Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account

Druid choices in profession in Legion

Hello everyone
    Whit the coming of Legion (much expected from my part) and all the new exciting changes i get the doubt if I should change my professions.
    One profession that I would not want to change is enchanting, I always had it and I want to keep it.

Whit enchanting I have Jewelcrafting and my doubt is:

Whit legion and all the new stuff should I change JC to other thing?
    I only play whit Dazkareith and I do not think I will play whit other alts, so mats would be a problem.
    Other profession that would suit whit enchanting is tailoring but would it be useful for a Boomkin Druid?
    Will it be profitable?

Any opinion would be very much appreciated.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    We don't know yet. Don't switch till more info comes. Also, server economy differs. Any advice here might be true for one server and totally wrong/false for yours. No profession matches well with enchanting. Gear crafting professions match, but only IF (if, if if...) there's a niche craft with very low amount of mats that come in abundance and sell cheap in AH. Example: Tailoring in MoP. Matched well with enchanting since you could cheapily produce cloaks which then you sharded for mats (the transformation of MoP enchanting mats helped as well).
    Last edited by Fabinas; 2016-05-05 at 11:41 AM.

Deleted
    On your setup of the one-main-character-only situation, it depends on your personal priorities. I personally value end-game gearing, gold making but also ease-of-use of gold making. For that reason I like things like enchanting (convenient for end-game and easy to use for gold making) and crafting the gear it wears (though that factor alone might become irrelevant for the largest part of the expansion) and I despise the horrors of inscription (absolutely horrendous in terms of ease of use for gold making on a main character because of the obscene amount of bag space and reposting it needs) or gathering professions (it's usually more profitable to just buy the mats, barring some extremely rare exceptions, call me the first 4 days of the expansion).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    My advice is to not take any of the armor crafting professions in the expectation that you will be making useful gear for yourself. Unless Blizzard introduces a lot of new patterns at release then the current selection is very poor. There is one set of Ilvl 700 gear that will very quickly be replaced once you get to broken isles. There is also a set of ilvl 800 gear that you cant equip until L110, but if you do any sort of group content at all, you will quickly be replacing those pieces as well. At best they will provide a short lived ilvl boost to get you into heroic dungeons. The armor crafting profs do have pets, mounts, and toys though, in addition to utility items like Bardings, crowbars, etc. Just dont expect to be getting good raid-viable gear from them at release.

Inscription on the other hand will be a goldmine. Vantus Runes can be used once a week to offer a week long damage buff for the raid boss of your choosing. You can only use one rune per week, but the buff lasts all week long. These runes are tradeable, which means there is going to be an enormous demand for them.

Note that the information by Nihilan is true in general, but erroneous in some of the specifics. he's generally correct to say that if you focus on leveling up your armor crafting profession ( leatherworking in this case) won't keep up with you. That said he neglects the 1-3 star nature of the new armor patterns which give them slightly more longevity. the point remains though that you likely will have a hard time making much usable gear before you outgear it as getting the higher rated recipes involves running dungeons and potentially annoyingly long quest chains for patterns you may not want.

Sadly wowhead and the like don't accurately show the ranks, and I am personally too lazy to raise my tradeskills past the point where I can solo quest for them so the exact specifics of what you can craft is A) not well documented, and B) still in flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazkareith View Post
    Hello everyone
    Whit the coming of Legion (much expected from my part) and all the new exciting changes i get the doubt if I should change my professions.
    One profession that I would not want to change is enchanting, I always had it and I want to keep it.

Whit enchanting I have Jewelcrafting and my doubt is:

Whit legion and all the new stuff should I change JC to other thing?
    I only play whit Dazkareith and I do not think I will play whit other alts, so mats would be a problem.
    Other profession that would suit whit enchanting is tailoring but would it be useful for a Boomkin Druid?
    Will it be profitable?

Any opinion would be very much appreciated.
    any of these questions about should i do this, should i do that can be answered with: pick what you want.

you'll probably end up changing multiple times to whatever the flavor of the month is and since there really is no data about which profs will do x the best, seems a little pre-emptive to make a thread about this
    Last edited by Chipskunk; 2016-05-06 at 02:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way too early to tell or to consider professions.

