Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Nvidia reference cards will now be sold above the MSRP

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2...-and-reference

Unless I can turn off the green leds I would never by a ref card anyway but this is an interesting change.

thoughts anyone ?

EDIT: Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was weird

Last edited by TaintedOne; 2016-05-10 at 12:12 AM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    What is there to think about it? They have a new cooler design that according to them makes "unbelievable overclock" possible. It's pretty much the same as it has always been.

Nvidias board partners generally dont ever sells cards at the MSRP. They OC them, add better coolers air or water, and etc.

The ref cards have in the past been the most budget friendly option.

Now it seems the 1080 has a MSRP of $599 but you will never be able to find it for that price barring a sale.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this all and I still don't think there is anything to think about it. Nvidia is just taking as much money as possible which is understandable when AMD stated that they aren't even going to release cards at that price bracket for now. Nvidia can put the price they want.

It doesn't really matter who is selling the overclockable cards.

You dont find it strange at all to set an MSRP of $599 and have zero cards available for purchase for that price ? Why even put it on the slide at your press release event.

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    You dont find it strange at all to set an MSRP of $599 and have zero cards available for purchase for that price ? Why even put it on the slide at your press release event.
    Because that stops people buying the 50 dollar cheaper with almost the same performance fury x

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Because that stops people buying the 50 dollar cheaper with almost the same performance fury x
    Then why increase the MSRP at all over the 980 ? Just put $549(iirc) in the slide lol

It will be interesting to see if any of the board partners that traditionally don't offer a ref card will decide to add one to under cut Nvidia's $699 price point.

edit: Had another thought. What if the board partners use Nvidia's $699 ref card as an excuse to sell custom PCB's for more than $699. Are we going to see $799 1080's ?
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2016-05-09 at 12:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The founders edition thing exists to drain extra money from those who can't wait. They barely have cards to sell so they're going to sell the few that they do for a higher price. They just wanted to have a lead with the release.

Their marketing team was genius as always.

You didnt read the linked article did you -.-

Founders edition = ref cards

Nothing special about founders edition other than Nvidia itself will sell them for more than their suggested retail price

Its not a limited edition it will be available for the entire life span of the cards

The "better oc support" founders edition or whatever he said in the presentation was nothing more than marketing bs. Their is only one version of the cards not two.

Doesnt matter how long you wait if you buy a 1080 direct from Nvidia the price will be $699

50 dollar cheaper with almost the same performance fury x
    except its not

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidias board partners generally dont ever sells cards at the MSRP. They OC them, add better coolers air or water, and etc.

The ref cards have in the past been the most budget friendly option.

Now it seems the 1080 has a MSRP of $599 but you will never be able to find it for that price barring a sale.
    Well given that we haven't seen any board partner 1080s yet I think we should wait until we do before we pass judgment. Traditionally, yes, the reference card has been cheaper than the aftermarket ones, but if what nVidia is saying is true then this generation it'll be the opposite. Board partner pricing is in part determined by nVidia MSRP.

We will probably see some aftermarket cards with crazy water/hybrid coolers or extreme OCs that exceed Founders Edition prices, but we will almost certainly also see some that are cheaper than the Founders Edition as well.

You didnt read the linked article did you -.-

Founders edition = ref cards

Nothing special about founders edition other than Nvidia itself will sell them for more than their suggested retail price

Its not a limited edition it will be available for the entire life span of the cards

The "better oc support" founders edition or whatever he said in the presentation was nothing more than marketing bs. Their is only one version of the cards not two.

Doesnt matter how long you wait if you buy a 1080 direct from Nvidia the price will be $699
    Nobody said it was limited. The whole point of Founders Edition is that it'll be released before aftermarket versions, so for the people with that "OMG I NEED IT NOW ASAP!!" mentality, this card is for them. Usually aftermarket cards don't come out until at least 2-3 weeks after the reference (or in this case, Founders) edition.

Nobody said it was limited.
    This is a gaming card. When you say "founders edition" to gamers it generally implies something even though they didnt say limited number directly.

I personally did not even consider them offering a limited number but it was brought up in the video in the linked article. I thought it was binned or an impoved stock cooler or something heh turns out they just are adding $100 for lulz.

Usually aftermarket cards don't come out until at least 2-3 weeks after the reference (or in this case, Founders) edition.
    True but sometimes they can launch with the ref cards just depends if Nvidia gave them enough time to design and manufacture the cards. Depends on how fast they can crank out the card really. Nothing from Nvidia prevents aftermarket cards on launch day.

This is a gaming card. When you say "founders edition" to gamers it generally implies something even though they didnt say limited number directly.

I personally did not even consider them offering a limited number but it was brought up in the video in the linked article. I thought it was binned or an impoved stock cooler or something heh turns out they just are adding $100 for lulz.

True but sometimes they can launch with the ref cards just depends if Nvidia gave them enough time to design and manufacture the cards. Depends on how fast they can crank out the card really. Nothing from Nvidia prevents aftermarket cards on launch day.
    It seems Nvidia did this for some of their customers like falcon northwest who like to be able to get the exact same card for as long as they get produced to integrate in their systems, that way they only have to certify 1 card (see http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/...y#.VzEsHY9OI_U)

Now this is starting to make sense. Pretty ingenious on Nvidia's part.

Selling the card themselves above the MSRP leaves room for board partners and system builders to undercut them. They will make more selling bulk orders to PNY and iBUYPOWER than direct to end user sales.

As an added bonus when the card is end of life you don't have to worry about unused stock. It is sitting in someone else's warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    except its not
    Can you stop? $50 cheaper, "almost the same" is vague, but not incorrect. http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1513?vs=1496

Deleted
    Now this is starting to make sense. Pretty ingenious on Nvidia's part.

Selling the card themselves above the MSRP
    But they are not really selling them above MSRP, they have there own MSRP..??

I mean, the reference cards (FE edition) that gigabyte etc will sell, will also have the 699 dollar MSRP...

Anyway, it is just a marketing ploy for the fanboys and early adopters. I mean, why would spend about 100 dollars more for a reference cooler when custom cards will have better cooling and probably better components. Even so, the top of the line products (Matrix, Xtreme etc) might end up costing the same. And I doubt those will have worse components compared to the reference cards.
    Only the fanboys will buy these cards, and of course the people who will put a waterblock on them.

I do think it is good that these cards will be available the entire life time of the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    But they are not really selling them above MSRP, they have there own MSRP..??
    Yes they are... Of course they set the MSRP who else would set it ?

They set the suggested price at $599 then decided to ignore their own suggest price and put a $699 price tag on it.

Hence why I made this thread. I was confused why they decided on a $699 price when obviously any board partner could release a reference card in the $599-$698 range and be cheaper for the exact same card. It made no sense. Who would spend $100 more just for lulz

Hence why I made this thread. I was confused why they decided on a $699 price when obviously any board partner could release a reference card in the $599-$698 range and be cheaper for the exact same card. It made no sense. Who would spend $100 more just for lulz
    Because this is a paper launch. There just ain't going to be that many cards on the shelves, so they ask a premium for those.

Deleted
    Who would spend $100 more just for lulz
    More people than you think..

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    So I can't buy the 1070 for $380? I have to buy the $450 one? Thanks nvidia hopefully amd has something better.