifts she receives.

No, it's stressful trying to pick the right thing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes. I enjoy giving presents, especially at unexpected times. It brightens the day of someone I love and makes me feel good that I could do something nice for them.
    Do you ever get gifts? Do they even gift you back?

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy giving gifts, doesn't even have to be a holiday. I enjoy making my friends and family feel good, even if I receive nothing in return.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Title.

Do you enjoy giving gifts to your significant other? I feel like it is an issue that is forced upon you to remain competitive in today's society. I think gifts are so vain and pointless. Also they cost money and time to go out and get.

Now, I don't expect people to give me gifts, because then I feel like I owe them something, and I hate having unpaid debts.

Maybe I am just odd about this. My last g/f a few years ago was a real gem. Said she didn't want any gifts, so I literally didn't spend a dime on them. Good times, and economically beneficial.
    I find that giving gifts its more of a trial than anything. It tests your knowledge about the person, I've spent entire days collecting information of my gf, just to have the perfect gift. But when you do its worth it

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    I find that giving gifts its more of a trial than anything. It tests your knowledge about the person, I've spent entire days collecting information of my gf, just to have the perfect gift. But when you do its worth it
    The entirety of being with a girl is a trial.

One slip up and boom they are gone.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not really. I get stuff from my parents for my bday and Christmas(which I celebrate as a secular holiday), but very few other people ever give me anything.
    Same here. And I am glad nobody else gives me gifts.

Again, it's an issue of debt. Getting a gift is like "Lol you owe me now " Blegh...

My last g/f said she regifts 90% of the gifts she receives.
    Get less generic gifts or things that the people actually want/need. Of course your thinking on what gifts are and why you get them could explain your last girlfriend being several years ago and being an ex. Hell read your own sig and think about your 1st statement again.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

If he shows interest in something randomly, but never buys it... or forgets about it. Then I'll buy it when he does forget. He does the same for me at random times, and I'm grateful he pays attention to the little things. I do the same for him. For holidays and birthdays... it depends. We usually just go out to dinner, and that's it. Not really a big deal.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've never viewed gifts that way. If you give someone a gift and expect them to owe you then you're a horrible person who should go live in a cave.
    If I am not mistaken, the desire to reciprocate is common among people.

Deleted
    I only like it when I am not obligated to do so.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Get less generic gifts or things that the people actually want/need. Of course your thinking on what gifts are and why you get them could explain your last girlfriend being several years ago and being an ex. Hell read your own sig and think about your 1st statement again.
    I never got her any gifts. Nicest thing I did was buy her meals from time to time. I suppose that is a gift in one breath, but I never bought her shiny necklaces or other pointless rabble.

I get her something from time to time. Just recently got her Battleborn because I remember her saying it looked awesome. Always nice to give a good gesture to your partner now and again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I get her something from time to time. Just recently got her Battleborn because I remember her saying it looked awesome. Always nice to give a good gesture to your partner now and again.
    Isn't the fact that you choose to be around them a gesture enough?

Isn't the fact that you choose to be around them a gesture enough?
    Of course it is but I love her and she does so much for me that I feel like getting her something now and then. Be it a game or flowers and a box of chocolates.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Of course it is but I love her and she does so much for me that I feel like getting her something now and then. Be it a game or flowers and a box of chocolates.
    I had a buddy who told me I should try getting flowers for somebody. I would feel creepy buying flowers for somebody my age.

If I get flowers, it's to my dear mother. She raised me and put up with me. She more than deserves all the gifts in the world.

I had a buddy who told me I should try getting flowers for somebody. I would feel creepy buying flowers for somebody my age.

If I get flowers, it's to my dear mother. She raised me and put up with me. She more than deserves all the gifts in the world.
    And if I get flowers it will be for my partner. I always get my Mother some now and then as well. Mostly for putting up with my antics as a child hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    If he shows interest in something randomly, but never buys it... or forgets about it. Then I'll buy it when he does forget. He does the same for me at random times, and I'm grateful he pays attention to the little things. I do the same for him. For holidays and birthdays... it depends. We usually just go out to dinner, and that's it. Not really a big deal.
    Me and my gf do it similar. If i stumble upon something I know she would like, I buy it for her. She does the same thing. We don't treat our anniversarys or birthdays as something special. Being forced to get something just stresses us both out. People often consider this strange, but it works for us.