Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    I feel that using gear to exclude people does more damage to the game, rather than helping it.
    True. Sadly enough, it appears there are people who, upon encountering another random person in-game, immediately feel the need to label them on the spot as hierarchically "better" or "worse" than themselves, and treat them accordingly.

I have a far good idea: remove useless threads from this forum, what do you think?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Betongjocke View Post
    Worship me scrubs in lesser armor is a very good argument..Worship me i have a epic mount. I love it. You love transmog i get it . But yes, for the good of the game can refer to a better community, so that i dont have to spend 2-3+ hour searching for endgame PvPers every day to find a decent partner. Like it is now I can see the game and how you like it from ur perspective, but you cannot see it from my point of view. I do love WoW , and blizzard. I'm a real nerd man
    That's because your PoW is moronic and absurd and no one cares about your useless nonsense, especially not Blizzard - so move on. Sure, it's your opinion, but it's a shit one.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

15+ Year Old Account
    Once upon a time, you looked like a clown for 99% of your playtime (100% for those whose BiS did NOT include the full tier set).
    But when a player finally got their tier set and a new expansion came out, it would last for a few weeks or months and then back to looking like a clown until you get all the gear you need from the new expansion's end game.
    All your past achievements rendered pointless.
    Exceptions being PvP where the best gear was very specific, but to this day people show it off when they have it.

Transmog is ONE of the things that is keeping this game alive.
    It partially revitalized the old content and allows you to see most players looking decent for the majority of their playstyle.

So the answer is no. There is absolutely no benefit to removing transmog.
    It's merely a distorted notion of nostalgia and reverse cause and effect.

Because transmog doesn't remove the value of achievements. The achievements have lost value regardless of transmog.
    Obtaining a T6 today is trivial. With or without transmog.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Yeah remove transmog! 100% for this!

Again, any con you might be able to find for transmogrification if you reach and grasp for straws is heavily overshadowed by the pros. It would be lunacy for Blizzard to remove transmog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about a time without transmog always reminds me of this old picture.
    I like transmog. Can't imagine it being gone. Would also completely remove any reason to run old dungeons or raids besides the odd mount drop. Hunting and completing transmog sets is a fun activity

Also, for PvE e-peen you could always use that fancy Mythic title to show your 'skill'. And for PVP, shouldn't you always assume your opponent is highly skilled before engaging them?

Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Your "logic" amazes me. Really. You IMMEDIATELY contradicted yourself. Let me unpack that:

What transmog does is it takes your accomplishments and rewards, given to you because of your role in the world as a class, as a PvP'er/PvE'er/collector, and as an either good or bad player - and throws all of that out of the window so you can look any way you want.

Being able to look any way you want is certainly cool in some respects, but it also really detracts from the feeling of there being a direct relation between your appearance and your role in the world and your accomplishments.

Some think that's a tradeoff that's good for the game, others don't.
    I see you dont understand, i contradict myself not one bit. You just count technical progress, thats nice and you are entitled to this.

But i will never recognize your hero if every new patch he wears his new bling-bling +4 Pants.

I will however recognize Crull the Crusher who looks the same distinct style no matter what.
    Cause he has a story i know hes slain countless enemies.

Like i said its just the same with superheroes, you see them form a mile away and know who they are, cause they dont need to show their new bling-bling +4 pants.

It has negative side effect for try hard who like to show off and judge others

Quote Originally Posted by Zatachi View Post
    I see you dont understand, i contradict myself not one bit. You just count technical progress, thats nice and you are entitled to this.

But i will never recognize your hero if every new patch he wears his new bling-bling +4 Pants.

I will however recognize Crull the Crusher who looks the same distinct style no matter what.
    Cause he has a story i know hes slain countless enemies.

Like i said its just the same with superheroes, you see them form a mile away and know who they are, cause they dont need to show their new bling-bling +4 pants.
    How do you know this? Nothing on him indicates anything about what he's done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You can still do that. The top gear still has a unique look. Possibly just a different color of a less difficult raid setting but if a player was informed enough in say BC to know what tier 6 looked like when they've never seen anything past Gruul's Lair, then that same type of player would probably know what color the armor is of the Mythic level Tier 849583 or whatever it is we're on now.
    Not really. When the armor is a completely unique model it is quite a lot more distinctive.

