Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rebirth system in WoW?

Would you like it?

If Blizzard accepts to work on retro or ''pristine'' realms, i think it's already a step in a right direction. Slowing the leveling process and removing automatic group finder would be healthy for the game.

Do people quit the game because it takes months to level up a character? No, they quit because all their character are at level cap and they're bored out of their ass when they find nothing else to do beside raiding.

Sure, when they announced faster leveling, everyone got excited, ''Hey i'll be able to reach level cap faster with my priest!'' But was it healthy for the game? Stagnation at lower level allows player to team up either for quests or dungeons. A lot of us can remember being able to find a group within minutes in Tanaris, just to run Zul'Farrak, or running into other players to quest with in Stranglethorn Vale. Nowadays everyone minds their own business while leveling so much it became fast, waiting for someone is a waste of time. And is it really ''multiplayer'' when nobody in your dungeon group says a word at all and everybody disbands just as fast as the group got formed?

Leveling WAS a part of the game, not just a prerequisite before the real game starts.

''You can always create more alts.'' Sure, but that's where a rebirth system would be welcome. People are attached to their mains, they love them, play with them, raid with them. It's also with those characters they have the most stories to tell. People feel way more compelle to stick with a character if they actualy have to spend lots of time and work of it, they feel attached to their character. I personnaly would like to relive the leveling experience with my main character as i did back in the days, in a World of Warcraft where the world was a lively place, filled with players and challenge, where leveling was a huge accomplishment in itself! I didn't have 30 characters across multiple realms, i had just a few, but each of them were important to me.

I don't see why it would hurt. Those who love to raid can stick to their main character, while those who prefer leveling or playing with alts can do so by creating an alt or via a rebirth system.

You never really explained what "rebirth" is, so I'm lost.

What is a rebirth system?

And Blizzard is never going to work on Classic realms. Ever. It's not going to happen.

Use your brains, dummies. In the context of what he has written, the rebirth system is clearly a suggestion for a game feature where you can reset your main and start over from level 1.

I think such a change could be a fun addition, and people wouldn't be forced to do it. Call it Adventure Timewalking or something. They could, for example, add a new character tab with a button that allows you to go back as though your character has just been created. You are then free to quest and do low-level dungeons. You could visit the character tab again to return to your level 110 and adventure at max level once more. Whenever you feel like it, you can return to your level 12 or whatever and continue from there. They could even add Prestige levels like they did for PvP for every time you hit max level on the same character.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    People don't like leveling though.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by Velios View Post
    Use your brains, dummies. In the context of what he has written, the rebirth system is clearly a suggestion for a game feature where you can reset your main and start over from level 1.

I think such a change could be a fun addition, and people wouldn't be forced to do it. Call it Adventure Timewalking or something. They could, for example, add a new character tab with a button that allows you to go back as though your character has just been created. You are then free to quest and do low-level dungeons. You could visit the character tab again to return to your level 110 and adventure at max level once more. Whenever you feel like it, you can return to your level 12 or whatever and continue from there. They could even add Prestige levels like they did for PvP for every time you hit max level on the same character.
    calling people dummies when didnt stick to your title nor explain what rebirth was.....

.....either way it's a bad idea.

I don't even have a main. I am an altaholic. If I had to play the game like vanilla where it took so long to level a toon that you could only play one toon, I would be really bored and not want to play. I would bet most people quit playing wow because of the time it takes. Even though its faster to level a toon, wow is still a major time sink. Why would you want to reset a toon back to level 1 when you could level another toon and have it do a different profession. You could do the same class again or something else.

Oh, yeah sorry for the lack of clarification.

By Rebirth i mean that you select one of your character that is at level cap, that character is now level one, so you can quest and run dungeons at low level again. Keeping the same character and character slot, keeping your armor and other loot stored. And also maybe giving that character a bonus once it reaches level cap again (like increased drop rate or currencies)

Personally, anything that can create a stagnation of players at low level would be fine, that way leveling become meaningful again, players have a reason to group with other players again, and reaching level cap becomes a real accomplishment. Pristine Realms and/or a Rebirth system just seems like the best way to achieve this.

