Two Guardians in One Raid Group for Legion?

Hey everyone!

I wasn't sure if I should've posted this into the Guardian Legion discussion thread or make its own thread, so I figured making its own thread would be the safer decision.

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment. Since the new changes for the Guardian Druid had been released back as early as Blizzcon 2015, I have wanted to switch mains to the Guardian in Legion. I was a Guardian since I started playing back in early WotLK and I switched to Brewmaster at the beginning of WoD for a different taste, and then to Protection Paladin at the start of HFC. Seeing the Prot Pally changes is really disconcerting and I really do not want to play them next expansion if this keeps up, though design changes are pretty much set in stone so there's nothing more I can really hope for.

My issue is that the other tank in my raid group currently is a Guardian. If they're still around by the time Legion is released, and with the current way Guardian plays out in Legion, would it be possible or viable to have two Guardian Druids in a progression raiding team? My guild is hoping for Heroics and possible Mythic content progression for Legion raiding. I have a feeling for Mythics, it would be a no, since taking two different tanks is definitely the better way to go. The only problem is figuring out what I want to play that ISN'T a Guardian Druid - Warriors look promising, though I've heard both positive and very negative things about the way Blizzard has changed them in the Legion Alpha.

Any thoughts regarding the matter are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by barleybear View Post
    Hey everyone!

I wasn't sure if I should've posted this into the Guardian Legion discussion thread or make its own thread, so I figured making its own thread would be the safer decision.

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment. Since the new changes for the Guardian Druid had been released back as early as Blizzcon 2015, I have wanted to switch mains to the Guardian in Legion. I was a Guardian since I started playing back in early WotLK and I switched to Brewmaster at the beginning of WoD for a different taste, and then to Protection Paladin at the start of HFC. Seeing the Prot Pally changes is really disconcerting and I really do not want to play them next expansion if this keeps up, though design changes are pretty much set in stone so there's nothing more I can really hope for.

My issue is that the other tank in my raid group currently is a Guardian. If they're still around by the time Legion is released, and with the current way Guardian plays out in Legion, would it be possible or viable to have two Guardian Druids in a progression raiding team? My guild is hoping for Heroics and possible Mythic content progression for Legion raiding. I have a feeling for Mythics, it would be a no, since taking two different tanks is definitely the better way to go. The only problem is figuring out what I want to play that ISN'T a Guardian Druid - Warriors look promising, though I've heard both positive and very negative things about the way Blizzard has changed them in the Legion Alpha.

Any thoughts regarding the matter are appreciated!
    I'd honestly recommend to just play whatever you want. I've seen two of the same tank finish relatively high (13/13m pre-ilvl buff) almost every tier. Of course, if you're trying to min-max, you'd probably have to reroll anyway or play multiple characters on a fight to fight basis.

Just remember in all of the legion thinking that NOTHING is final yet and tuning is definitely not near what it will be on release date.

it is possible, but it would be hjarder on your guild when they get gear blocked for the tanks, as your both rolling on the same gear.

that in turn alone would make it harder for your guild in general, as the rule of thumb is to gear tanks healers then dps. if both tanks are after the same gear it will be a nightmare if you want to push at the get go.

having a leather/plate tank is probably the best.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    as the rule of thumb is to gear tanks healers then dps.
    That's not the rule of thumb and hasn't been in ages.

Deleted
    you gear dps > dps > dps > dps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tanks > healers.

With how strong bears are looking at the moment, running 2 isn't a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gebuz View Post
    With how strong bears are looking at the moment, running 2 isn't a terrible idea.
    There is this - and unless the mastery changes (even if it gets tuned down, as long as it's a viable stat) there will be some truth to this.

@Kikazz the only tier i remember where you geared tanks > dps was dragon soul, and that was solely with regards to tier. In wrath the solution was to get a better tank class rather than gear up a bad one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Let me just put it out there that my guild is not looking towards any super serious raiding - that is, realm first Mythics and what not. Our schedule is quite short as well (Tuesday/Saturday 2 hours each) so we probably wouldn't reach Mythics until later on in the tier anyway. I understand nothing is final, but I'm not very happy about the design choices for Prot Paladin like I said, mostly due to the loss of HP and nothing there to compensate for it besides our AM on a charge system with no resource needed to use it, and abilities that do very little besides damage and a few reducing the CD on our AM.

I guess I'm just worried about being forced to play something I don't want to play/don't enjoy playing in the end, and not having a fun time raiding or playing the game in general.

Also, in what world do you gear tanks before you gear your DPS?

If you're not pushing for any kind of server firsts, yes having two tanks of the same class is and has been viable for a while now. Tank classes are close enough that the average guild isn't going to notice a significant difference in progression regardless of what classes they use for tanks, provided both tanks are competent with the class they are playing. The only issues with using two of the same is rate of gearing like others have said, and potentially not having access to certain utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    as the rule of thumb is to gear tanks healers then dps.
    Nearly spit out my coffee on that one, I WISH that was the case. <grumbles lousy gear filching dps>

As to the 2 bear tanks. It's doable for sure, but generally variety in tanks allows for more utility/strat options.
    hen again, its a game, so play what you like, cause unless you are pushing for server first or something...it wont really matter.

I personally prefer playing something I like over something that is supposedly strong so this video helped me understand the tank for legion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1pnYLVCTE