But that's actually besides the point. It's much more common for raiders to transmog away from their high end armors, which is the same kind of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I'd much rather have a consistent and preferred appearance over wearing a mash-up of random armour because somebody I don't know wants to judge my progress by it.
    Pretty much what I think, in a nutshell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    What do you mean by "look powerful"? They can't transmog to the same look of the gear from the hardest current content unless they clear that content and obtain the gear. It seems you're suggesting people who just hit level 100 and going back to BT and getting tier 6 to "look more powerful". But as I've said many times in other posts, this still happens without transmog. They just have to actually equip it and this is exactly what happened prior to transmog. All transmog does is make it more convenient and allow you to do current content with the visual of your choosing.
    Let's pretend we have a totally new player in WoW who knows nothing about this game, he comes into WoW hitting maxlevel looking like a shit, yes everyone can tell this is a new guy. He can suddenly just hit LFR, or Que up to AFK in ashran for a few hours and then get rewarded with very powerful gear. Why is this just OK? It is against the very core of WoW wich was totally different always just connected into making big efforts to the game and then being rewarded. Why did the game just hop over this session that it takes time to get cool armor? He can do tons of transmog runs to get cool armors & weapons that doesnt really require any effort at all. But what does all this weapons & armors tell about the game to a veteran player? Yes are mostly connected to a story / memory of when that was actuall content and you needed to work hard for it. Now it's just being handed out with no effort wich i think is wrong. Is it just fair that the new player can transmog it and act like he is powerful in this way? All bosses were once hard and required effort.. well almost all.. not onyxia in the remake etc xD I dont mind ppl having it in their banks or backpacks, but just being able to transmog it because u think ur character looks ugly otherwise is just wrong imo. Instead i think you should learn what the core concept was, time, patience, and reaching a goal then being rewarded. And on the other side of the sinking ship we call wow we still have the great HFC raiders who always put alot of effort into the game and he gets to wear this unique armor until the new patches come out and it becomes mainstream. Wich is totally fine and how it's always been working. But this new concept actually makes these raiders more transparent in cities due to overflood of ppl with massive armors. They're harder to detect then back in the ways where casuals wouldnt even reach maximum levels if they didnt put enough time into the game. Here is where the difference comes in, the old model a casual wouldnt reach maximum level without putting alot of effort into the game. Even better he wouldnt get epics unless he really struggled for it wich made it easier to see the differences between players wich i enjoyed. In the modern WoW it's just a matter of itemlevels between a casual and a hardcore raider. Why? The amount of ppl dropping the game due to stuffs like the gaming is becoming to easy cannot be ignored, it's just obvious that ppl like the game challenging. Why bring the cap closer between noobs and veterans? Like a few ilvls like 710 to 740 can do . They will look almost the same, but the 740 player will be alot more powerful. I do love the old concept alot better anyways!

And when transmog came wich was in Cataclysm, the sub numbers started dropping. What is there to blame? Lack of dungeons & raids? So we can focus on adding transmog tiers so everyone can be happy with their new looks rather then new content released itself? Right, because a transmog hunt is so funny? That you cannot compare it with a new set of dungeons, or even a raid right ?
    Transmog came out after the drops had already happened. The issue with cata sub drops was down to raids and dungeons being too hard.

Deleted
    But that's actually besides the point. It's much more common for raiders to transmog away from their high end armors, which is the same kind of problem.
    "Problem", lol. It's maybe a problem for you, buddy, but sure as hell not a problem for the raiders in question. Progression raiders know the scene on their realm (if they care, some likely don't) and gauge themselves by wowprogress, ranks and logs, not by the color of their pants.

