Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 7 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    i bought a 970 a month ago, i feel like shit right now and using some shitty conversions, the 1070 is cheaper than what i payed for the 970 :V
    That's why I always tell people to wait for new GPU's to be released. At the very least old stock would drop in price.

im happy these are being released now, so when i go for my new comp build come august during the labor day sales, i get to see all the benchmarks, decide what i want to buy and go with that, it will be a sweet time for upgrading to 4k so im happy for this. maybe they will have the 1080ti's out by then or close so i can just wait but if not ill grab a pair of 1080s and go from their. now we just need intel to release the new cpus coming out in time lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Would the 1070 be a big upgrade from a 970?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    You, and all the other people looking at upgrading from the 900-series.. I seriously don't understand you people. Yes, its new and shiny.
    But do you need it? Especially the people that RECENTLY bought cards and are now drooling over the new cards.

It's been known new cards would appear around this or the next month since early february.
    And anyone with the slighest knowledge of building computers could've told you so long before 2016.

Some people need to inform themselves better on what they are buying, for real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    You, and all the other people looking at upgrading from the 900-series.. I seriously don't understand you people. Yes, its new and shiny.
    But do you need it? Especially the people that RECENTLY bought cards and are now drooling over the new cards.

It's been known new cards would appear around this or the next month since early february.
    Some people need to inform themselves better on what they are buying for real.
    That was not the question he asked.

To answer, yes, it would be quite an upgrade. It depend on your budget, of course, but it would be rather sizable in term of performances.

EDIT: Of course we're still waiting for more precisions, but overall it would be only a little bit under the Titan X in term of perf. Yes, you've read right, while the 1080 would be stronger. Of course, that's according to nVidia - we'll see through benchmark later if its true. Still, can't wait to see their 1080 Ti.
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2016-05-08 at 04:48 PM.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

I think it would be a sizeable upgrade, the question is do you need it? From your sig I gather you have a 1080 monitor and a 970 should be plenty for that unless you are having issues with games?

I have been thinking of getting a 9xx series of card but decided to stick to my regular 780 until pascal, and since I can't play wow on 1440 on my 780 without crashing due to heat issues, I can kind of justify getting an upgrade, for 9xx series of card users I would advise to skip a generation unless you need the performance (like going from a 960 to a 1080 cuz you bought a 4k monitor or something along those lines).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    That was not the question he asked.
    Good. I had no intention of answering it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. I had no intention of answering it.
    I saw that, hence why I did. Being helpful isn't that hard, really.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    I saw that, hence why I did. Being helpful isn't that hard, really.
    I'm helping people not waste money, or at least trying. Doesn't seem to be very effective though.

Deleted
    I build my new pc this year... and it has 5 yo gpu... I waited so long.

I really hope 10th series will be good we need this jump already, market is stale. AMD must also step up because if 1080 will be like 2x titan and no response from amd, nvidia will take all. I don't like this vision of total control by 1 company, it never goes well for customers.
    If demanding games will reach like 200 fps in 1080p then 4k is getting very possible to sit at stable 60.

I'm helping people not waste money, or at least trying. Doesn't seem to be very effective though.
    Wasting money is a matter of opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it would be a huge upgrade to it. But with that said I wouldn't unless you really need it.

Personally I am going to avoid new gen cards and just upgrade slowly as prices drop unless the price gap is super small. For me personally at 1080p the GTX 970 is just fine.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So do you guys have a guess on how hard the GTX 970 price will drop? Never SLIed a card before and if it drops hard enough I mite get a 2nd one just to do it.
    The aftermarket is in a full on fire sale (as it always is after new GPU reveals). I see multiple 970s for sub-$100 on ebay.

Your advice does the opposite actually.

The maximum value for graphics cards (well, maybe just nvidia cards) is to always buy the model you want the moment it's available. The price will never drop enough to make up for the fact that you missed out on having the card for so long.

Waiting 6-12 months for a 15% or even 20% price decrease is ridiculous from any economic standpoint.

