Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    There is a reason. It does not process it on the hardware level as AMDs will. It will be a lesser card when running DX12.
    That's speculation for the moment we really won't know anything till after the cards release and get a closer look. Nvidia has yet to state anything about A-sync support. You could be right it doesn't have it or you could be wrong, but in either case if Nvidia still performs there's little reason not to buy.

Ima buy 2 for ma dual 4k setup

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    That's speculation for the moment we really won't know anything till after the cards release and get a closer look. Nvidia has yet to state anything about A-sync support. You could be right it doesn't have it or you could be wrong.
    The card was designed before Async was even a thing.

That and :

This is probably due to the fact that Nvidia has disabled ASync from their driver suite due to the fact that its GPUs cannot process ASync concurrently on the hardware level, rather they need context switching which is expensive in terms of frame rate. Geforce GPUs instead rely on a technique called pre-emption. Which is why you see frame rates actually being unpredictable when ASync is forced.

Pascal was not designed to perform Async on the hardware level and everything seen thus far points to it not being much better at it than Maxwell.
    http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-englis...s-compute-code

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    When can we expect these cards to hit the market?
    1080 May 27
    1070 June 10
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

The card was designed before Async was even a thing.

That and :

This is probably due to the fact that Nvidia has disabled ASync from their driver suite due to the fact that its GPUs cannot process ASync concurrently on the hardware level, rather they need context switching which is expensive in terms of frame rate. Geforce GPUs instead rely on a technique called pre-emption. Which is why you see frame rates actually being unpredictable when ASync is forced.

Pascal was not designed to perform Async on the hardware level and everything seen thus far points to it not being much better at it than Maxwell.
    http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-englis...s-compute-code
    Your link is tagged as a [Rumor] still speculation, still stand by my opinion.

Your link is tagged as a [Rumor] still speculation, still stand by my opinion.
    Did you even read the quote? When Nvidia has to disable Async to perform, it should be your first clue as to what is going on. Their current thinking is they can brute force things, and I just do not see it happening.

Did you even read the quote? When Nvidia has to disable Async to perform, it should be your first clue as to what is going on. Their current thinking is they can brute force things, and I just do not see it happening.
    Don't care, still a Rumor and Speculation. /move along

Don't care, still a Rumor and Speculation. /move along
    Then be blind because everyone in the industry has pretty much said Nvidias' 10xx series will not perform Async at the hardware level.

Wow, that's crazy considering a 980 ti is like $650 bucks and the 1070 will be $379? And the 1070 will be on par/even better then the 980ti..

Then be blind because everyone in the industry has pretty much said Nvidias' 10xx series will not perform Async at the hardware level.
    And that's a opinion based not on Hard Facts, but rumor and speculation. Until more information is available from benchmarks, Official hardware reports or anything from Nvidia or AMD it's speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    From their blog.
    Notice it says nothing about doing it at the hardware level? That is the entire point of both DX12 and Async computing: to do it at the hardware level. They are doing it via software, which performs horribly when compared to doing it via hardware.

Notice it says nothing about doing it at the hardware level? That is the entire point of both DX12 and Async computing: to do it at the hardware level. They are doing it via software, which does it horribly when compared to doing it via hardware.
    Could be hardware or software you don't know either.

Could be hardware or software you don't know either.
    Again: (don't know why you have so much trouble reading)

Nvidia has disabled ASync from their driver suite due to the fact that its GPUs cannot process ASync concurrently on the hardware level, rather they need context switching which is expensive in terms of frame rate.

Again: (don't know why you have so much trouble reading)
    Frankly, I'm done with you son. Believe what you like.

So "Founders Edition" is just getting the card early and paying extra? Is that how I understand it?

- - - Updated - - -

Frankly, I'm done with you son. Believe what you like.
    I would wait for reviews, NVidia have said in the past that they can enable the feature in drivers, which didn't happen. The wait isn't long and then we should know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    So "Founders Edition" is just getting the card early and paying extra? Is that how I understand it?

- - - Updated - - -

I would wait for reviews, NVidia have said in the past that they can enable the feature in drivers, which didn't happen. The wait isn't long and then we should know for certain.
    The Founders Edition features the new edgy (lol) cooler and has a higher quality skew of GPUs, so that in theory they should always Overclock really good.

I bought a 980 ti last month, I'm so going to sell it and buy a 1080 as soon as EK has a waterblock ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    Think I may still wait for Polaris 10.
    Have fun waiting then. Rumors say that Polaris 10 won't have high end GPUs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Seems like it. Especially for 1080 where GDDR5X ramped up barely even a month ago.
    So when are aftermarket cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    So when are aftermarket cards?
    Well, they said later. Makes me wonder if supply is an issue and they will try to milk those cards as much as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to wait until the 1080ti comes out before I replace my 980ti, but it all depends on how the benchmarks and the 3rd party bling plays out.

I'm not buying into any graphs until real benchmarks.

Holding my excitement until I see real benchmarks but they look good.

I'll be waiting for the 1080ti to upgrade either way but a 1070 might go very well with my portable VR build.