Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 3 of 103 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Wonder if it would be worthwhile for me to sell my GTX 980 and buy a 1080? I don't really want to put a GPU that's so powerful that my CPU holds it back though, even though I have an i7 4770k which I bought new there's already newer CPUs available right now.

Wat do?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always ignore the marketing bullshit and skip a generation before upgrading, I'm currently on 980ti, waiting for 1180ti
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    how much better is the 1070 then an r9 390 8gb?

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    how much better is the 1070 then an r9 390 8gb?
    We don't really know yet. But it's pretty safe to assume so.

Yeah I just read that again.. We don't know how much better yet..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Wonder if it would be worthwhile for me to sell my GTX 980 and buy a 1080? I don't really want to put a GPU that's so powerful that my CPU holds it back though, even though I have an i7 4770k which I bought new there's already newer CPUs available right now.

Wat do?

I don't think that's possible to bottleneck anytime soon. That cpu should be good to last a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I always ignore the marketing bullshit and skip a generation before upgrading, I'm currently on 980ti, waiting for 1180ti
    you got a 980 ti... thats enough for a few years

need dem tests

but Polaris 10 better have a comparable performance to 1070, I dont care how cheap it will be

between Polaris 10 being @ ~390X/970/980 level for $300 or 1070 being @ ~Titan X/980Ti level for $380 I would get the 1070, Async be damned, assuming its even an issue anymore (and my understanding is that not every DX12 game is going to automatically use Async, right ?)

but if AMD can give 1070 power for $350 or less then they might have beaten Nvidia .. its obvious the 1070 level card will be the main seller, the 1080 is for rich/enthusiast minority

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    need dem tests

but Polaris 10 better have a comparable performance to 1070, I dont care how cheap it will be
    Polaris won't be high end GPUs, they will be affordable mainstream GPUs.

X70 is not a true high-end either, thats reserved for X80 and X80Ti

I dont see why AMD cant compete with 1070 with their top Polaris10 card

Deleted
    Gonna get my pre-order in for that 1070 before stocks run out, that's an absolute steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    X70 is not a true high-end either, thats reserved for X80 and X80Ti

I dont see why AMD cant compete with 1070 with their top Polaris10 card
    xx70 IS high end. xx50 and xx60 is middle class

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Gonna get my pre-order in for that 1070 before stocks run out, that's an absolute steal.
    Very fstupid idea. It's not like there cards won't ever be available again after they run out of initial stock. Waiting for actual benchmarks, reviews and possibly aftermarket coolers is the smart way of buying new stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    And then find out it might also have a memory issue or other minor issues? (It probably won"t have the memory issue, it was just an example)

Like Larix said, pre-ordering something like this is not the best move. I would also wait untill benches are out, and possible better aftermarket coolers are available. Although as of late, they are released on the same date.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be time to replace the old 680...

Although I'm gonna be CPU bottlenecked hardcore now :x

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also be curious to see if SLI 1070's outperform a single 1080 (on stuff where SLI works)

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Polaris won't be high end GPUs, they will be affordable mainstream GPUs.
    We don't know the performance of either P10 or GTX1070. We don't even know exact numbers for the 1080 outside of what NVidia provided. Without reviews for cards from both camps we won't really know who will competes with who.

We have seen in the past with Fermi how NVidia required a lot larger GPU to compete with AMD. I am not going to exclude the possibility of a smaller GPU beating a bigger one especially now when GCN 4 has a lot of improvements and they don't use the same node (TSMC vs GF).

Too early to say.

SLI 1070's outperform a single 1080
    pretty sure they will

GTX 1080 seems to be >= SLI 980, but still below SLI 980Ti

and GTX 1070 is basically = 980Ti

Deleted
    welp only the founders/reference designs are launching on may27/jun10, and it looks like aftermarket ones are gonna be delayed. So that should be plenty of time to see what AMD has in stock if they are announcing their stuff at computex or even e3 before making any decisions.

Only probable drawback is that if amd paper launches too a real comparison might take till july, but we should be able to have a general idea if the 1070 gets competition by early june.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't give a shit if I just bought a 970 a few months ago.

The 1080 is what I've been waiting for ALL MY LIFE!

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Nvidia said nothing about DX12, if it was good they would for sure have made a fuss about it. So I imagine the Dx12 async perfomance gona be as bad as maxwell.

15+ Year Old Account
    The cooler looks like crap now. I think I'm gonna stick with my 780.