As i said i don't see what could go wrong with this. Players who prefer to raid are unaffected, and those who prefer playing with alts or leveling get to enjoy doing it with other players and have a meaningful experience.

Don't any of you guys miss your first days in WoW? When it took MONTHS to level up a character, when the game was WAY more than just raiding, when people actually formed groups outside of level cap.

This would be a fine suggestion if leveling were any fun.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was doing the 1 to 20 thing for hearthstone hero thingy. I used an alt account which had NOTHING. It was a fresh account, and when I entered a dungeon, I was told to leave coz I had no heirlooms and would slow the group down. I get kicked at last boss.
    Second group, no one talks, nothing.
    Third group. get abused for low DPS and I was a noob.

Now, if I was a newer player, first time in a group with people and I get that kinda chat, would I want to keep playing? Or interact with anymore people?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I don't even have a main. I am an altaholic. If I had to play the game like vanilla where it took so long to level a toon that you could only play one toon, I would be really bored and not want to play. I would bet most people quit playing wow because of the time it takes. Even though its faster to level a toon, wow is still a major time sink. Why would you want to reset a toon back to level 1 when you could level another toon and have it do a different profession. You could do the same class again or something else.
    Sure, you might enjoy having loads of alts and you might prefer a fast leveling process. But do you ever group while leveling? Do you get that multiplayer feel a MMORPG should be all about?

There used to be a time where over 90% of the playerbase was leveling/running dungeons, and under 10% were raiding. Now it's the other way around. WoW used to be WORLD of Warcraft, with a side serving of raiding for those who enjoy it. Now WoW is all about raids, and leveling is a prerequisite for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
    Don't any of you guys miss your first days in WoW? When it took MONTHS to level up a character, when the game was WAY more than just raiding, when people actually formed groups outside of level cap.
    Nope that was shitty and annoying. Having all your friends raiding at 60 and knowing you had fucking MONTHS to grind stupid "kill 10 x"-quests. Leveling is not fun. It's tedious.
    Luckily those days are gone.

I'd support a separate realm (legacy/pristine/whatever) had worked like this, but would unsub in a second if something like this was introduced to the live game.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    This would be a fine suggestion if leveling were any fun.
    Leveling is not fun if you're focused on endgame or running it solo.

But if you're actualy playing with other players and remember that the game is more than just raids raids raids and maximizing your armor, then yeah it's a lot of fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, you might enjoy having loads of alts and you might prefer a fast leveling process. But do you ever group while leveling? Do you get that multiplayer feel a MMORPG should be all about?

There used to be a time where over 90% of the playerbase was leveling/running dungeons, and under 10% were raiding. Now it's the other way around. WoW used to be WORLD of Warcraft, with a side serving of raiding for those who enjoy it. Now WoW is all about raids, and leveling is a prerequisite for it.
    Nice made up stats.

As for the proposed idea, I don't see the point of leveling again. Sure, it happened to me at times to create another character just to level up a class I was already playing but it hardly ended up as a max level character. And I am one of those who do not raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    I was doing the 1 to 20 thing for hearthstone hero thingy. I used an alt account which had NOTHING. It was a fresh account, and when I entered a dungeon, I was told to leave coz I had no heirlooms and would slow the group down. I get kicked at last boss.
    Second group, no one talks, nothing.
    Third group. get abused for low DPS and I was a noob.

Now, if I was a newer player, first time in a group with people and I get that kinda chat, would I want to keep playing? Or interact with anymore people?
    You realize that those issues were created when Blizz decided to focus on endgame content? People now want to level up fast, they hate getting slowed down, they focus on their own business outside of raids.

Heirlooms means that you don't have to worry about gear at lower levels, just spam dungeons/quests and sell all that junk. Also someone in heirlooms will deal so much more damage than someone in quest items.

LFD removed any work and involvement that was required to form a group, so people are quick to kick/disband. People used to stick together and work together to finish an instance when they lacked those tools. It also means that players can remain completly silent through the whole queue/dungeon since all they need to do is press a button to chain dungeons one after the other, no need to whisper to other players anymore, which further killed some of that multiplayer involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Nice made up stats.
    Not really made up, i just remember that back in Classic and BC (and maybe even partway through WotLK) the actual amount of players playing at level cap was really low. And there were stats to back it up, i'm just not going to dig for them just to prove a point. It doesn't change the fact that WoW's playerbase switched massively to the endgame because Blizz put all their ressources into it
    Last edited by MisterSheep; 2016-05-08 at 06:21 AM.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, yeah sorry for the lack of clarification.

