Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    3rd leading caause of death in the US is medical fuckups yet most ppl dont know that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    This is a public hospital which receives donations in the millions from companies such as Nike, so it isn't like they can't afford it.
    This is a pretty dopey thing to say if you haven't actually looked at their balance sheet. High revenue doesn't imply high profit margins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Ah, the joys of free healthcare. Not having to worry about life saving treatment being affordable, can't beat it :P
    You realize that care is rationed based on cost when it's "free", right? That the most expensive treatments are often just flatly not available?

- - - Updated - - -

His past medical expenses for the Stanford care already have exceeded that, at $5 million, said his mother.
    This is the core problem - this care shouldn't run to $5 million. The cost of care is simply absurd in the case of complex surgeries and testing. The incentives for hospitals to charge high prices any time they think they can collect are perverse. Were medical professionals, suppliers, and administrators not compensated at absurd levels, this wouldn't be an issue.

If it actually costs the quoted $12 million original award, this is not a reasonable sum of money to spend on saving one life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You realize that care is rationed based on cost when it's "free", right? That the most expensive treatments are often just flatly not available?
    HEY! You keep your pesky "facts" and "truth" out of this! "Free" healthcare means everything is free and unlimited! Free doctors! Free nurses! Free research! FREE EVERYTHING! KEEP YOUR LIMITS OFF MY BODY BRO!
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

^Is that why Americans with otherwise inoperable brain tumors come to my province for Gamma-Knife surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post

This is a public hospital which receives donations in the millions from companies such as Nike, so it isn't like they can't afford it.
    You have it backwards. Public hospitals are publicly funded and not for profit. They can't turn anyone away regardless of insurance so getting big donations doesn't mean they're rich. It means they have some money to cover their costs.

Private hospitals have the big bucks sitting in some bank account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    You have it backwards. Public hospitals are publicly funded and not for profit. They can't turn anyone away regardless of insurance so getting big donations doesn't mean they're rich. It means they have some money to cover their costs.

Private hospitals have the big bucks sitting in some bank account.
    Well this hospital is one of the best and most expensive hospitals in the state. So yes, they do indeed have the money. Some insurance companies do not allow people to use OHSU for that reason.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ever had surgery? You know that form you sign or in this case the parents signed, that says hey even if we chop your head off by mistake when it was a simple fracture setting its not our fault!!!! they don't have to pay anything because of that, so they are really being somewhat decent here.

I had surgery on my toe and i had to sign my life away

*edit

Im not saying its right, just how it is

10+ Year Old Account
    One should never have to decide between being broke and healthy. Such a perverse system you have there reason i'll always oppose privatization of the health industry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    The point is that NO-ONES LIFE should ever depend on how much money that have
    Yes, and no one should starve of die or get a bo bo.
    We dont have infinite money, and there are plenty of times where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Were medical professionals, suppliers, and administrators not compensated at absurd levels, this wouldn't be an issue.

If it actually costs the quoted $12 million original award, this is not a reasonable sum of money to spend on saving one life.
    well it could be the lifetime cost, including loss of income, and or indexed for the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't blame OHSU, they're a fantastic childrens hospital. I would have lost over half my foot as a child were it not for the surgeons there. The issue in this case is the law, not the hospital.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.