Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guess it's time to upgrade my Pc, currently running i5 2500k, 580GTX etc.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably get a 1070 because my GPU is kinda weak in comparison to my whole PC

It's a 780.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    the 1070 is tempting at that price (assuming it comes over to the UK at a similar conversion rate anyway) had been looking at getting the 970 soon, but if the 1070 is the same price it seems silly not to. (unless the 970 drops a lot in price perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    That's speculation for the moment we really won't know anything till after the cards release and get a closer look. Nvidia has yet to state anything about A-sync support. You could be right it doesn't have it or you could be wrong, but in either case if Nvidia still performs there's little reason not to buy.
    No, you would be very silly to buy since Dx12 is going to become more widely used. Also you don't know what AMD is going to bring out, i would wait 6months to buy a new card(I'm going too). Nvidia are in a hurry to release the 10xx series, why? only nvidia knows but i have a feeling it's got to do with what AMD have coming out.

yeah keep waiting for that Vega while people will be playing maxxd out on their 1070s/1080s

Nvidia are in a hurry to release the 10xx series, why?
    cause they'e awesome cards and they're ready ?

you know people will buy them and Nvidia will make a profit

Picked up a 980 just a month ago myself because I expected the cards to be right around where they are now. Had a nice deal on it so it was in my price range, but the $600 is past that, and the 1070 isn't all that much more powerful. I doubt the 980 will have any trouble with games for at least two to three more years.

That and I far prefer after market cards, so will see how long it takes for asus/msi and so on to get their versions out.

and the 1070 isn't all that much more powerful
    same difference as between Titan X and 980

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    same difference as between Titan X and 980
    Which isn't terribly better in terms of gaming, and in some rare cases (I think, not confirmed) the 980 even performed better, but this was most likely do to driver issues or other such nonsense, not the hardware itself.
    Last edited by Wolfheart9; 2016-05-07 at 08:06 PM.

980 never performed better then Titan X, pretty sure that'd be impossible

but yes the difference isnt that huge

I am sad for these prices. They've managed to create a business strategy when they can launch mid-range cards at ridiculous prices of 600 USD+. Of course the opposition follows suit, but at least that is with their highest-end cards.
    This is just something that they've done since the GTX 680 (which, thankfully was cheaper) and I'm not at all a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I am sad for these prices. They've managed to create a business strategy when they can launch mid-range cards at ridiculous prices of 600 USD+. Of course the opposition follows suit, but at least that is with their highest-end cards.
    This is just something that they've done since the GTX 680 (which, thankfully was cheaper) and I'm not at all a fan.
    ... in what strange, futuristic world do you rate the 1080 at a 'mid range' card?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    ... in what strange, futuristic world do you rate the 1080 at a 'mid range' card?
    In the same way that the GTX 680 and the GTX 980 was and the GTX 480 and the GTX 580 wasn't, I rate this as a mid-range card. It's not the full Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In the same way that the GTX 680 and the GTX 980 was and the GTX 480 and GTX 580 wasn't.
    The 1080 is literally the best graphics card (according to their charts) that will be on the market. That's called 'High end', also known as 'Bleeding edge', for what it is, which is a card that can match or beat another card currently listed at near a $1000, that's cheap. Want less? They're putting out the 1070, which is still better than their former beasts for less than what a 980 sells for now.

Deleted
    The 1080 is literally the best graphics card (according to their charts) that will be on the market. That's called 'High end', also known as 'Bleeding edge', for what it is, which is a card that can match or beat another card currently listed at near a $1000, that's cheap. Want less? They're putting out the 1070, which is still better than their former beasts for less than what a 980 sells for now.
    Yeah, but the chip they are using will be a "mid-end" chip.

x00 = high end, top of line
    x04 = Mainstream
    x06 = low end

That is how it used to be. Of course, the 1080 will offer high end performance. But it is not the full chip. That will be the 1080ti (if it will be released like that) and that will be real high end.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2016-05-07 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    yeah keep waiting for that Vega while people will be playing maxxd out on their 1070s/1080s

cause they'e awesome cards and they're ready ?

you know people will buy them and Nvidia will make a profit
    You're not seeing the bigger picture here, Dx12 is the way going forward and 10xx will have the same issues i fear that Maxwell did with it. People would be very silly to buy 10xx without seeing what AMD brings since they are very far ahead in terms of Dx12 performance. Even if Polaris is behind on hardware specs but being full Dx12 compatible will see that gap closed on Dx12 titles quite a bit and costing a lot less, it will be a big win for AMD and i will be the one laughing at the 10xx people that cannot play Dx12 with a card that costs twice that amount of an AMD card at the same performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Yeah, but the chip they are using will be a "mid-end" chip.

x00 = high end, top of line
    x06 = Mainstream
    x04 = low end

That is how it used to be. Of course, the 1080 will offer high end performance. But it is not the full chip. That will be the 1080ti (if it will be released like that) and that will be real high end.
    I guess I just don't see the point of saying it's this terrible thing. It's providing better performance than anything you could possibly get right now, moreso than an SLI'd 980 pair (Which would run you probably around $900 if you got them on sale) and a titan x which is near the same if not more expensive. The jump from the 900 series to the 1000 series is one of the largest they've ever done, I'm pretty damned happy with the price myself.

The 1080 is literally the best graphics card (according to their charts) that will be on the market.
    That is very subjective and biased, it's also what I refer to as the hype train PR mambo jumbo.

It might be the king of Dx11 but I want to see Dx12 benchmarks from both camps before i make a decision on anything.
    Last edited by Roar-Powah; 2016-05-07 at 08:26 PM.

That is very subjective and biased
    oh yeah Im sure that Polaris 10 will magically pull 1080 level power out of its red ass

at some point you need to stop with the denial

1080 WILL be the top dog (in terms of raw performance) until HBM2 cards roll in

that is a FACT

we know enough about Polaris 10 to say it wont be competing with 1080

its still unclear whether it will even compete with 1070

Quote Originally Posted by Roar-Powah View Post
    That is very subjective and biased, it's also what I refer to as the hype train PR mambo jumbo.
    Okay.. what's subjective about it? I was very specific in saying that according to their charts, it is. Name me any card on the market right now that will do more than what said charts say it can do, because if not, my statement is factual and nonbiased. Had I said it was the best card period without referencing the charts, you'd have a point.

Deleted
    I guess I just don't see the point of saying it's this terrible thing. It's providing better performance than anything you could possibly get right now, moreso than an SLI'd 980 pair (Which would run you probably around $900 if you got them on sale) and a titan x which is near the same if not more expensive. The jump from the 900 series to the 1000 series is one of the largest they've ever done, I'm pretty damned happy with the price myself.
    We are not calling it terrible (or I am not doing that). I am just stressing, that the GP 104 ( I messed up the numbers I see now, I will correct them...) is not the high end chip, that would be the gp100 or maybe they will make a gp102 this time.

And what do you mean jump? In performance? The 1080 will probably perform the same as an OCed 980ti. Both will cost the same, the 1080 will probably require less power.

The jump from 28nm to 16nm is quite big yeah.

Okay.. what's subjective about it? I was very specific in saying that according to their charts, it is. Name me any card on the market right now that will do more than what said charts say it can do, because if not, my statement is factual and nonbiased. Had I said it was the best card period without referencing the charts, you'd have a point.
    The charts are biased tho... They just show some conclusion without the original data for backing up that conclusion. The end numbers will come close to them, but still... Nvidia (and of course also AMD) will show best case scenarios for their new cards.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2016-05-07 at 08:30 PM.