The only saving grace would be some kind of coup by Polaris driving down nvidia cards in short order, but that seems... fairly unlikely.

1070 is at or above a Titan X in performance. That places it at ~50% higher performance over the 970.
    Last edited by Aberrict; 2016-05-08 at 11:44 PM.

1070 is at or above a Titan X in performance. That places it at ~50% higher performance over the 970.
    ^ this

but 970 can still play most games @ 1080p @ 60 fps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    Your advice does the opposite actually.

The maximum value for graphics cards (well, maybe just nvidia cards) is to always buy the model you want the moment it's available. The price will never drop enough to make up for the fact that you missed out on having the card for so long.

Waiting 6-12 months for a 15% or even 20% price decrease is ridiculous from any economic standpoint.

The only saving grace would be some kind of coup by Polaris driving down nvidia cards in short order, but that seems... fairly unlikely.
    Hence I am telling people to wait for the release of new cards and not buy old ones toward the end of the year; and especially not in the early months of the new year?

Work on your reading comprehension man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Wasting money is a matter of opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it would be a huge upgrade to it. But with that said I wouldn't unless you really need it.

Personally I am going to avoid new gen cards and just upgrade slowly as prices drop unless the price gap is super small. For me personally at 1080p the GTX 970 is just fine.
    If you bought a 900-series card in December or later and are now considering dumping said card for this I'd say thats pretty much like throwing money over the balcony.

I'm still using a 600-series card and I never considered upgrading before this announcement an option.
    Because that would be a stupid move on my part.

Hence I am telling people to wait for the release of new cards and not buy old ones toward the end of the year; and especially not in the early months of the new year?

Work on your reading comprehension man.
    That's not what you wrote and Master Guns, the poster you were replying to, didn't say he recently purchased a 970.

You commented about how you didn't understand why people with a Maxwell card wanted to upgrade to Pascal.
    The answer is, as it is with all luxury purchases, because I want it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    The 1080 is literally the best graphics card (according to their charts) that will be on the market. That's called 'High end', also known as 'Bleeding edge', for what it is, which is a card that can match or beat another card currently listed at near a $1000, that's cheap. Want less? They're putting out the 1070, which is still better than their former beasts for less than what a 980 sells for now.
    Then they will release a 1080 Ti which will be the high end card.

15+ Year Old Account

And anyone with the slighest knowledge of building computers could've told you so long before 2016.

Some people need to inform themselves better on what they are buying, for real.
    You're an idiot. Like really, you're an idiot. And a pompous one at that.

1) I don't maintain 60 FPS at all times in quite a few games at 1080p on Ultra. I am a heavy modder and I guarantee you my Skyrim mods would rock even the most solid of builds. I routinely hover around 30-35 FPS with my 970. Your fucking point, again?

2) I plan on upgrading to 1440 soon. Another reason for an upgrade.

I'll repeat: my God, you're an idiot.

Infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2016-05-09 at 05:39 AM.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Then they will release a 1080 Ti which will be the high end card.
    They'll release a founder's edition Titan first to make people pay $1000~1300 for a graphic's card. Then cut-down GP100 slightly and make a 1080Ti.

Be careful when parroting nvidia claims. All these claims of better performance than a titanx are based off VR benchmarks of very selective games.

The performance of the 970/980 in VR is nothing to brag about, which is why nvidia are using those comparisons. They simply display the best performance increase they can find.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what you wrote and Master Guns, the poster you were replying to, didn't say he recently purchased a 970.

You commented about how you didn't understand why people with a Maxwell card wanted to upgrade to Pascal.

The answer is, as it is with all luxury purchases, because I want it.
    It's both a stupid thing to do. But if you really want to throw that money away at least this generation seems to OC well enough to somewhat warrant the "upgrade".

My point is that you could've prevented needing to spend money twice by just not buying a 900-series, and waited for 1000-series instead.
    Like I said before, I'm running a 600-series with 1/4th the computing power of the new high end card. Very consciously waited and skipped 700/900-series cards for a decent enough upgrade.
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2016-05-09 at 04:32 AM.