Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    He's far, far too powerful for his role. I've watched him in his killcam's and Play of the Games basically just swirving from target to target getting kills in barely two seconds while being far apart from each other.
    Why would you run into a room with a turret aimed down the corridor that you're entering from?
    If you have issues with a Basion, send in a Genji, or swarm it with an Reinhardt so you get to free-fire on them for a few seconds (which will kill the Bastion, if your aim isn't atrocious).
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

I don'T think one Bastion is a problem. But several are. They can completly lock down chokepoints, of which the game has many. Same goes for Torbjorns turrets. And on the maps with moving platforms (Volskaya and Rout 66, I think), they become even more bothersome, where torb can set his turret up without being hit from complete safety.

It's not unmanagable, it's just frustrating. Same goes for double rheinhardt riding cargo on which bastion and torbjorn are deployed, shielding them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I do understand that.
    I am not sure you understand how the human mind works.

Are you again trying to explain how one should counter Bastion?
    For christ sake, isn't it clear that people know that already?
    So let's try it again: People know how to counter Bastion!

We've had quite a few posts where people were incredulous that he could be effectively countered like any other hero. Pretending otherwise is a bit silly.

The problem is that to fight a good <insert any hero> I need to pick a counter and slightly increase my play.
    But to counter a newbie Bastion you have to pick a counter and double your play.
    That's the issue with Bastion: "Zero effort, maximum reward!"
    You haven't established this. Plenty of people, including myself, deny that this is remotely true. A "newbie" Bastion probably doesn't know where to set up to get a good vantage with reasonable flank protection. You haven't made your case that any of this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I do understand that.
    I am not sure you understand how the human mind works.

Are you again trying to explain how one should counter Bastion?
    For christ sake, isn't it clear that people know that already?
    So let's try it again: People know how to counter Bastion!

The problem is that to fight a good <insert any hero> I need to pick a counter and slightly increase my play.
    But to counter a newbie Bastion you have to pick a counter and double your play.
    That's the issue with Bastion: "Zero effort, maximum reward!"
    I'm gonna let you in on a little secret to kill Bastion without increasing your play. In fact, you will actually be able to dumb down your play.
    Bastions HATE him, how one housewife killed the turret with one simple trick!

Just fucking grab him with Roadhog, it's not hard. Just walk up, press shift, he dies. A turreted Bastion is L I T E R A L L Y the easiest Roadhog kill in the game other than a Junkrat who's controlling the tire.
    If you don't feel comfortable with Roadhog because you think you are "too nooby" (whatever that means, this game is piss easy), just ask your team if anyone can switch to Roadhog.

Deleted
    Just my 2 cents:

I started playing Overwatch a fair bit today. Was playing a few character, and just got beat a lot by Bastion.
    As a new player, it is frustrating, but it just feels like when you started SC2 and you get 6 Pooled, or Warp Gate rushed.
    It's the kind of way to play which is really easy to beat when you become more experienced, but for lots of newer players all mixed together, the one who players Bastion has more chance of coming out on top. Kind of like, easy to play (to that standard), harder to counter for newbies.

So, frustrating; yes.
    OP? I guess it remains to be seen, but probably not.

I think some spammerino from Kripp Twitch chat is perfect in this instance.

☑ “This guy's Bastion is CRAZY!” ☑ “My Hero can't win against a hero like that” ☑ "He NEEDED precisely that hero to win" ☑ “He topdecked the only hero that could beat me” ☑ "He had the sexiest skin" ☑ “There was nothing I could do” ☑ “I played that perfectly" BabyRage PJSalt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Why would you run into a room with a turret aimed down the corridor that you're entering from?
    I got bottlenecked in my spawning point a few times by exactly this issue. Bastion could use a rework. My opinion: there should be a bigger downtime when he swaps forms.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I got bottlenecked in my spawning point a few times by exactly this issue. Bastion could use a rework. My opinion: there should be a bigger downtime when he swaps forms.
    The only nerf I could think of for Bastion would be removing the self heal from turret form so he has to return to regular form to E. Even that is a stretch though, because I think he is perfectly fine as-is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Junkrat, Hanzo, peaking Pharah, Widow, teleporting Reaper, Symmetra orbs, 76 right clicks, getting full energy off him and then lobbing grenades with Zarya...pick your poison. There are plenty of counters. Yeah, he can be a bitch in quick play but they can't nerf heroes around open beta noobs, lol. Just be the guy that shuts him down. If he's behind Reinhardt just remember that Symmetra orbs go through shields and players and do crazy damage so he'll constantly have to move unless he wants to die in 2 seconds. Same applies to Torb turrets.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I posted about that above. Bastion was used in 4 out of the 8 Grand Final matches as far as I can tell, which was a far higher rate of usage than several other characters. Which is why I keep saying that all the, "Bastion is weak and dumb and can't even move and only kills noobs" stuff is just as silly as all the "Bastion is OP and unbeatable!" stuff.
    I don't think anyone seriously claimed that "Bastion is unbeatable" - at least not without mentiong Mercy/Reinhardt and maybe Torb. At that point it's more about map design and chokepoints of deaths which promote such behaviour, rather than merely characters who abuse it.

