Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I tend to think more on why people let their minds be captured, and attach such mindless significance to a piece of coloured cloth.
    its taking a while but people are slowly starting to learn that love is bullshit and you need to victimize other humans as far as it can profit you because fuck 'em, that's why.

Its all a battlefield and the only people who are losing are dumbasses who trusted in anything nice, lol fucking fucktards.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "A flag is a symbol, and I leave symbols to the symbol-minded" - George Carlin

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    How about burning a giant cross is that ok also?. Assuming that the cross burners purchased the cross and own it of course.
    Of course it's ok.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    If someone is burning a flag, they're telling you how they feel about the country or organisation it represents. If that makes you feel bad, well it's probably supposed to.

Flags are really just silly pageantry, a relic of centuries-old nationalism.

It's been repeatedly defended by the Supreme Court as a legitimate exercise of the First Amendment, and all attempts to jam a flag desecration act into the Constitution have been voted down.

- - - Updated - - -

They're disrespecting a piece of cloth with a drawing on it. You're disrespecting the First Amendment. I think you guys should be the ones on the boat out of America, since you are only interested in its symbols, and not what they stand for.
    I would be disrespecting it if I said they shouldn't be allowed to do it, which I did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    "A flag is a symbol, and I leave symbols to the symbol-minded" - George Carlin

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it's ok.
    I hate George carlin, I literally hate the guy with a passion. I hated robin williams also for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    For people that have stepped out of their safe space and done real things to protect the sovereignty of a nation, or other nations for that matter, flags do mean something fairly significant. People stomp and burn them to insult that meaning and make an often misguided point.

I guess your points make sense to people who live in a fantasy land where the the world is a borderless utopia without honor or history.
    And if those people weren't fighting to defend liberties like the First Amendment, what the fuck were they fighting for?

Oh yeah, a paycheck and maybe blind nationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Do explain how I'm "disrespecting the first amendment" when I'm not demanding these people be arrested, fined etc. for that very reason. I simply think that if a person hates the country so much then they should go find a better place to live since we're clearly so horrible in their view.
    You want them to leave the country for disrespecting a flag.

Why don't you leave the country if the First Amendment bothers you so much? That's a lot more important to America than a dopey piece of cloth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I would be disrespecting it if I said they shouldn't be allowed to do it, which I did not.
    You want them to lose their citizenship for burning a flag?

I'm saying you should lose your citizenship for valuing a rag higher than the First Amendment.

You know, the liberties that flag represents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I am not American, I find burning of any flags to be juvenile. Nothing screams "PAY ATTENTION TO ME I'M AN ATTENTION WHORE" like burning Yours or another countries flag.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if those people weren't fighting to defend liberties like the First Amendment, what the fuck were they fighting for?

Why don't you leave the country if the First Amendment bothers you so much? That's a lot more important to America than a dopey piece of cloth.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm saying you should lose your citizenship for valuing a rag higher than the First Amendment.

By burning the flag you are basically attacking what it stands for, so it would be most logical to leave the country if you hate it to that extent.

Freedom of speech. I'd burn their flag, too, but I don't know what it looks like. Plus they have to heat their houses somehow after we bombed all their utilities into dust. I'm ok with it. In fact IDGAF... I think it adds character to the flag. Honestly if they have nothing better to do than hold a flag burning rally I suppose I feel sorry for them. 99.9% of this post was sarcasm but w/e it's hard to convey on the interwebs.

By burning the flag you are basically attacking what it stands for, so it would be most logical to leave the country if you hate it to that extent.
    No you aren't. People burn flags for a number of reasons, this may be because they hate the nation in question and its present actions and policies, or because they are passionate citizens who are disaffected by the leadership of their country and trying to draw attention to it.

The only people who hate what the flag stands for are those who object to its burning, the right to do so it represents (among other things).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I would kick flag burners out of the country, every last one of them, and their families also for raising such scum. What I would actually do is put them in the worst place on earth, penniless, and give them a map of a phone that is 100 miles away. I would tell them if you reach this phone within 1 week and call before the week is up to beg forgiveness, we will accept you back.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2016-05-09 at 06:41 AM.

Yeah I would kick flag burners out of the country, every last one of them, and their families also for raising such scum.
    I love America's flag but hate the values it stands for!

