Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    I'd recommend sticking to consoles, as it's obvious you have no idea how to build a PC or install an OS, or troubleshoot faulty components.
    Somebody had a problem with Windows 10 compatibility?

FUCK EM! Doubters are what makes it crash.

Oh, I forgot to add, at what point will all you non-Win10 users actually upgrade to Win10. Considering Win10 is the last (if MS sticks to their word) version of Windows outside of updates to it.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, at what point will all you non-Win10 users actually upgrade to Win10. Considering Win10 is the last (if MS sticks to their word) version of Windows outside of updates to it.
    Well, considering half the commercial retail world is still using windows XP based machines, I'm not sure I'll ever really need to do that.

I don't really play video games like I used to any more, so if there's some fancy new shit that comes out that I can't play on windows 7, I doubt I'll care.

Can you give me a reason I would ever need to upgrade? Who knows what will be out in 20+ years.

If M$ managed to make outdated versions of windows unable to connect to ISPs or something like that, then I'd probably have to upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Windows 10 should be avoided like no tomorow. Do not go above 7. If you value your privacy at all, ditch 10
    My opinion, just continue to use Windows 10. You can rage against the machine all you want, but you won't win. If you truly value your privacy, then use Linux. Nearly all my PCs use it, except for my gaming PC. That PC runs Windows 10. Just to give you an idea, I still have a hard time running games like Dark Souls on Linux through Wine. Unless the game is specifically made for Linux, you're going to have a bad time.

So what is actually bad about W10? I've had it for a few months and all its done is improved my fps and load times. The one mild annoyance i had was bing on the bottom bar, which i uninstalled.

Deleted
    A happy Linux user here, WoW runs fine on it.

As a software developer Unix based systems are better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    You don`t have to have something to hide to warrant having privacy.

As for the turning things off, they even state in their EULA/ToS or wtf that they can (& will/have done) turn things back on as & when they want, even if it fucks with your system & doesn`t warn you that it has done so.
    You do realize that your computer's operating system is not the only thing out there that may be affecting your privacy, right? Made a phone call lately? Gone to a store? Maybe taken a walk in a public area?

Privacy has been an illusion for many, many years now. I remember discussing it back in grade school in the 80s. The outrage over Windows 10 is frankly ridiculous. Does your phone have a GPS? Better stop carrying it then. Did you buy lettuce at the grocery store last time you went? Don't worry if you can't remember - it's on film there, so you better not buy any more food.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    Simply a case of PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair). You are the problem, not Windows 10.

If your PC is crashing 5 times before installing drivers, then you either didn't build the PC correctly, or one of your components is faulty, most likely the RAM/SSD/HDD.

Windows 10 acts and performs identically to Windows 7, when configured correctly. A 10 year old can google how to disable any unwanted features and successfully remove them, leaving Windows 10 with full directx12 support and all the performance benefits it entails.

I'd recommend sticking to consoles, as it's obvious you have no idea how to build a PC or install an OS, or troubleshoot faulty components.
    OP already posted that a BIOS update fixed the problem, I had similar crashes when I went Skylake due to memory and Mobo not agreeing, a BIOS update also fixed that, system has been rock solid since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    You do realize that your computer's operating system is not the only thing out there that may be affecting your privacy, right? Made a phone call lately? Gone to a store? Maybe taken a walk in a public area?

Privacy has been an illusion for many, many years now. I remember discussing it back in grade school in the 80s. The outrage over Windows 10 is frankly ridiculous. Does your phone have a GPS? Better stop carrying it then. Did you buy lettuce at the grocery store last time you went? Don't worry if you can't remember - it's on film there, so you better not buy any more food.
    I enjoy the constant back and forth between, "You're too paranoid, they're not really monitoring anything!" to "You don't have any privacy anyway, they monitor every device!"

It's cute. But really, give them an inch and they take a mile. I'll stick to an OS that doesn't monitor all my keystrokes just to be on the safe side.

