Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    If you own a cellphone then your argument is pointless.
    Nah bro, he got a prepaid. Don't ask me who's name his internet is under though. Side-note, I live in PA and there was just this news story that PennDOT (not a major agency, just the one that everyone with a photo ID or Drivers License has to use) sells your info to third-party companies without any need for you consent to boot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So if you move your mouse to the top of your screen and then drag to the right (fast/slow doesn't matter) it seemlessly moves to your second monitor? I know it's not my setup since it's all over the internet. Those indian Microsoft employees that post on their forums say Microsoft is "working on it"... since early 2015. lol
    I had that problem but it was solved by moving the screens in the screen resolution option thing. You can drag them up and down and rearrange them n shit.

Quote Originally Posted by cwowtbang View Post
    I agree. People are so scared of windows 10 but frequently volunteer their personal info on social media every day.
    Even facebook doesn't capture every keystroke you make, unlike OS-based monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    I had that problem but it was solved by moving the screens in the screen resolution option thing. You can drag them up and down and rearrange them n shit.
    There's not much you can do when they are side-by-side already. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Even facebook doesn't capture every keystroke you make, unlike OS-based monitoring.
    When you say "monitoring" are you referring to how ONE (sure, let's not rule out other motives) of the actual needs for that collection is to tailor suggested words based on your previous typing? I'm not saying you should be forced to give up whatever information you don't want to but there is legitimate needs/uses for the things all this software collects.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Cortana is just Windows search with a different name, it's still extremely useful even if you never use it with voice.
    This.

Windows key + type the program I'm looking for + enter = program opens. It's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    This.

Windows key + type the program I'm looking for + enter = program opens. It's fantastic.
    You think that's Cortana?

When you say "monitoring" are you referring to how ONE (sure, let's not rule out other motives)
    Yeah, lets not. And I'm not going to pretend they haven't already sold their backdoor to the NSA, without the fight like Apple.

You can pretend if you want. We'll call their monitoring program resiliency (IE the fact that it's practically impossible to actually cut it off) ... "good design." The fact that it's still transmitting data after you disable all it's options... more "good design."

Quote Originally Posted by cwowtbang View Post
    Sounds like a hardware issue. Bad Memory modules perhaps?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. People are so scared of windows 10 but frequently volunteer their personal info on social media every day.

Turns out the memory was quite fine.
    It was a bios related issue,.

which,. was very odd since i can get into the bios, poke around, install windows 10 just fine ,. but after a random number of minutes - full system freeze. Not even a blue screen.

We updated the bios to a newer firmware and lo and behold it works normally now.

Yeah, lets not. And I'm not going to pretend they haven't already sold their backdoor to the NSA, without the fight like Apple.

You can pretend if you want. We'll call their monitoring program resiliency (IE the fact that it's practically impossible to actually cut it off) ... "good design." The fact that it's still transmitting data after you disable all it's options... more "good design."
    You do know that the NSA is drowning in data, to the point where getting more is useless? Anyways you always jump on win10 threads with your paranoid stuff, it's getting really old, no one at microsoft or anywhere else gives a flying fuck about what you do on your pc but for the tiny bit of data they use to improve windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You do know that the NSA is drowning in data, to the point where getting more is useless? Anyways you always jump on win10 threads with your paranoid stuff, it's getting really old, no one at microsoft or anywhere else gives a flying fuck about what you do on your pc but for the tiny bit of data they use to improve windows.
    Well, if they weren't all concerned about my data, they wouldn't be so forcefully (and illegally) trying to obtain it.

And yes, whenever this nonsense that your data isn't being transmitted to M$ is brought up, I attempt to correct the ignorance. It happens a lot in windows 10 threads, strangely. But that's hardly my only problem with the OS.

Well, if they weren't all concerned about my data, they wouldn't be so forcefully (and illegally) trying to obtain it.

And yes, whenever this nonsense that your data isn't being transmitted to M$ is brought up, I attempt to correct the ignorance. It happens a lot in windows 10 threads, strangely. But that's hardly my only problem with the OS.
    They are only concerned about your data for the purposes of how you are your using your PC so that they can improve your performance. Even if they do grant the NSA access to the data, the NSA only cares about it if you are being investigated as a threat to national security. Otherwise, it just sits there and no one even looks at it. Even if someone did look at it, they can't talk to anyone about it, unless you are a threat to national security in some way.