-Conservatives

I love America's flag but hate the values it stands for!

-Conservatives
    Well you don't like hate speech do you?, I mean you don't really want freedom of speech, you just want your version of freedom of speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you aren't. People burn flags for a number of reasons, this may be because they hate the nation in question and its present actions and policies, or because they are passionate citizens who are disaffected by the leadership of their country and trying to draw attention to it.

The only people who hate what the flag stands for are those who object to its burning, the right to do so it represents (among other things).
    The flag transcends the current political leadership, it is the symbol for the state itself as an entity. By burning it you are, whether you intended to or not, attacking the institution. Therefore it is logical to see it as renouncing one's citizenship.

That's another problem in your logic. You think whatever people intended trumps what their actions actually represent. I can't go bulldoze the MLK Monument in DC because I have a problem with granite sculptures. In the end, I destroyed something that has great meaning to people.
    Nobody can stop you from building a replica of the MLK monument and bulldozing it.

Just like nobody can stop you from burning a flag you bought. You realise you can't use the First Amendment to burn the flag outside your neighbour's house, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post

How do you feel about people who burn the american flag?
    i dont feel anything - but im also not surprised - most of americans live in complete utopia and dont realise that over half of the orld see US as nothing but world's biggest terorist country which started dozens of wars in last 50 years just for oil and $.

The flag transcends the current political leadership, it is the symbol for the state itself as an entity. By burning it you are, whether you intended to or not, attacking the institution. Therefore it is logical to see it as renouncing one's citizenship.
    You have every right to live in this country despite hating it.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    If you hate it so much then please leave the country.
    Or they could, you know, make political demonstrations and try to change the messed up politics. The options for disliking the current state of your country aren't just "leave or stfu"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Well you don't like hate speech do you?, I mean you don't really want freedom of speech, you just want your version of freedom of speech.
    Nice tu quoque, but no I don't advocate for hate speech laws. Back to you.

What values are you under the impression the flag stands for that are solely aligned with a particular political persuasion? Do you know the political mindset of most people who serve (overwhelmingly I might add)?
    You really need me to spell it out again? The flag stands for the United States, its Constitution, its Bill of Rights, and so forth - yes? Including the First Amendment, one America is pretty proud of? The First Amendment that the SCOTUS has repeatedly found to protect political expression like flag burning?

- - - Updated - - -

Again, I have no problem with people burning an American flag as far as criminal or civil law goes. I have a problem with it as a member of a community and how I feel public opinion should treat them.

And I'm sure people would still be pretty offended by me building an MLK monument in my backyard and subsequently destroying it; especially if I draw a crowd and put it on youtube as these fine young people have.
    I'd definitely laugh at you for going to all that effort to show people you're a racist. Surely there's easier ways.

You know, maybe those people burning your flag actually care deeply about America, enough to express disgust at the way it's being treated by its government. Maybe they're actually a lot more patriotic than you.

Deleted
    What I can't stand in this video and in the world is people going on about what was in the past and blaming this generation for what other generations did. I didn't choose for slavery and genocide, yet I get frowned upon.

I haven't once argued against the first amendment. People can burn any flag they want as long as they aren't starting other fires that destroy real property. I think they should face severe public backlash from the result of burning the flag of the country in which they enjoy the benefits of living - up to and including losing their livelihood. I thought liberals knew this distinction? Do you need me to draw out real-life examples of where free speech was protected but people had their lives ruined in the process at the hands of leftists leading a public outcry?

I think you know better.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not racist and I have no intention of bulldozing an MLK monument. I was hoping that drawing a parallel example of a symbol that is universally important would make more sense for you. You just decided to graze over it with absurdity.

Burning a symbol of the sovereignty of a country in which you have reaped the benefits of it's many protections against the outside world is not a deeply caring expression. It's a childish and misguided stunt, no matter your ignorant intentions. Repercussions at the hands of society are just.
    What utter nonsense, protesting against the current state of a country is not a rejection of everything it stands for. It's a rejection of its current state. Domestic protesters want a country to DO BETTER. If it wasn't for passionate protesters the country wouldn't have half those benefits in the first place.

What the fuck were the Founding Fathers if not protesters?