By Rebirth i mean that you select one of your character that is at level cap, that character is now level one, so you can quest and run dungeons at low level again. Keeping the same character and character slot, keeping your armor and other loot stored. And also maybe giving that character a bonus once it reaches level cap again (like increased drop rate or currencies)

Personally, anything that can create a stagnation of players at low level would be fine, that way leveling become meaningful again, players have a reason to group with other players again, and reaching level cap becomes a real accomplishment. Pristine Realms and/or a Rebirth system just seems like the best way to achieve this.

As i said i don't see what could go wrong with this. Players who prefer to raid are unaffected, and those who prefer playing with alts or leveling get to enjoy doing it with other players and have a meaningful experience.

Time for some late night dismantling!
    I'd rather see the world be scaled. I don't feel a lot of incentive to delevel my character.
    Or from your description, make an alt. That seems like the same thing.
    Also if the alt gets a buff, why play the main anymore? I'd just stick to the alt with the superior buffs. Overall that'd actually decrease playtime since my acquisition rates would be greater.

A system like this isn't necessary to facilitate grouping. Leveling is a thing that a smaller percentage of player time is spent. I suggest rethinking your idea for grouping in max level environments.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDracon View Post
    What is a rebirth system?

And Blizzard is never going to work on Classic realms. Ever. It's not going to happen.
    Wouldn't be so sure about that, if they are meeting with nostalrius team to talk and Mike Morhaime is meeting with Kern to talk about "Nostalrius Petition" then they atleast are considering it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinirlan View Post
    Wouldn't be so sure about that, if they are meeting with nostalrius team to talk and Mike Morhaime is meeting with Kern to talk about "Nostalrius Petition" then they atleast are considering it.
    I am rather leaning over classic realm licensing. I don't think Blizzard will directly create such a server. But I could see them work with Nost. to licence classic WoW to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    I suggest rethinking your idea for grouping in max level environments.
    Like Blizzard does? You realize that whenever a new expansion is released, or a new content patch, all their older content becomes obsolete? They literally focus on content to trash it a few months later.

By making leveling and older content meaningful and engaging again, they would multiply the amount of content the game has, adding a layer to it with each new content patch instead of just pushing it like dust under the carpet. Can you imagine the SHEER amount of content being wasted in WoW?

They just need to give an incentive to players to run those again, either through a rebirth system to revisit older zones, daily/weekly quests to run older dungeons/raids, scaling content, etc.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like Blizzard does?
    No, like whatever you think would work =P.

You realize that whenever a new expansion is released, or a new content patch, all their older content becomes obsolete? They literally focus on content to trash it a few months later.
    So would you want that to change, or do you want your system to be on top of this? IMO I don't see players clamoring to prestige their character for a loot buff.

By making leveling and older content meaningful and engaging again, they would multiply the amount of content the game has, adding a layer to it with each new content patch instead of just pushing it like dust under the carpet. Can you imagine the SHEER amount of content being wasted in WoW?
    No. I can clearly see it. I don't see how a prestige system of "zipping through leveling content again" as something effective or compelling for players. One of the links on my sig talks about an idea I had about scaling the world. Read or watch it.

They just need to give an incentive to players to run those again, either through a rebirth system to revisit older zones, daily/weekly quests to run older dungeons/raids, scaling content, etc.
    Ding ding ding =)...see, we're starting to squeeze ideas out! There *are* ways to make previous areas feel relevant again, and Legion touches on this through their artifact questlines. Again, I'm not fond of your idea of prestiging, but if you're dead set on that approach, I'd suggest looking more into what would drive players to do that to their mains as opposed to using those mains to *crush* older content for the purpose of obtaining transmog from older raids, dungeons, etc.
    Sorry if I was feeling abrasive, maybe it's late. I do like challenging ideas though.