On the other hand, some people do go out of their way to point out just how terrible you have to be to die to him. Considering that most characters die in less than a second to his turret mode and Widowmaker ultimate doesn't have 100% uptime, you'd think that they'd get killed every once in a while simply by walking into his line of fire after he switched positions.

Nope, never happens. They know his location at all times and he's immediately countered in dozens of different ways, with zero risk and effort. Supposedly only noobs die to him. Lots of epeen flexing around. The idea that he was actually used by pros is unthinkable and probably the sole reason they lost - even if they didn't.

And even ignoring all that - keeping a "noob stomper" character(s) around while trying to make your game appealing to casual players... probably not a good idea. I'm sure people also complain about Hanzo's dragon ripping whole team apart, but at least that's an ultimate with huge warning signs. With Bastion, it's just his normal gameplay.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2016-05-09 at 03:59 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Why increase the downtime, though? That doesn't seem to alleviate the issues you have with Bastion (which is the very high DPS in turret-form). It's a bit like saying Torbjorn's turret is too powerful, better reduce the armor given by his armor packs.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Why increase the downtime, though?
    To further emphasize his weakness (lack of mobility) plus increase the effective cost of setting up by making you a vulnerable target.

Everyone complaining about Bastion has obviously never tried to play as him.

He's this big stupid stationary object when his machine gun is out. There's nothing I can do verse people who just use a wall and only pop out to get a quick shot off.

He's incredibly squishy.

Your team never protects you.

The second you're spotted (and Overwatch makes that incredibly easy), the main focus is on you.

What could they possibly do to Bastion and still make him playable? Nerf his machine gun? If they did that, he wouldn't be able to kill anyone. The only people I can get a kill on are people that just stand there or run in a straight line with no cover.

His non-stationary weapon is a joke and only has 20 bullets.

Deleted
    I have little problem with him, Torbjorn is must more anti fun. you can easyly Kill a Bastion as a sniper or Tracer. or Phrah. While Torbjorn just says" fuck that" always get hit always die.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    I have little problem with him, Torbjorn is must more anti fun. you can easyly Kill a Bastion as a sniper or Tracer. or Phrah. While Torbjorn just says" fuck that" always get hit always die.
    I cannot stand that stupid dwarf. Why does his turret have a 100% accuracy? Who in their right mind, thought that would be a good idea? A chance to miss when it's not upgraded would be a more ideal solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    I can't remember the map but I flew up as Pharah and I was being shot by the turret an ungodly distance away from the turret. I flew back up just to double check that was what was hitting me...so freaking stupid. Add the fact that it just instawarp turns to shoot you so there is no flanking it. I can kill it...but not without being killed in the process or being basically dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Just fucking grab him with Roadhog, it's not hard. Just walk up, press shift, he dies. A turreted Bastion is L I T E R A L L Y the easiest Roadhog kill in the game other than a Junkrat who's controlling the tire.
    Will try this next time I'm doing 1v1 Nagrand Arena against Bastion.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the enemy team can coordinate efforts to protect him why can't your team coordinate a counter?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I can't remember the map but I flew up as Pharah and I was being shot by the turret an ungodly distance away from the turret. I flew back up just to double check that was what was hitting me...so freaking stupid. Add the fact that it just instawarp turns to shoot you so there is no flanking it. I can kill it...but not without being killed in the process or being basically dead.
    Likei said All those heroes i said can counter bastion, but gets fucking wreacked by Torbjorn.

I feel as though Bastion, like many Overwatch characters, is one of those playstyles that'll become much easier to deal with once the playerbase at large becomes more familiar with the game and the maps. Yesterday I was killed numerous times by a pair of Bastions seemingly out of the blue, running around a corner only to have them gun me down within seconds. Once I knew where they were hiding, and figured out a safe pathway through the map where I could sneak up on them, it was no problem to deal with them. Unexpected angles of attack (and character counters, of course) have been the cause of the vast majority of both my deaths and kills during my initial few hours of play in Overwatch. At times it's been quite perplexing, but yesterday I finally started to wrap my head around all the ins and outs of a couple of the maps, and it started becoming much easier to deal with things like Bastions set up in defensible positions.

I don't have enough experience with the game to comment on whether certain comps with Bastion are problematic or not, but the character himself seems fine.