Poll: Should Overwatch go from 1st person to 3rd person as the default view?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    What? No, there is no reason to make it third-person. This is a competitive shooter, first-person works a hundred times better for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by antelope591 View Post
    Can anyone name a 3rd person shooter that has had near the success of top 1st person ones? 3rd person = clunky gameplay and gameplay is everything. Therefore no this is a terrible idea
    Gears of War.

Literally my all time favorite game. Gears 1 is widely popular. Especially during the young years of the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    I don't know why the 3rd person view isn't there already.
    Because it would be a balancing nightmare and the game doesn't need it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Gears of War.
    They phrased it wrong. They should have said 'one 3rd-person shooter at that level that doesn't rely on cover mechanics'. Overwatch doesn't have any cover mechanics so all of those style shooters are not comparable.

15+ Year Old Account
    No. TPS changes the feel of the game completely. It feels good as an FPS.

Maybe the only exceptions would be during Genji's sword ult and Winston's berserk ult, since it can be hard to go full melee in first person.

Only for certain abilities that work like the rein shield and rip tire. Abilities like WInston's ult needs to be 3rd person

Maybe they could add a toggle so you can choose your view

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieBell View Post
    Maybe they could add a toggle so you can choose your view
    They were hesitant to add a FOV slider because they considered a high FOV an advantage.

A third person camera option would be mandatory, as it would allow you to see enemies coming from behind. Just try to play WoW in first person.

Again, a third person hero, balanced around that mechanic, I wouldn't mind. The whole game? No way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I would only want it in if it's a mode you set for the match. If just one person uses 3rd person then that person has an advantage over the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    They phrased it wrong. They should have said 'one 3rd-person shooter at that level that doesn't rely on cover mechanics'. Overwatch doesn't have any cover mechanics so all of those style shooters are not comparable.
    Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by antelope591 View Post
    Can anyone name a 3rd person shooter that has had near the success of top 1st person ones? 3rd person = clunky gameplay and gameplay is everything. Therefore no this is a terrible idea
    Gears of War man. Huge. Also I have to say that The Last of Us and Uncharted which have similar gameplay, and are popular even though not competitive games.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    What? No, there is no reason to make it third-person. This is a competitive shooter, first-person works a hundred times better for that.
    Maybe that's the perfect reason for it to be 3rd person. Because shooters are saturated with 1st person. I mean I honestly believe Smite as a MOBA only really got traction because it was that much different than other games because of the perspective alone.

Quote Originally Posted by LairenyX View Post
    LoL something HUGE just came into my head:

<snip>

7+ Year Old Account
    3rd person would imo create a unfair advantage on the melee characters. like genji and reinhardt.

while others like Hanzo wouldn't see much help from it. plus personally you can have both, so my vote is for no 3rd person.
    Gamer at Heart, Always willing to level up my game-play experience. Desire for gaining advantage in video games tier lists, are those that provide me a guide. not just a direction, but a path i can set for myself to grow.

7+ Year Old Account
    I usually play as Mercy
    So 3rd person would mean....

Everytime I go into a hallway the screen goes haywire,

It would be a little harder to see whats DIRECTLY infront of you. (From my experience)

And everytime I look up I would get to see Mercys butt.

The verdict:

WORTH IT

It would be better off if you had the option,

To SWITCH from first person to third person, sort of like minecraft or star wars battlefront 2.
    Last edited by Fiery Sands; 2016-03-29 at 11:27 PM.

Id love that, atleast an option to select third person instead of first person.

I love wow arena, and overwatch would also be very fun in third person.

Not a chance. Third person is relegated to games that don't require aiming, unlike Overwatch. Gears of War didn't require anything remotely precise like aiming or fast movement, so it worked for that. It wouldn't work at all for Overwatch. Perhaps more 3rd person pan-outs (like Reinhardt shield) during certain abilities would be a good addition, but going to 3rd person would be awful and probably destroy the playerbase. As an option it wouldn't affect anything but nearly no one would use it I would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

10+ Year Old Account
    Accidentally voted yes but meant no.

The game is perfect how it is.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

Not as default, would love the option though.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's fine how it is, twitch shooters are pretty ass in 3rd person mode anyway.

If you want 3rd person just play Reinhardt.

Deleted
    I think that first person view is best for Overwatch to be honest.. As someone said in this post already, Heroes likes Tracers are made to flank, and heores as Bastion would be TO overpowered if he could see "360" all the time.

I disagree, because:
    - Your character gets in the way of your view.
    - You don't shoot as well, even with the same crosshairs etc. The game is mainly ranged, it would be different if this was a melee focused game.
    - This isn't an RPG. You're not making a unique character and playing it's story. They are tools you use to win random fights against other players.
    - I think the game will suffer if people will focus on playing female characters because they can't resist looking at some well-shaped, high-polygon butts.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    I don't know why the 3rd person view isn't there already.
    Because third person offers certain advantages one shouldn't have.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!