Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think many celebrities are hot, like you get Scarlett Johansson mentioned all over the place but although I think she is really attractive, I don't find her anything to go nuts for.

Then it reminds me how Beyonce was all the hype too at some point, she was literally never on my radar ever, something like a 2 on a 10 scale list. Literally being turned off by her a LOT.

I just get WAY more attracted to girls I see walking on the street or like movies also but where they aren't necessarily famous.

I just don't understand why people are so attracted to celebrities, is it just look or is there like an attraction to the fame more then the look? Because on a pure look level, I don't think they are any better then casual women, I mean how could they? It's not like celebrities are born with a better look gene.

Another example would be Emma Watson from Harry Potter, she is REALLY meh to me and yet I find peple are attracted to her just because of the movie and how she is a dork but look wise? Maybe a 5. Then there's Kristen Stewart from Twilight, to be she is very gorgeous but I know many dislike her because the movie was bad or for romantic girls or something, well the movie doesn't influence my opinion, she would be something like 8 on my scale on her good days.
    It's a psychological condition.

So why do i keep hearing girls dont care about muscles, lol
    It's a fine line, buddy. Just like long hair- not every one can pull it off. Just having long hair or being buff doesn't make one attractive, per se.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    They are attractive, but not excessively so. Seriously I could go to any major mall or sporting even and see flocks of females that are better looking.

Although I will correct myself, their is one Kardisian/ Jenner who seems to be independently successful (Kindall?). The rest are only Rich because of their father.

I mean without the KK sex tape, they would just be another spoiled Beverly hills family that no one cares about
    Well Kim's game made 80m last year, I think she is independently successful, if not before, certainly now.

I don't know too much about what they all do, all I know iswhats really out there, modeling, hosting certain events, their TV show that's trashy but loved by enough people.

Different people find different people attractive, for you they might be a 6 but for another a 10, I think they generally score high enough and the fact that they're rich and people can't have them, makes them all the more attractive in the eyes of the common folk.

I don't really find them interesting, but I can see why they attract such a large crowd of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's a fine line, buddy. Just like long hair- not every one can pull it off. Just having long hair or being buff doesn't make one attractive, per se.
    Yeah thats one thing that I keep hearing too, how girls like long hair, yet I don't think I've ever seen seen a guy with long hair that I though was good looking, and the irony is most guys like to have short hair and they look much better with short hair imo. Hell guy can even look better being hairless, something girls just cant do.

Question whatever you take for granted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like to think like this but is this because what they chose to do in their life is not interesting enough for them to stop caring about other people ?
    I hope I'm wrong, and I'm willing to understand.

As for the look, well, they are "prepared" and enhanced to look the best they could. So a lot find them attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    I think they generally score high enough and the fact that they're rich and people can't have them, makes them all the more attractive in the eyes of the common folk.

I don't really find them interesting, but I can see why they attract such a large crowd of people.
    lol, to me that is literally the exact opposite, that's probably why I don't find them so attractive is because I KNOW I can't have them, yet if I see a profile picture on a dating site or some girl in real life, the fact that I can see her in real time or to know that there is a small chance to make contact, attracts me way more because my mind knows its possible. How can you be attracted to something that can't happen is beyond me.

They're shoved down our throats by marketing companies, I don't think the average person gives a shit about celebrities.

Deleted
    lol, to me that is literally the exact opposite, that's probably why I don't find them so attractive is because I KNOW I can't have them, yet if I see a profile picture on a dating site or some girl in real life, the fact that I can see her in real time or to know that there is a small chance to make contact, attracts me way more because my mind knows its possible. How can you be attracted to something that can't happen is beyond me.
    Because the things that are generally the most desirable are hard to come by. And if you can't have something, whether that's a celebrity, that 400£ car or whatever, makes people generally want it so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They're shoved down our throats by marketing companies, I don't think the average person gives a shit about celebrities.
    This pretty much.

I don't often agree with Celista because shes a loon, but this is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    Because the things that are generally the most desirable are hard to come by. And if you can't have something, whether that's a celebrity, that 400£ car or whatever, makes people generally want it so much more.
    Yeah, thats not how i work, i crave what I know I can have, that doesn't mean i dont crave other things like ton of money ofc but in general, I fantasy over things that I know are achievable.

This pretty much.

>.>

/10char

This pretty much.

Actually I do see this happen, which is why I made this thread. I see average person mention celebrities all the time.

Actually I do see this happen, which is why I made this thread. I see average person mention celebrities all the time.
    I think it's more common amongst young people...it is interesting how some people tend to become emotionally attached to celebrities, I think these people have a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality...actually knowing a person versus who they market themselves as in the media.

@supertony51 also strikes me as a loon but as you note I was classy enough not to mention it until now, unlike the mentioned party. I guess we're dissolving into name-calling now for no foreseeable reason?

I'd like to live where you live when Beyonce is a 2 out of 10. Kristen Stewart is attractive at one point, but she really isn't hot in the Twilight movies. I guess we go "crazy" for these celebs because we get to see 22 hours of them in a series or 2 hours of them in a movie. I really don't know just trying to come up with reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I'd like to live where you live when Beyonce is a 2 out of 10.
    Have you seen her without makeup and her wig? And no, her former hair was not actually her hair...

She's not 2 out of 10 but she's pretty average.

>.>

/10char
    I jest I jest

You're nuts, but like a pecan, and I like pecans

I don't think most people are actually obsessed with celebrities, but I do think that most people assume that everyone else is obsessed with celebrities. I suppose it's one manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger effect - the rest of society is filled with brainwashed idiots who have nothing better to do than read tabloids and watch reality shows, but of course, I in my all-encompassing wisdom am far too intellectual and sophisticated to bother with such trifles.

The Kardashians and their ilk provide a useful escapist fantasy for people - NOT the fantasy of a glamorous and drama-filled Hollywood lifestyle, but the fantasy where you're the only sane individual surrounded by clueless morons, and the latter is FAR more potent.

10+ Year Old Account
    As it's been said - it's easy. Celebrities form a foundation that the general population can refer to. They're basically definitions of terms for talking about human qualities.

That being said, I don't think they're particularly special, and I think people's infatuation with them often goes way too far.

I think it's more common amongst young people...it is interesting how some people tend to become emotionally attached to celebrities, I think these people have a hard time differentiating between fantasy and reality...actually knowing a person versus who they market themselves as in the media.

@supertony51 also strikes me as a loon but as you note I was classy enough not to mention it until now, unlike the mentioned party. I guess we're dissolving into name-calling now for no foreseeable reason?
    You realize I was joking right?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another example would be Emma Watson from Harry Potter, she is REALLY meh to me and yet I find peple are attracted to her just because of the movie and how she is a dork but look wise? Maybe a 5. Then there's Kristen Stewart from Twilight, to be she is very gorgeous but I know many dislike her because the movie was bad or for romantic girls or something, well the movie doesn't influence my opinion, she would be something like 8 on my scale on her good days.
    I'm much the same with this, Think Emma Watson is meh, but Kristen for all her bad acting I find incredibly attractive. I think its the freckles, eyes and chipmunky teeth.