Biggest problems with Windows 10 usually have to do with left over crap PC manufacture installed Software/Drivers sticking around after updating to 10. Usually after having it do a destructive refresh or just manually installing 10 fresh will solve most issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I'd move to Linux for my workstations as soon as Adobe and 1 or 2 other companies decide it's worth it to release their software on Linux.
    I feel you man. Sad times : (

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Have you monitored your network traffic to confirm this, or are you talking about what shows up in your task manager or some other amateur silliness?
    I"m talking about Powershell... and your asking if I'm just looking at just the task manager... O.o.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guess that means me too.

I also work in IT and repair computers, and I use an old version of Win 7 for my main OS, without all those nice privacy-invading features M$ patched in later. I doubt I'll ever upgrade to using Windows 10.

Tell me more.
    Well if your an IT guy then you know all the patches and security updates you've done over the last 2 years has enabled the same privacy features your so deathly afraid of...you should know that but...tell me more.

I am not a big fan of 10 either, it does too many things "automatically." It is my computer, I would like more of a say in what is happening (without having to track down settings to change it). Maybe they could default it in privacy mode, and if you want all the automatic stuff- you can turn that on manually. I also find that i like it a lot better on my touch screen than on my classic screen pc. It really favors touch technology (maybe they could add a touch and a classic mode to make it more friendly?)

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Just got a new PC, installed Win10,. frozen OS about 5 times before even having drivers installed.
    Not happy.

Has anyone got any issues with windows 10 randomly freezing up and requiring a reboot?
    So far I've yet to find a proper suggestion what may be wrong,. I know it's not the SSD as that was the first thing I unplugged.
    Motherboard settings perhaps,. or windows default network drivers,... so many things that get mentioned on the internet it's hard to pinpoint a proper solution.

Whole story with background here: http://rrvs.blogspot.com/2016/04/the...a-that-is.html
    Well for me , if youre using a wireless adapter is to unplug that? lol I still to this day don't know why bugs still exist like that but after I unplugged it I could log in.
    Also If I wanted to use the adapter I had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for it same goes for printers too I believe it's a silly bug that should've been fixed long ago I don't know if this is the problem you're having.

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Windows 10 should be avoided like no tomorow. Do not go above 7. If you value your privacy at all, ditch 10
    Windows 7 and up have the same privacy concerns, seeing as they patched W7 and up to report the same things W10 does. There are programs available that prevent W10 from performing any of its spying and reporting, so your post is not valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post

Makes perfect sense- they are stealing your privacy, so why not give up the rest of it? Huh? What logic is that? If someone robbed you of 100$ but missed the twenty in your bag, would you tell them- hey buddy-you missed this twenty, take it! I guess you would... you don't plan to buy anymore food anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Well if your an IT guy then you know all the patches and security updates you've done over the last 2 years has enabled the same privacy features your so deathly afraid of...you should know that but...tell me more.
    Right, which is why I said I use an unmaintained version of windows, without that nonsense. They didn't start patching that shit into 7/8 until Windows 10 was about to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Windows 7 and up have the same privacy concerns, seeing as they patched W7 and up to report the same things W10 does. There are programs available that prevent W10 from performing any of its spying and reporting, so your post is not valid.
    And this is incorrect.

And those third-party programs you're depending on to circumvent OS function can be patched to no longer work at any time, and M$ does not need to inform you when that happens. IF they even work currently, which is questionable.

And if you're running a third-party program to disable their spyware, chances are you aren't even checking your network traffic to confirm it's doing it's job. You just prefer to assume it is.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2016-05-07 at 01:38 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The problems I have with Win10 is that my start button sometimes isn't working and need to do a manually fix in command prompt every now and then. Oh and since I installed win10 (over 6 months now) my Windows Store app isn't working. I have googled it and it's a common bug still waiting for a fix in a future update.

Right, which is why I said I use an unmaintained version of windows, without that nonsense. They didn't start patching that shit into 7/8 until Windows 10 was about to release.

And this is incorrect.

And those third-party programs you're depending on to circumvent OS function can be patched to no longer work at any time, and M$ does not need to inform you when that happens. IF they even work currently, which is questionable.

And if you're running a third-party program to disable their spyware, chances are you aren't even checking your network traffic to confirm it's doing it's job. You just prefer to assume it is.
    No, it is not correct. Just because you are ignorant of said programs and how they work does not change facts.