Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    More and more people are getting exposed to Kristin Stewert's acting

Men still aren't taught to express their feelings to others. They bottle it all up until it becomes too much and they just snap. Until the ability to express what you're feeling to people is decoupled from masculinity, suicide rates among males will only increase.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I thought women did more attempts, but men were more successful?
    Another thing we're better at. #sexism /s
    An attempt is usually a cry for help, as if someone seriously wants to commit suicide, the likelihood of stopping them is slim, and most survivors are rescued after the act has become apparent.
    RETH

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I thought women did more attempts, but men were more successful?
    Another thing we're better at. #sexism /s
    Sounds logical.

Just as with anything in life, women don't get passed the drama and men go for results.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    Its because children these days are so coddled and can't be told about anything negative and never experience losing. Every child is 'special and important and a winner,' and every kid gets a participation award regardless of what happens. Children are not taught how to take a loss, or what experiencing losing is all about, so the first time they experience a hard loss, i.e. a break up, they think the only answer is suicide. I blame the participation awards.
    Great theory, except that kids these days aren't middle aged yet. So bad theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Males aged 40-59 are the most likely group to commit suicide and across all groups people who have never married are 3.3 times as likely to commit suicide according to Statistics Canada.

I think that says everything that needs to be said on the subject. The vast majority of suicides are lonely middle aged men who have failed to start their own family.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    but they just give up! Can't they wait for better times? Death comes anyway, why hurry?
    Death comes anyway, why wait?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Great theory, except that kids these days aren't middle aged yet. So bad theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Males aged 40-59 are the most likely group to commit suicide and across all groups people who have never married are 3.3 times as likely to commit suicide according to Statistics Canada.

I think that says everything that needs to be said on the subject. The vast majority of suicides are lonely middle aged men who have failed to start their own family.
    Aren't those men white too?

When I think of "suicide" I think of white people.

Some further napkin math on the subject. In Canada a man aged 40-59 has roughly a 33/100,000 chance of commiting suicide. So a single unwed man being 3.3 times more likely has roughly a 1 in 1000 chance of commiting suicide.

http://www.besthealthdegrees.com/health-risks/

So based on this fun little infographic... save for participation in any extreme sports, forever alone is most likely to die by offing himself.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ica-skyrockets
    why is it? First world countries. We have got everything: Sliced bread, internet and memes. The memes Jack! The memes!

Is it because of capitalism? Just kidding.
    While the corporations and the very rich (0.1%) have recovered nicely from the economic downturns, the poor and middle classes didn't recover as nicely. They have been getting small raises overall for more than 15 years while costs have continued to go up many times by double-digits (e.g. despite idiots thinking the ACA drove up costs, medical insurance costs have actually been skyrocketing for 2 decades now...the ACA didn't actually impact it one way or the other much overall).

The problem with blaming capitalism is the assumption that we actually have capitalism. What we actually have are oligopolistic markets in a mixed economy that is being more and more heavily influenced by those large corporations with each passing year.

So, when the US recovered from the Great Depression, the government bailed out the people by embarking on large scale projects which created a ton of jobs and taught a lot of people valuable skills. This led to decades of growth for the middle class. When the US recovered from the 2008 depression, the government bailed out the corporations by just giving them money...which created no additional jobs and taught no one any new skills. This has led to what we have today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Because life is overrated ? I mean you live and then you die.

What you do in between is totally irrelevant. Fear of death is some bs people put in your brain so you don't realise it's pointless.

Death is not a big deal, neither is life.

You do what you want.
    Careful there with all that edge! You might cut yourself or someone else!

More people
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Because life is overrated ? I mean you live and then you die.

What you do in between is totally irrelevant. Fear of death is some bs people put in your brain so you don't realise it's pointless.

Death is not a big deal, neither is life.

You do what you want.
    The joys of an atheist lifestyle.

Where everything you do is ultimately irrelevant and pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

Just like real life! Its only pointless and irrelevant if you dont care about the journey and only the destination.

People are just pooping out one-liners in this thread. Here's mine:

Untreated mental health conditions.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I don't think it's too much to ask people to give feedback based on actual abilities/testing, not hyperbole. (Celestalon)

What ? Only religious zealots think this of atheists. I am an atheist, do not believe in man made imaginary friends in the sky. I don't think at all that everything I do is pointless and irrelevant. For one, the journey is important, I am feeling things I am enjoying the ride as much as I can since it's my only ride. I also do not think what I do is irrelevant, it is very relevant to people who will have to ride next.

I think the real nihilists are religious people, THEY think nothing they do here means much because the real thing starts at death. Atheists actually try and make the most of what we have here since it is the ONLY thing we will have.

Also on topic, I firmly believe that what we see here is a symptom of the destruction of real social networks. People used to have to network and live in communities. Now a lot of people especially in cities will not build any kind of network or community at all, they just live their lives and gorge themselves in whatever their hedonistic feelings demand. Be it entertainment or chemicals.

I think people are lost, we are social creatures, we are built biologically to have a strong inner circle and our current culture does not reinforce this at all. It actually discourages it. Some people will live fine in that kind of environment, they have "evolved" but some don't. Those who don't, suffer from depression eventually and the road from depression to suicide is a very short one.
    Last edited by Zcion999; 2016-05-06 at 05:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    try having your own buisness and work 16 + hours a day to make it succesfull before complaining about working 60-80 hours for someone else- also there is such a magical thing as payment being multiplied if you work in overhours so i dont really mind staying more then 8 hours when there is a lot of work since im getting 200-250 % of normal hour salary for each hour then - seems quite worth the hassle.
    You're talking about owning a business. I'm talking about people that do multiple jobs to survive. BIG difference. And yes, I have done both.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    US mental healthcare is terrible.
    There actually has to be a system for you to classify it as terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fliida View Post
    In what universe, healthcare is practically a freebie here. Untreatable, maybe, still a very cheap way to go.
    I may have phrased it wrong, but I meant to say everyone comes to a time in their lives when things are bleak and no hope seems feasible. It is the test of humanity itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    Careful there with all that edge! You might cut yourself or someone else!
    Nothing to do with being "edgy". I'm just being honest about it. I'm not saying "go kill yourself" I'm just saying that people made death such a taboo thing when it literally is nothing really bad.

I mean, obviously I love some people and I don't want them to die, but ultimately if they decide they don't want to live or die from XXX cause, I won't be ultra sad about it for years.

We're just here to pass on some genes and stuff. Whatever you do in your life is meaningless because in the end... it doesn't matter. The only meaningful human can do is find a way to an immortal/undying life. Until then, nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Homophobia is so gay.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

You got it backwards, if there's a god then everything YOU do is irrelevant and pointless, because of the Divine Plan.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side