Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    If you buy music sure, but that is on the decline.

If you (legally) stream music?
    The streaming revenue is an income source that didn't even exist some 20 years ago.
    People were listening to radio, or had tape recorders, walkman etc.
    Then they've bought the albums and possibly went to concerts, which were affordable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Concert tickets are $150.00 because the artists are greedy. They sing songs for about 90 minutes to 2 hours max (The length of concerts has also been shortened greatly from when I was younger and many dont even have opening acts any more) a few days a week. The majority of the money a concert pulls in should be going to the people that actually do the work. The people who spend all day lifting and mounting the heavy speakers and lights, the people who string hundreds of miles of cable across the venue making sure that every one of the thousands of cables gets plugged in to the right hole. The people who carry in and build the stage all day, the people who set up thousands of chairs, the people who spend hours mopping up all your spilled beer and sticky soda, etc..... Without all those people the singer wouldnt even be able to have a concert!! Id say $2500.00 or so should be plenty to be paid to just sing a few songs
    You got your communist day today?
    But, if it comforts you, with the majority of artists those 2.5k is about what they get for a concert after taxes.
    And sadly those you speak for are still the least paid in the chain. Minimum wage or below is the norm.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'm with you man. I feel the same way.

One thing that has helped my band immensely, is that we have an amazing promoter that we work with. She has been the main reason we have the popularity that we do.

Do you have a link to your music? I'd love to share it around to get your name out there.
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjCP9wfKgfZjIb4d_xglmqQ
    https://soundcloud.com/dj-laggspike

there i put everything i do, some serious, some not so serious

Thanks btw!
    enjoy!

10+ Year Old Account
    A good artists can earn millions from touring, the lazy one will always complain. You can't expect to post something on youtube and earn millions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The streaming revenue is an income source that didn't even exist some 20 years ago.
    Then they've bought the albums and possibly went to concerts, which were affordable.
    Yeah exactly, the process is maturing. New technologies emerge that obsolete older ones. From physical media, to digital media, to streaming/online media. Both convenience and cost of distribution go down over time. And in theory so should prices, just like in any industry that went through this kind of revolutions.

Companies try to keep up the prices, but you can see their ability to do so start to erode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post

Thanks btw!
    enjoy!
    Listening to "Slow Blues for the day" And this is very good man =D

Have you done any shows?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks btw!
    enjoy!
    Your youtube link gives me an error?

I have a problem with someone who writes a song, book, movie thinks they deserve exponentially more than someone who works hard physically. I think the whole entertainment industry makes too much money

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    It's retarded how someone doing things as simple as writing a song complains how he doesn't get enough money. I think 5k + is already too much for just writing a song.
    You have absolutely no idea how hard is to write an arrange a song do you?

Go home.

Deleted
    Listening to "Slow Blues for the day" And this is very good man =D

Have you done any shows?
    thanks!

well, i have, every morning for about 1½ years, but that is about 10 years ago or so (and i wasent realy any good back then)

and last time i played a gig, was about a year or so ago with a crappy band, and that dident go too well, but one day i want to make a band that is on my level-ish on their instruments and then just go for it

but right now, im just the studio guy who jam with my self, and i just got thrown out of the house on my birthday (yesterday!) so there is a crazy blues song for that comming i guess..

but sooner or later, i'll get a band going and gonna play in some bars and what not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I have a problem with someone who writes a song, book, movie thinks they deserve exponentially more than someone who works hard physically. I think the whole entertainment industry makes too much money
    Don't be jelly just because you lack the brains and creativity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Wait, do song writers ONLY write the lyrics?
    It entirely depends on who you're working with. I've written songs that were just the lyrics, but i've also written several more that were fully arranged as well. So instead of just words, there's arrangements for every instrument you intend to be in the piece to write for.
    And if you're working with an artist directly and they have suggestions, you may need to re-write sections entirely for either vocalists, guitarists etc.

Writing songs for some of the bigger artists is a huge ballache sometimes.

Deleted
    Your youtube link gives me an error?