Now, does that mean I totally agree with what they are doing? Not really, but it's also not gonna stop me from getting better performance on my system. They already have access to pretty much everything just through my ISP and data google collects about what I am doing on the internet. If someone wants to know what you are doing and what you have on your PC, there are plenty of other ways for them to get that information. W10 and the features it has that have been and will continue to be in previous versions of Windows just make it a bit easier. In the long run though, no one cares about your data personally, they just want usage data. The data they gather is not likely tied to you, your name or your IP address in anyway. It's just general usage data.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if you move your mouse to the top of your screen and then drag to the right (fast/slow doesn't matter) it seemlessly moves to your second monitor? I know it's not my setup since it's all over the internet. Those indian Microsoft employees that post on their forums say Microsoft is "working on it"... since early 2015. lol
    Ah, I get what you mean now. Yeah I have that as well. I just thought it was due to me using 1920x1080 and 1680x1050 monitors.

- - - Updated - - -

Except Apple helped the government many many times before without an issue.....

Out of interest, what OS do you actually use?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Out of interest, what OS do you actually use?
    Out of date windows 7/8 versions, as I already wrote in this thread.

Also, I'm pretty sure the screen issue you two are describing already had the solution posted in this thread. You can move the monitor "boxes" around in the resolution settings menu and adjust the mouse clipping.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Out of date windows 7/8 versions, as I already wrote in this thread.

Also, I'm pretty sure the screen issue you two are describing already had the solution posted in this thread. You can move the monitor "boxes" around in the resolution settings menu and adjust the mouse clipping.
    Out of date versions, as in not being updated.... Yet I bet you will blame Microsoft when something happens due to them not being updated.

And no, it's nothing to do with the monitor boxes.

15+ Year Old Account
    @ OP: crashes aren't a direct consequence of OS malfunctioning if I had to take a guess. Granted it's as anecdotal as your experience, I had installed and ran Windows 10 on precisely 43 machines so far for my clients, with all sorts of hardware beneath, still have to face a situation like yours. The root cause is probably in your machine, not in the Windows code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Well, no one so far was able to come with any consecutive proofs of privacy violations or surveillance in Win10. I believe it's just paranoia or plain FUD.

And I still remember those "Activation hurts mah privacy" debates from 15 years ago.

Sounds like OPs hardware is fucked. If he's not tested it with another OS, he has no idea what's causing his problems.

The only thing that irks me about Win10 is the update that breaks the start menu (and all Windows Store apps at the same time, like Calculator). I keep telling it not to install it, it keeps rolling it into another update that I have to disable. This appears to be the same thing that plagued it early in beta, and they've still not fucking fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Out of date versions, as in not being updated.... Yet I bet you will blame Microsoft when something happens due to them not being updated.
    Indeed you know me so well sir. You just keep depending on M$ to keep you safe, I'll keep fixing my own stuff.

And yeah, the mouse thing is in the resolution menu.

Deleted
    The only issue i have with Windows 10, which isn't Windows' fault, is some driver is causing a crash every few days/weeks. Not pinpointed which driver it is as i don't have the time.

Windows 10 is great. It's faster than previous versions IME and the UI is great IMO.

7 is still the best to date IMO, shame it's slow compared to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Just got a new PC, installed Win10,. frozen OS about 5 times before even having drivers installed.
    Not happy.

Has anyone got any issues with windows 10 randomly freezing up and requiring a reboot?
    So far I've yet to find a proper suggestion what may be wrong,. I know it's not the SSD as that was the first thing I unplugged.
    Motherboard settings perhaps,. or windows default network drivers,... so many things that get mentioned on the internet it's hard to pinpoint a proper solution.

Whole story with background here: http://rrvs.blogspot.com/2016/04/the...a-that-is.html
    Simply a case of PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair). You are the problem, not Windows 10.

If your PC is crashing 5 times before installing drivers, then you either didn't build the PC correctly, or one of your components is faulty, most likely the RAM/SSD/HDD.

Windows 10 acts and performs identically to Windows 7, when configured correctly. A 10 year old can google how to disable any unwanted features and successfully remove them, leaving Windows 10 with full directx12 support and all the performance benefits it entails.

I'd recommend sticking to consoles, as it's obvious you have no idea how to build a PC or install an OS, or troubleshoot faulty components.