Poll: Best timeperiod for WoW?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    Yeah. Because the guilds people geared and perhaps progressed with couldn't make it any further they left for guilds that fared better. Kind of a sad "survival of the fittest" scenario and I don't think anyone thinks it was healthy for the game.

Now, perhaps because of this the game moved from the Vanilla/TBC "whole expansion matters" style progress to the "everyone raids the latest content" style. And I personally find it rather tragic. It would have been so easy to prevent too, but I suppose hindsight is 20/20.
    Yeah. I think part of it for me is that those of us that were good enough to be in the higher-end guilds (and were recruited by them), but stayed with our friends/family out of loyalty were punished back in TBC, whereas in Wrath & beyond, we could still do everything that was out there with those we cared about, and what we couldn't get down with them, we can either do in LFR or PuG. So, now guilds have taken on the role of what they were actually meant for (in my opinion), just a place to hang out with those you enjoy hanging out with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    Yeah. I think part of it for me is that those of us that were good enough to be in the higher-end guilds (and were recruited by them), but stayed with our friends/family out of loyalty were punished back in TBC, whereas in Wrath & beyond, we could still do everything that was out there with those we cared about, and what we couldn't get down with them, we can either do in LFR or PuG. So, now guilds have taken on the role of what they were actually meant for (in my opinion), just a place to hang out with those you enjoy hanging out with.
    I was one of the assholes that left the guild I raided kara with to progress SSC. I kept an alt in that guild though, and it was fun to progress ZA with them once that came out. Still, since the only point of raiding for me is progression and I don't regret leaving with my main.

Where as in Wrath, where I raided much more casually with irl friends, we were wiping on Yogg-Saron when ToC came. That was pretty much the point when I decided that this game isn't for me anymore. Why would you want to kill this epic god of death when you can fool around in some shitty tournament that gives better loot. I was so looking forward to progressing trough the different hard modes of Yogg and perhaps seeing Algalon at some point. Certainly, one can argue that it's my own fault, I could have still kept progressing Ulduar while getting easier gear from ToC. I guess I just couldn't find enough like minded people.

One can also argue that I should enjoy the current system, since in it allows me to see all the content in time or whatever. It is hard to argue against this, I dunno, t'just feels off. Perhaps I should give it a fighting chance.

This whole thing didn't really have much to do with anything though, just felt like venting in my drunken haze.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    I was one of the assholes that left the guild I raided kara with to progress SSC. I kept an alt in that guild though, and it was fun to progress ZA with them once that came out. Still, since the only point of raiding for me is progression and I don't regret leaving with my main.

Where as in Wrath, where I raided much more casually with irl friends, we were wiping on Yogg-Saron when ToC came. That was pretty much the point when I decided that this game isn't for me anymore. Why would you want to kill this epic god of death when you can fool around in some shitty tournament that gives better loot. I was so looking forward to progressing trough the different hard modes of Yogg and perhaps seeing Algalon at some point. Certainly, one can argue that it's my own fault, I could have still kept progressing Ulduar while getting easier gear from ToC. I guess I just couldn't find enough like minded people.

One can also argue that I should enjoy the current system, since in it allows me to see all the content in time or whatever. It is hard to argue against this, I dunno, t'just feels off. Perhaps I should give it a fighting chance.

This whole thing didn't really have much to do with anything though, just felt like venting in my drunken haze.
    LOL! I can understand. I'm just perusing the forums & such while installing & playing with OS/2 in a VM.

I started within the first year of burning crusade in 2007. I think the greatest time for the game was 2007-2010 before Cataclysm dropped and snuffed out Old wow basically. Some argue Old wow died as early as wrath because thats when they expanded the Blizzard Store, added group finder, Rep grinds reduced to wearing a tabard and running 5 mans over and over + Introduction of Battle.net, Merger with Activision.

As soon as the 2 companies merged more services were being offered such as faction change.

Between 2007-2010 the game only grew in community size whilst Blizzard was still passionate about the game and 100% focused on a better experience for the players.

Then at some point a new wave reared its ugly head and its as if accountants and pencil pushers became the Leading minds on world of warcraft. They focus now on Maximizing short term profits, have disregarded subscriber count, expanded the store and services, releasing expansions with less content than ever before.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's either Wrath or MoP for me. Cata is a close third, though! Had the most fun playing the game during those periods. Honestly, it's hard to choose whether Wrath or MoP is better.

