Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    But protesting because "they're muslims that are trying to change our culture" as a few posts in here have said is dumb, and doing it because "dress codes!" is also dumb, given no one protests about black tie events having a dress code.
    This really comes down to nothing more than "this is what people have said, and it's dumb". Not much of an argument.

So the women can't dress like whores? Good, about time that someone brings some morality to the western world.

Oh, they're free to protest. I've never said they can't protest.

But protesting because "they're muslims that are trying to change our culture" as a few posts in here have said is dumb, and doing it because "dress codes!" is also dumb, given no one protests about black tie events having a dress code.
    black tie dress codes tho have been so detached from Christianity for so long they are not really religious in nature anymore so it loses alot of the objectionably

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    No you're right. http://gawker.com/5965719/penn-state...are-a-bad-idea

Same people who admonished the sorority are defending this discriminatory Muslim-garb only event.
    you don't think the fact that the signs were these type:

"All the members decided to wear ponchos, sombreros and mustaches, and two women held signs, one of which read "Will Mow Lawn for Weed + Beer" and the other "I Don't Cut Grass, I Smoke It." And now the fun costume party is officially a racist costume party."

was the issue here? Because that's the issue with that party.

here's what the people that had the issue said:

"“The Mexican American Student Association is disappointed in the attire chosen by this sorority. It in no way represents our culture. Not only have they chosen to stereotype our culture with serapes and sombreros, but the insinuation about drug usage makes this image more offensive. Our country is plagued by a drug war that has led to the death of an estimated 50,000 people, which is nothing to be joked about.”"

Not because they're not mexicans, but because they were being little fucks about it with their signs in addition to plucking the lowest fruit available.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I mean... That would sound reasonable if this wasn't at a waterpark XD
    /shrug

You can swim in those things. You won't win races, you won't swim fast or far, but you CAN swim in them. And most older people don't go to public pools for vigorous swimming, in my experience... that's more the kids doing that.

What?

Are you getting mixed up at this point?
    Then let me rephrase it as I wasn't expecting semantic wrangling; Unless a vast majority of Brits convert to Islam or suddenly become extremely prudish, this won't affect British Culture.

The complete culture of a country isn't only the dominant one. Therefore any changes in subculture means the country's culture has changed in some way. How come you don't understand this?
    You can't extrapolate the actions of a subculture onto the entire Country. British Muslim culture might be changed by this, British culture as a whole isn't as it doesn't affect a majority of Brits.

Oh, they're free to protest. I've never said they can't protest.

Even you, or rather even with your stance, you have to see the difference between not being allowed to go to the water park in your normal swim wear, to an event being completely mundane apart from being open to women only, forcing many to buy new swim wear altogether if to attend, and wearing a tie to a formal event...now you're only being facetious, and rather openly so. If you somehow think that it isn't facetious, then I think the discussion is over - I don't mind differing opinions, but a certain degree of logic being used, or at least not trampled upon completely, is...preferable.

I mean that's true. But i think we decided a long time ago that women didn't need to wear concealing bathing suits or have their suits measured to make sure they were okay before going swimming. I thought we were past that but it seems like many people here (not saying you are one of them) are okay with it just because that's the culture of another country, even when if it was our culture doing it people would fight it tooth and nail.
    /shrug

We had a party when I was a kid at a pool that required jeans and t-shirts for some reason. I can't remember why. It's not something new or unique, though, and people have events that most would consider weird all the time, so the big fuss about this one is.. amusing.

i dont think wearing a beesuit to go in a waterpark is gonna be a hit
    mr pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Even you, or rather even with your stance, you have to see the difference between not being allowed to go to the water park in your normal swim wear, to an event being completely mundane apart from being open to women only, forcing many to buy new swim wear altogether if to attend, and wearing a tie to a formal event...now you're only being facetious, and rather openly so. If you somehow think that it isn't facetious, then I think the discussion is over - I don't mind differing opinions, but a certain degree of logic being used, or at least not trampled upon completely, is...preferable.
    Uh.