Let's pretend we have a totally new player in WoW who knows nothing about this game, he comes into WoW hitting maxlevel looking like a shit, yes everyone can tell this is a new guy. He can suddenly just hit LFR, or Que up to AFK in ashran for a few hours and then get rewarded with very powerful gear. Why is this just OK?
    Lol, dare I say. This "very powerful gear" is in fact... entry level gear for doing mythic dungeons or maybe starting HFC normal. So the baseline you should have to even get initiated into the very first steps of the pve metagame (entry -> normal -> hc -> mythic). You really have no clue, do you.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2016-05-10 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Wanting to know their gameplay achievements isn't an immersive situation anyway. If a guy wears mythic gear, it still links to the idea that they raided mythic; that's not immersion any more than taking the extra step of looking at it in their character window is.
    Yes it is. You're looking at someone IN THE GAME WORLD versus looking at someone ON A FLAT USER INTERFACE PANEL.

Because they did before transmog. Because what may be BiS may not flow at all with your other pieces.
    Only in tBC. WotLK and vanilla did not have this problem. There was a comic linked earlier in this thread which was based on an expectation that it would happen for WotLK, but it didn't. This is because tBC reused A TON of vanilla assets for gear and did not even try to connect the environment to the rewards you'd get.

That's your opinion.
    Whether WoW is an MMORPG anymore or not is not an opinion. If you look at the classical definition of an MMORPG, which is a game where thousands of players interact in a seamless online world as characters that play a role in said world, then the current version of WoW doesn't tick any of those boxes. Players routinely teleport, instance, and get loading screens to the point where they really aren't in the open world at all; and all the boxes that flow from this fact (which is basically all of them) therefore also fail the check.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2016-05-10 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    "Problem", lol. It's maybe a problem for you, buddy, but sure as hell not a problem for the raiders in question. Progression raiders know the scene on their realm (if they care, some likely don't) and gauge themselves by wowprogress, ranks and logs, not by the color of their pants.
    The point is not for raiders to feel they're special; the point is for others to see the raiders as special and something to aspire to by making them look cool.

VERY basic distinction there.

When raiders know that they are looked up to, however, they start feeling cool about it as well.

A lot of people mistook the feeling of feeling great because others thought you looked cool for feeling great because you think you look cool. This more direct approach ignores a fundamental social aspect of the MMORPG.

Deleted
    The point is not for raiders to feel they're special; the point is for others to see the raiders as special and something to aspire to by making them look cool.

VERY basic distinction there.

When raiders know that they are looked up to, however, they start feeling cool about it as well.

A lot of people mistook the feeling of feeling great because others thought you looked cool for feeling great because you think you look cool. This more direct approach ignores a fundamental social aspect of the MMORPG.
    Feh, if you want to snowflake it up as a progression raider, you put on your current mythic title and final boss mount, then sit where people can see you. Whispers and inspects guaranteed! Ofc for increased effect you do it 2-3 months after tier release tops, not after 12 months and a round of nerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    Soon : "Transmog is killing wow !"
    Indeed. The stupid just gets worse every year.

Yes it is. You're looking at someone IN THE GAME WORLD versus looking at someone ON A FLAT USER INTERFACE PANEL.

Only in tBC. WotLK and vanilla did not have this problem. There was a comic linked earlier in this thread which was based on an expectation that it would happen for WotLK, but it didn't. This is because tBC reused A TON of vanilla assets for gear and did not even try to connect the environment to the rewards you'd get.

Whether WoW is an MMORPG anymore or not is not an opinion. If you look at the classical definition of an MMORPG, which is a game where thousands of players interact in a seamless online world as characters that play a role in said world, then the current version of WoW doesn't tick any of those boxes. Players routinely teleport, instance, and get loading screens to the point where they really aren't in the open world at all.
    Flashing news : The game world is an user interface

For your last point you're right. Whether WoW is an MMORPG is not an opinion : Is it an MMORPG. Just because you don't like it doesn't means it isn't

From wikipedia :

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are a combination of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a world. This means that MMORPGs are online games where a player is able to play with other people all around the world.

WoW have RPG elements, like it or not. WoW have a very large number of players. They interact with one another in the world, like it or not. Teleporting is interacting, instance is interacting even when nobody talk, pvp is interacting, battle pet is also interacting.

You're just salty.

Deleted
    Whether WoW is an MMORPG anymore or not is not an opinion.
    Yes it is.