I dont know how anyone can expect Legion to be the best expansion. For me the last 3 have been mediocre. Wod set the bar so low its actually impossible for legion to be bad. They are adding class quests, spec specific weapons, end game quest content, pvp talents, making gear irrelevant in pvp. Things people have asked for, for so long not to mention the new transmog system.

Even if they have lackluster end game content again and only release 1-2 content patches it will be a better expansion than WOD. The skeptics are just freaking over the mission table shit and pruning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    Yeah, I agree as well.

I was quite new then, started in '07 and I felt it too. I didn't really understand what I felt back then but the game did get a lot more boring once it came out.

Now I know why, it was simply because everything else lost its value almost entirely. And all that mattered onwards, was MGT hc loot and some off-pieces from other raids to quickly further progress you into higher level raids.

I was in Kara, Maggy, Gruul, ZA most of my time back then and I loved those raids. But as a newbie, I wasn't really the best player or even very useful but even for me, those raids suddenly turned into the category of wasting my time as well...

Never saw Sunwell until later in Wrath. I enjoyed Wrath thoroughly but the more I think about it, I was really immersed and into the game during the start in BC.
    I was pretty average/casual back then so I never finished the top tier content either, but enjoyed it cause it was challenging, new and felt rewarding each week even if i wasn't raiding the absolute hardest stuff. It was good at all levels.

I'm still casual today, even more so - and it's a joke. Nothing is worth doing except for mythic HFC. Everything is a literal zerg fest of just cheesy gameplay. Every single reward is pointless, and in WoD this is not recent - only 8 months after launch in July 2015 it happened. ridiculous
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    What...? I joined in late Vanilla and I voted for Wrath.
    So this entirely proves my points is mute... Where's your proof btw?

And what i was saying was that 'THE MAJORITY' of people started in Wrath, not Everyone... Derp

Best timeperiod for me was when I started. Was just after 3.3 hit. Had fun and made some online friends most of which I play other stuff now with them as well. Cata would be next because it was my first xpac so I was really hyped and looking forward to it which I ended up doing. Unpopular opinion here but I enjoyed Dragon Soul and Vashj'ir. Oh and MoP as well because I never seemed to run out of things to do during that xpac. Watched gameplay videos of Vanilla and BC and just didn't pique my interest yet I'm all for legacy servers for those whom want it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-05-08 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Looks like you sure took the high road. Cries about hatred/trolling towards people who agree with his view point then does exactly what he cries about other people doing to his "approved players". As big of a billy bad ass as you wanna try to be let's not forget that Vanilla WoW was considered the MMO for the mentally challenged babies who couldn't hack it in a real MMO. And 90% of vanilla wasn't hard, it was tedious. Difference.
    I wrote a very logical response and then wiped it because i realized that if you could not come to that conclusion by yourself, then explaining it to you would just make you think it was a point to be argued again.

Quoting your 'quote'.

"Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamoured of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."

Do you even understand what this quote implies?
    Because if you did, you'd have understood my point and been somewhat able to reason with it even if you didn't agree.

You gotta be American because only American's quote things they don't understand. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Cleavestorm View Post
    Objectively speaking MoP was much worse than WoD in terms of content.
    Lmfao, no. Delusion at it's finest.

5.0 = dailies yes, and those dailies had people out in the world doing stuff, Tiller's was also added this patch. The OPPOSITE of Dailies = what we got in WoD, meaning fill-the-bar and grind mob objectives...
    5.1 = Krasarang Wilds, which again had people out in the world doing stuff and also sparked tons of WPVP on my then server.
    5.2 = Isle of Thunder, again having people out in the world doing stuff and to many the best patch in the history of the game.
    5.3 = Battlefield Barrens which, although weak in terms of rehashed settings, had tons of people out in the world doing stuff.
    5.4 = Siege of Orgrimmar, with Timeless Isle keeping people busy along with all the rest of the content added throughout the expansion. There's a reason for why 14 months of SoO had such staying power.