Warlock always and forever, Necromancer otherwise
    It is better to be feared than it is to be loved, if you cannot have both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vurrin View Post
    he neglects the 1-3 star nature of the new armor patterns which give them slightly more longevity. the point remains though that you likely will have a hard time making much usable gear before you outgear it as getting the higher rated recipes involves running dungeons and potentially annoyingly long quest chains for patterns you may not want.
    That sounds like depended on your guild performance. If you are top 200 world you will likely not need much BOE. If that is true it's good for the game because to be frank we had a lot of "buy to win" items lately that can only be competed by the top 10 world for a while.

Deleted
    You could always have a gathering profession and just sell the mats. Gathering looks to be a lot more useful and interesting in Legion. I've leveled up herbalism mainly because the Fox buff looks like fun

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    From questing alone you will be at or very near to an ilevel of 795 by the time you hit level 110. Rares in Suramar drop gear that starts at 805 and can scale to around 830 if you get lucky with an upgrade proc. If Blizzard does not raise the ilevel of crafted armor before launch it will be all but completely useless except for grinding Obliteratum at an inefficient rate.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-05-09 at 02:18 PM.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all your effort to calm my doubts, I will wait and see what is coming.
    All this is cause to the new changes and i don´t think that spending loads of gold buying materials in the AH will be that helpfull, and we know that sometimes we do realy need those mats and spending money is not a good thing (poor druid here).

I wanted with all this is support my character and my professions whout the help of AH and/or having to level a alt for farming

Farming weeds, ore and fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazkareith View Post
    Thanks for all your effort to calm my doubts, I will wait and see what is coming.
    All this is cause to the new changes and i don´t think that spending loads of gold buying materials in the AH will be that helpfull, and we know that sometimes we do realy need those mats and spending money is not a good thing (poor druid here).

I wanted with all this is support my character and my professions whout the help of AH and/or having to level a alt for farming
    I was in alpha/am in beta, and I spend a lot of time on professions. So far, my impression of Legion is that you want to avoid using the AH or using an alt for farming, then JC will be the best profession for you to drop just because of the demand for ore.

One thing you should know, though, is that there is a lot of 'cross-talk' between professions in Legion. Any profession is going to require materials from each of the other professions. So you can't totally avoid the AH. But dropping JC will at least take the pressure off you to come up with large amounts of ore for prospecting.

For a second profession alternative, you might consider one of the gathering professions. As others have pointed out, wait until there is more detailed information available about Legion before making a final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Inscription on the other hand will be a goldmine. Vantus Runes can be used once a week to offer a week long damage buff for the raid boss of your choosing. You can only use one rune per week, but the buff lasts all week long. These runes are tradeable, which means there is going to be an enormous demand for them.
    Every raiding guild will have someone to make the guild runes. Everyone else won't care since it's a pretty trivial buff. I'm not seeing much profit in runes. The rest of inscription has been gutted so why continue being a scribe?

Deleted
    Pugs might use them, and small 10man groups might not have someone to make them.

Even casuals usually tryhard what they can to kill a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    Every raiding guild will have someone to make the guild runes. Everyone else won't care since it's a pretty trivial buff. I'm not seeing much profit in runes. The rest of inscription has been gutted so why continue being a scribe?
    Aren't glyphs consumables again? The glyph tab is going away last I heard and you had to apply glyphs directly to spells in your spellbook. I'm also assuming that you can still make cards and staffs.

I will be taking Enchanting (as always) and now Inscription because of the Talent-switching item scribes can make. Hopefully getting herbs will be easy...

I hate that they are nerfing boomkin starfall. I really liked farming with druid.

I don't see why anyone would ever have any druid profession combo other than Engineering and Herbing.

Please feel free to attempt to make arguments to the contrary though.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not trying to argument here, but why specifically engineering on a druid than any other class? Curious to know your reasons.