<-- Colab with a guy who has been playing 38-ish years.

mkay, im not gonna spam all of my videos, but there is a mix of everything from blues/rock, blues, cinematic and what not enjoy.
    pretty sure you just can click on the video and find my channel if needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure you just can click on the video and find my channel if needed.
    Done exactly that Thx.
    I like it.

Deleted
    Done exactly that Thx.
    I like it.
    thank you

i aint the greatest around, but i do my best.

but yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread, back to OP!

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

You got your communist day today?
    But, if it comforts you, with the majority of artists those 2.5k is about what they get for a concert after taxes.
    And sadly those you speak for are still the least paid in the chain. Minimum wage or below is the norm.
    I dont for a second believe that when you go to a Beyonce concert, or a Garth Brooks concert, or a Billy Joel concert, that they are only taking home $2.5k out of the $500,000 or more gate

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you

i aint the greatest around, but i do my best.

but yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread, back to OP!
    If I have to guess.... Gary Moore has some influence on you, am I right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont for a second believe that when you go to a Beyonce concert, or a Garth Brooks concert, or a Billy Joel concert, that they are only taking home $2.5k out of the $500,000 or more gate
    Not one of those three represents the majority.
    Those are the cream of the crop, with Beyonce having extremely high production costs to fathom for her stage shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks!

well, i have, every morning for about 1½ years, but that is about 10 years ago or so (and i wasent realy any good back then)

and last time i played a gig, was about a year or so ago with a crappy band, and that dident go too well, but one day i want to make a band that is on my level-ish on their instruments and then just go for it

but right now, im just the studio guy who jam with my self, and i just got thrown out of the house on my birthday (yesterday!) so there is a crazy blues song for that comming i guess..

but sooner or later, i'll get a band going and gonna play in some bars and what not
    In NJ we have a great local scene. Our open Mics aren't just a bunch of hacks up there still learning how to play. They are basically free shows for musicians to hang out with each other and collaborate.

I recommend finding such a scene near you, and finding some rogue musicians who are looking to start a new project. There is always the route of putting up fliers at music stores, but that is a bit of a roll of the dice. At least at open mics, you can to preview their talent before deciding to approach them.

That song has a writer?
    Anyways he got overpaid IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laggspike, there is also this really cool project you can look into.

https://www.hitrecord.org/

It is a project where people from around the world can collaborate on their art. Whether it be writing, music, illustration, animation, or anything creative.

You could lay down the basic structure of a song and ask that people fill in the instrumental gaps. You can then take that and start a new challenge, to have someone then lay down some vocals. Or however you choose to present your challenge.

It is really neat, and is a great way to expand your influences.

Deleted
    If I have to guess.... Gary Moore has some influence on you, am I right?

- - - Updated - - -
    Gary Moore, Eric johnson/gales niel zaza, jimmy page, joe bonamassa and many others \m/ depends on the mood.

In NJ we have a great local scene. Our open Mics aren't just a bunch of hacks up there still learning how to play. They are basically free shows for musicians to hang out with each other and collaborate.

I recommend finding such a scene near you, and finding some rogue musicians who are looking to start a new project. There is always the route of putting up fliers at music stores, but that is a bit of a roll of the dice. At least at open mics, you can to preview their talent before deciding to approach them.
    i am about to move next month to a completely new place, (if i dont find a flat that is..) hopefully there is some open mic bars there, becouse where i live right now, there is none

i'd love to play a song and listen to other guys/girls to see what they have to offer and to jam

Laggspike, there is also this really cool project you can look into.

https://www.hitrecord.org/

It is a project where people from around the world can collaborate on their art. Whether it be writing, music, illustration, animation, or anything creative.

You could lay down the basic structure of a song and ask that people fill in the instrumental gaps. You can then take that and start a new challenge, to have someone then lay down some vocals. Or however you choose to present your challenge.

It is really neat, and is a great way to expand your influences.
    uuh great!! i need to check that up!
    Last edited by mmoc167fc6d419; 2016-05-10 at 02:16 PM.