Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is success measured in d3?

As in topic how is success measured in d3? what fuels you to grind or farm?

I want to know if this is a thing for me or not.

there is no this such as success in a game.

If by success you mean gering up a character and progressing with it, there's plenty of it, though it's repetitive for sure. Seasons combat that giving you a fresh start every 3 months and the journey that isn't difficult but makes you do various things around the world.

If by success you mean leaderboards, expect to play 24/7 in the most optimal way or you're out. Simple as there - no way to keep the pace with people playing like that.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I mean in d2 it was 2/3 ways to define success:

1) by leveling up to 99
    2) by having the best gear possible
    2.5) by being rich it terms of items owned.

what is the equivalent in d3?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post

1) by leveling up to 99

Same thing, but you can guage your progress by completing greater rifts at the highest difficult possible.

Deleted
    If you have fun playing the game, you're successful. It's not rocket surgery.

I play D3 solo, so I don't care about "success" - i play until I don't feel like playing anymore. That's why I love the game. I hit 70 Friday night. Now I'm dabbling in rifts and bounties, I don't care about leader boards or group builds or having ancient everything. I'm more interested in the cosmetic items, to be honest - I got one of the pets last night, the crab one, and it was more fun and satisfying than any gear drop I've ever had. (Although a Furnace dropping would be nice. I've never had one. Everyone has one. I don't. ) (And don't tell me where to go farm or to farm for shards. I don't farm anymore, farming is not fun nor interesting.)

If I get that old WoW "gotta log on and grind" feeling, I just don't play. I have plenty of other things to do, other hobbies. I'm done with "job" like games. All I want is entertainment for a couple of hours.

For your success? That's up to you to decide, to be honest. And it's of no concern to me - what you do in Sanctuary has no effect on me at all, as it should be.

1) by leveling up to 99

That wasn't success. It was just gameplay time and trading, coped with a nice amount of luck.

If you put it on this kind of activities, farm as much paragon as possible (it's not capped) and get the highest GR possible.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

"Does my Witch Doctor's mojo look like a kitten (Y/N)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I play with my husband to blow off steam. We just enjoy farming to see how high we can get damage so we can see how much farther we can get on difficulty. This season we've surpassed our regular characters and I'm thinking instead of starting over again I may just stick with my current season DH after the season ends. I like where I have it so I'm just going to keep working on this character I think.

by the amount of fun im having + pushing grifts. They dont have to be both at the same time. I was using helltooth with grasp of the dead for grift 70, and now i changed to ful gargantuan helltooth, and although i did 73 easily right after changing the build, I found it ABSURDLY boring, so I started playing my barb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Diablo 3 has no max level (paragon doesn't seem to have a cap), it doesn't have max gear (even perfectly rolled ancients can get buffed infinitely with caldesan). just do higher Grifts to get higher level gems and spend them for boosting your ancients, and then do it again

And there is also ofc season. Which is a reset so you can all do it again and just compete to see who gets at the highest level.
    Well after P800 it does kinda become irrelevant. So if you are just looking for "success" that would be an okay stopping point.
    The rest I agree on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    there is no this such as success in a game.

If by success you mean gering up a character and progressing with it, there's plenty of it, though it's repetitive for sure. Seasons combat that giving you a fresh start every 3 months and the journey that isn't difficult but makes you do various things around the world.

If by success you mean leaderboards, expect to play 24/7 in the most optimal way or you're out. Simple as there - no way to keep the pace with people playing like that.
    This.

The sad part about the leaderboards in a game like Diablo 3 is they often don't reflect skill, like a leaderboard should in terms of being competitive. The leaderboards directly reflect time played. This is kind of why botters have the distinct advantage, farming keys and mats overnight for unlimited GR fishing and crafting. So there's an illusion of "success" on the leaderboards, but in reality they don't really mean much ( or as much as they should ).

Personally I feel success in the game comes in greater rifts, not necessarily landing a sweet spot on the leaderboards but in pushing your personal limits. Gearing your character in a way that allows you to push that extra level onto your personal best. I wouldn't waste much time comparing your spot to others on the leaderboard as chances are they have 10-15 hours a day to play!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzel View Post
    Well after P800 it does kinda become irrelevant. So if you are just looking for "success" that would be an okay stopping point.
    The rest I agree on.
    Except it doesn't. Beyond 800 you still get base stat, which is why people are farming 2k+

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    It's a "game" by definition it is something you do "for fun" so playing a game would be successful so long as you are "having fun".
    There are people that their fun is being competitive. Even in games.

Please introduce SOJ currency.

1) by leveling up to 99

Success in D2 is also defined by how quickly you can speedrun the game.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

And P.S. if you levelled to 99 in D2 (at least, post 1.09 or whenever it was), you weren't successful so much as masochistic :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    This.

The sad part about the leaderboards in a game like Diablo 3 is they often don't reflect skill, like a leaderboard should in terms of being competitive. The leaderboards directly reflect time played. This is kind of why botters have the distinct advantage, farming keys and mats overnight for unlimited GR fishing and crafting. So there's an illusion of "success" on the leaderboards, but in reality they don't really mean much ( or as much as they should ).

Personally I feel success in the game comes in greater rifts, not necessarily landing a sweet spot on the leaderboards but in pushing your personal limits. Gearing your character in a way that allows you to push that extra level onto your personal best. I wouldn't waste much time comparing your spot to others on the leaderboard as chances are they have 10-15 hours a day to play!
    It's kinda funny though, because the leaderboards also help Blizzard distinguish bots from real players. Every season the entire leaderboards are purged from up to several big waves of bans to bots.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    It's kinda funny though, because the leaderboards also help Blizzard distinguish bots from real players. Every season the entire leaderboards are purged from up to several big waves of bans to bots.
    Except the only ban wave to hit the leaderboards was last season. Season 4 ban wave was only for Hellfire Exploit like 3 weeks into season.

Season 1 had a couple bans at the end, but there was no waves until Season 5.

They also don't need leaderboards to see bots. Bots is pretty obvious via playtime and watching accounts play who have literally impossible play time.

I can tell you they didn't care until S5 since me and 3 other friends all botted 4s with our own accounts each all 5 seasons until the bans. Many other friends and who botted on their accounts and never banned until S5. Plenty of us were top 20 for multiple classes we had geared.

Now look at us we are 1500 paragon and 10th group in 4s because its actually fun to play the game when everyone else at the top isn't botting and now we can enjoy the game more than just afk all season and play last few days.
    Last edited by Jellospally; 2016-05-17 at 06:19 AM.

Did you have fun playing it?

If yes, then success!

That's how success is measured in any video game. Having a blast is what matters. If you're not having a blast, something is wrong and you should consider a change in behavior. I'm kind of over this whole 'gotta be the best of the best of the best of the best or GTFO' mentality. I don't imagine the 1st place player on the leader board is having a very good time when he's playing. Probably stressed as fuck and hating the pressure.

TBH, that's any competitive online game. It's even worse in games that have artificial gating because then there's a demand for ways to circumvent that gating.