If I went to a black tie event, I'd have to buy a dress. That's the price I'd have to pay to go to an OPTIONAL EVENT.

This is an after hours, private event. No one is "not being allowed to go" because they wouldn't be able to go ANYWAY because the park would be closed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Then let me rephrase it as I wasn't expecting semantic wrangling; Unless a vast majority of Brits convert to Islam or suddenly become extremely prudish, this won't affect British Culture.
    You mean the country or the people? The country is obviously changing.

Your basic premise that culture isn't affected unless a vast majority change is wrong, but I shouldn't have to re-explain why.
    You can't extrapolate the actions of a subculture onto the entire Country. British Muslim culture might be changed by this, British culture as a whole isn't as it doesn't affect a majority of Brits.
    I've already explained that it is changed.

- - - Updated - - -

you don't think the fact that the signs were these type:
    Why are you so insulting though? They have free speech, and all that, so therefore you can't criticize them! /s

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with organizing a party for a restricted number of people (female) and with strict dressing code, albeit it seems I am the only person getting the irony of a female-only event that has a symbol of woman's subjugation as dress code.

You Brits should organize a male wet T-Shirt contest on the other side of the road

I don't think it's some kind of intrusion by the Muslims or something, i just don't agree that these religious practices should be normal or acceptable. Just like refusing to shake women's hands because they are women isn't, etc. I would be against stuff like this in any other capacity, so i won't stop being just because it's a Religious minority in the west doing it.
    I mean, I'm with you for all public events; in public, conform to the culture you're in (to a degree.. for the shriekers in this thread, no, I am not saying you should cut off a thief's hand yourself, nor support that), but in private events? Go for whatever you want, who cares.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    *Shrugs* So what? It's a one-time event during the off-hours of the pool. If the Dress Code for the event is considered dangerous, then I'd have an issue, if it's not, then so what? It's their event that they're hosting.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

private company
    after hours event

whats the problem again?

I a local club has some cosplay after hours event would you get pissed if plane clothed people aren't allowed in? Of course not, but since this is muslim centered *outrage*

10+ Year Old Account
    Much ado about nothing. Water park hosts a one time event for a specific demographic and caters to that demographic. Non story. It's not like this is a permanent policy or during regular business hours. Not much different than complaining that a restaurant won't be serving pork at an off-hours bar mitzvah
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    You Brits should organize a male wet T-Shirt contest on the other side of the road
    ...And post pictures.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a single special event. Not a change in overall policy. This is a complete non-issue unless you're freaking out about Muslims, for some reason.
    Muslims are people who literally live in the dark ages, you really don't need to apologize or make exceptions for these people and their outright stupid archaic ideas. They could at least pretend they live in the year 2016.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    private company
    after hours event

whats the problem again?

I a local club has some cosplay after hours event would you get pissed if plane clothed people aren't allowed in? Of course not, but since this is muslim centered *outrage*
    I wish that the clubs around here had cosplay events... >.<
    ~~ ~~

Uh.

If I went to a black tie event, I'd have to buy a dress. That's the price I'd have to pay to go to an OPTIONAL EVENT.

This is an after hours, private event. No one is "not being allowed to go" because they wouldn't be able to go ANYWAY because the park would be closed!

The dresscode and the event aren't inherently attached to each other; said event taking place does not make the dresscode itself mandatory. Implying that the event would not take place without the dresscode, and that the same can't very easily be discarded altogether in favor of inclusiveness, is inherently false, as the event is directed towards all women.

That being said, the two events (water park and black tie-event) aren't comparable even by an ambitious stretch of the imagination. That they are allowed to have a dresscode, noone has opposed that, but that's also were the similarities all end, and for my part, I won't discuss it further since it is unrelated to the discussion at hand.

You mean the country or the people? The country is obviously changing.

Your basic premise that culture isn't affected unless a vast majority change is wrong, but I shouldn't have to re-explain why.

I've already explained that it is changed.
    No, my premise is that the dominant culture hasn't changed, merely a subculture. It's not now suddenly British culture to wear Burqa's to waterparks.