Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I mean, just from my perspective alone, I watched and really enjoyed the new Star Wars movie, and after it was over, I thought to myself "Man, I wish I had more Star Wars stuff to immerse myself in... maybe I could finally try SWTOR for a while," because I wanted to continue to be in that "world."

It's not like I didn't know about Star Wars or SWTOR. It's just that seeing and enjoying the movie made me want more, and playing SWTOR was a great way to get more Star Wars.
    Completely my opinion. The movie will be an amazing tool that could bring back both new people and old players.

Now, the release is awfully late compared to the movie. That will probably mitigate the consequences a bit. Which is a shame.

7+ Year Old Account
    The WoW episode of South Park brought an influx of players.
    It's actually how I conned all my friends to join.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if they're going to get into the game, you'd have to have an interest in the lore.

why the fuck would you get into a fantasy game and not care about it's lore? it's stupid.
    You can care about the lore and still get into the game. It's not like the movie's lore is somehow inferior to the "real" lore. Someone who has never heard about Warcraft see's the movie and like's it and gets into the game? What's the problem? At what point does he think "hey, this lore I just saw is wrong so I will not be interested about the game"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I
    ...What's going on? Why is Mark Kern referred to as someone worth taking seriously when it comes to business predictions and decisions?
    I think Mark Kern deserves his own meme for this; when you reference a failure while trying to pretend they're an authority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I really don't think we should see the movie has a oportunity to get new players.

The Warcraft movie is heavly based on the Alliance and Horde conflict,while the game...to be honest in WoD i barely saw the horde in the questline.Even i legion we have this conflict but is more on Worgen Vs Forsaken.IF people decide to try the game they would be like"Elfs?Gnomes?Trolls?Pandaren?Goats?Tauren?Wtf is this?"Besides,the popular games nowadays are fast.Take a MOBA you log,join a queue,join a game,play,exit.

WoW is a slow game where grind take a big role for someone to improve.

Star Wars and SWTOR is more about the name and hype,everyone was hyped for the new episode,some just saw the SWOTR has a oportunity to get more Sw.

I honestly don't like anything related to Sw besides the movies and the old battlefront games(Plus toys because why not),the SW community is just to toxic for me,i can't learn about the awesome universe of Sw without half people complain about prequels,movies,editions.I just leave it alone and move with my life.

Plenty of people play the game on potatoes.
    I had a comp one step above nosehair trimmer-status when I started playing, and that was 8 years ago. Couldn't play above low settings for the longest time, which didn't matter. Even with my current comp, Legion runs better on higher settings than WoD does...could be due to being away from the Garrison continent, who knows?
    So you're not the only one who has crappy garrison experience? The rest of the game is fine for me on ultra, but the garrison loads textures slow?

Holy...

Well, basically the Warcraft movie can suck donkeyballs and be a cringeworthy POS, I'd be surprised if it did worse than Pixels with all the marketing...
    Virtually no movie based on a video game is critically acclaimed (Iirc only the original mortal kombat movie has a higher than 50 percent metacritic rating), but most of them still make their budget. Not all, granted, but most of them. So unless its super mario bro's level of horrendous it should at least make more than its budget.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Deleted
    Honestly... I hope not, I run into enough incapable players as it is.

Movie will bring players in because they are giving the game literally for free if you see the movie? People will atleast check it out.

The new Star Wars movie got me to play Swtor, and I honestly really enjoyed all the new changes. I had played it previously, but quit shortly after launch. The movie basically got me to sub for 5 more months, and convince me that the game was on the right track again. I'm just too big of a WoW fan to main Swtor.

The Marvel movies got me to play Marvel's little Diablo 2/3-esq game on Steam. I also spent about 60 dollars on that game as a result, so that worked. I still perfer Diablo 3 over the Marvel game though.

I could see what the OP was talking about in a way. I won't play games in genres I don't like regardless of a movie. I played Swtor, because I am also a MMO fan. I won't play other Star Wars games, because they're not a genre I enjoy. Just like the only Marvel game I will play is the on similar to Diablo 3.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    - Cliché
    - Childish
    - Unrealistic (especially for character development)
    - Predictive

The narrative is forced (hero/general) and this certainly is not limited with WoD. The flow of events feel unnatural and awkward. Garrosh escapes, triggers WoD, then Gul'Dan escapes and triggers Legion. Ad hoc story element put in just to trigger next expansion. Screams "I am a shit story".

If this was a movie, it would, at best, get 5-6 out of 10 from IMDB. This is what we call average and average is not good, it's average.

Blizzard writers/scripters/story designers are highly incompetent, similar to their game designers. During Mists of Pandaria, I wondered how the fuck these incompetent morons were able to create Warcraft Universe. Then I was told that it was simply a Warhammer ripoff. It made sense.

this.
    Warcraft lore and story turned downhill a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    You can care about the lore and still get into the game. It's not like the movie's lore is somehow inferior to the "real" lore. Someone who has never heard about Warcraft see's the movie and like's it and gets into the game? What's the problem? At what point does he think "hey, this lore I just saw is wrong so I will not be interested about the game"?
    it's what stops me from watching the movie.

i don't want to watch something i know has nothing to do with the thing that got me interested in it in the first place. you could call it an entirely different franchise name and get away with it.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    I may be in a vast minority here, but no movie ever made me wanting to play a related game. Not Star Wars and SWTOR or Lord of the Rings and LOTRO or Pixels and Pacman

Don't know, maybe it is just me.
    Because they are delusional

It's pretty naive to think that the movie is going to bring a lot of players into the game. The game is so big and so old that if someone really wanted to try the game, they would have done so already.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I may be in a vast minority here, but no movie ever made me wanting to play a related game. Not Star Wars and SWTOR or Lord of the Rings and LOTRO or Pixels and Pacman

Don't know, maybe it is just me.
    It's not just you, but don't underestimate the power of accessible fantasy movies, marketing, and children.
    This isn't a WoW thing, it's a Warcraft franchise thing. With this and the YA books coming later this year, this's a reach out to younger audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    It's pretty naive to think that the movie is going to bring a lot of players into the game. The game is so big and so old that if someone really wanted to try the game, they would have done so already.

This. Anytime you mention WoW to someone who hasn't tried yet he will just say it's just too old. At this point it's too late for many new players to try the game out imo

Unless this movie gets mind blowing reviews, I don't believe anyone who hasn't played the game will bother buying the tickets out of reluctance for thinking it's specifically catered to people who have played WoW. Unless they know someone who has played it and DOES want to see it with some helpful convincing.

The people who do know I play WoW have asked if I'm excited about the movie and my typical response is a simple shrug.
    Last edited by hollafame; 2016-05-07 at 02:58 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, the movie would more likely bring back old players due to nostalgia of some degree. Some new players might give it a try, but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    "Average" if done right, can mean gazillions at the box office. To witness: The top three that managed to just pull the right strings with people:

-Titanic
    -Star wars 7

I would almost say that Deadpool making 760 millions is the surprise in recent times...or Maybe Mad Max Fury Road. But really, if you can be REALLY average..you take home the prize
    These productions make up their poor stories with visual effects, their settings and sometimes with hype. Will it be the case for Warcraft?

I may be in a vast minority here, but no movie ever made me wanting to play a related game.
    If 50 million people see the movie world wide, and only 2% of them come to play wow - that's a HUGE increase in WoW.

Especially if there are bonuses, extras, advertising enticing people to 'enter the world of Warcraft' with the movie (as trailers etc).

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.