Add to that the other content added in Mists, with Challenge Modes, LFR that wasn't a joke, amazing raids, Scenarios, Proving Grounds, Brawler's Guild, Pet Battles...yeah, claiming that MoP had objectively less content than WoD, is fucking retarded. You may not have LIKED the content personally for whatever reason, but millions of people sure as fuck did.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-05-08 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wipeer View Post
    WoD has had the best raiding
    Hahahahahahahaha, ahhhhhhhhhh? Wait seriously? 4 tiers of 3 raids, okay.

Meanwhile Wrath is there with 9 Different raids.
    BC has 8
    Classic Had 6 (Naxx included)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/zone/#expansion=0

Going off that which expansion would you say was the most expensive to purchase?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faylum1 View Post
    So this entirely proves my points is mute... Where's your proof btw?

And what i was saying was that 'THE MAJORITY' of people started in Wrath, not Everyone... Derp
    The 10 Million people at the end of BC and 12 at the end of Wotlk tend to disagree that "The majority" started in wrath

Personally it's Vanilla, everything was entertaining and fresh.

Objectively it's probably WoD. Everything but lack of PvE content is of very high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeZed View Post

Meanwhile Wrath is there with 9 Different raids.
    BC has 8
    Classic Had 6 (Naxx included)
    Except it's all about tiers, not individual raids. Vanilla had 4 (MC, BWL, AQ, Naxx) and only 3 of them available for most of the playerbase. BC had 4 (Initial Kara+Gruul+Maggi, SSC+TK, BT+Hyjal, SWP). Wrath 4 (Naxx, Ulduar, ToC, ICC). Then we've seen drop to 3 per xpac: Cata (BWD+BoT+TotFW), MoP (HoF+MV+ToES, ToT, SOO), WoD (HM, BRF, HFC). It's not than much of a difference.
    Last edited by Wingerie; 2016-05-08 at 03:12 PM.

Quality over quantity in this case, and raiding has been one of few redeeming qualities of WoD thanks to boss mechanics. HFC Mythic saw the most wipes of any raid for the BEST players in the world. Tons still can't progress past Mythic Gorefiend.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-05-08 at 03:09 PM.

This poll is just stupid, just look at the subscription trend, that is the only accuret way to see what expantions (including vanilla) that people liked. Becouse you can't vote if you have NOT played them all, it can't be accuret in any way then.

So the true prime times of world of warcraft is Vanilla, TBC, WOTLK, +Cata(but only Firelands) after Firelands everything went to shit in my opinion.

Sub Trend: http://i.imgur.com/3pVGRAe.jpg
    Last edited by Guruftw; 2016-05-08 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoTLK > MoP for my top 2

The 10 Million people at the end of BC and 12 at the end of Wotlk tend to disagree that "The majority" started in wrath
    Le sigh.

The Majority... of the Vanilla and TBC players don't play wow any more. The good majority of players who still play are Cata - Mop babies. However on MMO champion its fairly obvious if you read enough threads is that people started at the end of tbc or early Wrath. Their fondest memories are wrath and lately the bandwagon idea is that WoW was best at its pinnacle of subs aka wrath. Go anywhere and all you find is people saying how great wrath was and then you ask them did they play vanilla or tbc and they say they didnt. Wrath pride is strong in the herd of today.
    Do i honestly care what 200-300 people might vote for? No because 5 million opinions have no value over my 1. However if you are trying to see which expansion is the best, ask this same question elsewhere because like i said majority of people who use mmo champ are wrath babies.

Also food for thought:

If wow made 10 million subs in vanilla and tbc, then made 12 million in wrath, does this sub number prove wrath was best?
    Well how could it when there is only an incline of 2 million for one expansion.
    Last edited by Faylum1; 2016-05-08 at 06:51 PM.

Vanilla - nothing is great about it, except nostalgia
    TBC - dungeons
    WotLK - Ulduar
    Cata - leveling
    MoP - ehm, pandas?
    WoD - nothing is great about it
    Legion - will see

I would probably only say wotlk because DK's didn't suck at the end of the expansion...and that's the only reason. As an expansion for content I would probably say TBC because I had a ton of fun and there was lots to do outside of raids. However, I can't play the way I used to so I think the game has gotten better with that in mind as their consumer base has gotten older and has less time. While yes it's a casualization...who cares if some shithead you don't know gets the most recent tier...if you don't suck you'll have Mythic tier which looks better than normal tier in most cases.

Deleted
    From Vanilla till end of TBC, second would be Ulduar times and third 1st month of Cata.