Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    The joys of an atheist lifestyle.

Where everything you do is ultimately irrelevant and pointless.
    Not all atheists think that life is pointless, I in particular think its a wonderful struggle and experience. I have though had suicidal thoughts when i was younger (read teenager)..but those stemmed mainly from when my mother would get upset with me, she had a tendency to scream how much she really wish she should have had an abortion. She is not a very warm lady /shrug The Joys of being a failed attempt to keep a terrible marriage together in an extremely religious republican house hold...might also be why i tend to dislike both republicans and religion in general. But really i do not understand this notion that suicide is a bad thing. Life is hard, and there a definite examples of folks who just can not cut it without massive support of everyone else, so much entitlement. I say let them go if they really want to, and know that they are now at peace.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people like Trump and Hillary exist.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    How long can you wait without food? A week? Maybe 2?

The increase is also typically among people who already had underlying mental issues and were covering that up, often with overworking. As soon as they stop, the existential dread sets in and it pushes them over the edge.
    There is a rule of thumb that says you can survive...
    3 minutes without air
    3 hours without shelter
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food
    some add...
    3 months without hope

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I see the suicide gap between men and women is still massive. Can't we inspire our female counterparts to more suicide to be on par with the men?
    Why can't both do it? Double it up! We need more corpses!

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    There is a rule of thumb that says you can survive...
    3 minutes without air
    3 hours without shelter
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food
    some add...
    3 months without hope
    3 seconds without sanitation. The quickest thing that will kill you is illness. It might take a few days to realize you're dead but one sip of contaminated water and you could be done.

You've seen the candidates for the next POTUS, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    In a rather dark humorous take..

More intelligent people are more vulnerable to suicide than not so intelligent people.
    One could therefore conclude, that stupidity is on the rise. And that drives more smart people into suicide.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post

I think the real nihilists are religious people, THEY think nothing they do here means much because the real thing starts at death. Atheists actually try and make the most of what we have here since it is the ONLY thing we will have.
    Well, not exactly. Quite a few religions can be summed up as " what you do here matters, because if you do wrong, you will face punishment."

I'm not just talking about the Abrahamic faiths. The concept of Ma'at in ancient Egyptian polytheism is basically the same thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    I may have phrased it wrong, but I meant to say everyone comes to a time in their lives when things are bleak and no hope seems feasible. It is the test of humanity itself.
    See, I'm not trying to argue with you, while I still find a lot of your points to be invalid. I couldn't give less of a flying fuck if person X put a load of shotgun pellets to their brain. But my general opinion is that it's a cheap way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ica-skyrockets
    why is it? First world countries. We have got everything: Sliced bread, internet and memes. The memes Jack! The memes!

Is it because of capitalism? Just kidding.
    Increased social isolation due to technology (ironic as we are all more connected now via social media), increased financial stresses on young adults due to student loan debt, people still stressed about the economy even though things are OK now...basically people are waiting for another downturn..

Lots of reasons.

Poor mental health care, poor economic conditions.

But I'm sure the good people here will find a way to blame brown people.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    People are just pooping out one-liners in this thread. Here's mine:

Untreated mental health conditions.
    Well mental illness is multifactorial...stigma regarding mental health, lack of access to mental health care due to our health care system and poverty rates, and environmental factors are all relevant, as are genetic factors that influence predisposition towards depression/compulsivity/suicidal ideations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    People are just pooping out one-liners in this thread. Here's mine:

Untreated mental health conditions.
    Ooh I have some:

It's closer to get home, if they just rez at the graveyard.
    No flying mounts.
    Account... Cancelled...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    because YOLO

Bit of an anecdote but it's certainly been on the rise in my local area because of economic issues.

Minimum wage is pathetically low and in some areas there's just massive gaps in employment. Here, you either work shit service jobs for peanuts or you work for the government with next to zero middleground. When people have little money and feel like they can't move on in their life or feel trapped, stress and anxiety starts to eat away at them. That's why during periods of economic downturn, suicide and crime rates spike. People begin to stress over how they'll put food on their table, support themselves or their families, and try to find employment where there may not be any. Normal people will turn desperate.

This then combines with mental health aid often being out of reach of people. It's extremely expensive to pay out of pocket and not always covered by insurance plans that may be offered through crap employers if the employee is even eligible. People turn to drugs and alcohol or spiral out and kill themselves because they simply can't afford therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    because of the rise in draenei avatars.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

but they just give up! Can't they wait for better times? Death comes anyway, why hurry?
    When you lose everything you spent your life making happen?

I'm sure it's easier said than done.

but they just give up!
    In my case, suicide will be because no more options are available, not because I've given up. Sometimes there isn't a solution to life except to end it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zechz View Post
    because YOLO
    Sometimes you aren't living even the once.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    but they just give up! Can't they wait for better times? Death comes anyway, why hurry?
    If someone believes that theres better times, they're in a dream. In our current state and with the worlds population its only gonna get worse
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Deleted
    Because every single day of life feels more painful than death.

Because when you wake up in the morning it takes an enormous amount of effort to even get out of bed.

Because you don't see much of a future for yourself.

Because even if you have loved ones who care for you, you feel like they would be better off if you were gone, that way you wouldn't at least be a burden on them.

Death stops being scary when life itself is hell. There is only so much one can take of hardships and struggle without seeing as much as a glimpse of hope for it to end, or for things to go better again.