10+ Year Old Account

Angry Israeli Poet arrested & indicted for social media posts and poems

As Dareen Tatour wandered around the Nazareth courthouse on Sunday, no one there – including the security guards and police officers – would have considered her a threat.

Wearing a shirt more appropriate for a teenage girl, Tatour walked excitedly around with friends and acquaintances, all of whom had come to support her.

No one could have imagined that this smiling woman had been deemed dangerous by the state, and that the only difference between her and the other people was the electronic leg cuff around her ankle.

Tatour, 35, is from the village of Reine, near Nazareth. Seven months ago, she was indicted for incitement to violence and supporting a terrorist organization. The prosecution asked the court to remand her until the end of legal proceedings against her, saying her charge sheet showed how dangerous she is.

She spent three months behind bars and was eventually released after a long legal battle, but with restrictions: For example, she was placed under house arrest in an apartment her brother rented for her in Kiryat Ono, near Tel Aviv.

Tatour smiles and says that if she really is such a danger, why was she allowed to go to Kiryat Ono?

On October 11, 2016, a week or so after the latest wave of violence broke out in the West Bank and Jerusalem, police came to her parents’ home in Reine and arrested her without any explanation. She was taken to the local police station in Nazareth for questioning.

“At the beginning, they called me things like a terrorist, and I didn’t understand what all the hubbub was about,” she recalls. “I also didn’t think I would be detained – I thought it would be a matter of a few hours and then I’d return home.”

Some three weeks after her arrest, though, she was indicted due to postings on Facebook and YouTube. She posted a number of videos on the latter, including reciting poems (in Arabic) she had written.
    read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.718854
    Wow. So much for free speech. Why are we supporting this country exactly? This is not how a democracy operates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Wow. So much for free speech. Why are we supporting this country exactly? This is not how a democracy operates.
    Your free speech ends when you call for the continuation of violence and murder of innocents, "poet" my arse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    Your free speech ends when you call for the continuation of violence and murder of innocents, "poet" my arse.
    So you think that people who say things like, "The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don't kid yourself. When they say they don't care about their lives, you have to take out their families" are criminals who should be jailed? I can see a good argument in support of that.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Is this her?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Agreed.

At some point you have to make a stand.

Way to shove Trump and his hyperbole into the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way to shove Trump and his hyperbole into the topic.
    You didn't answer the question.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Got any articles that aren't behind paywalls? I'd like to read about this before posting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    You didn't answer the question.
    Why should Trumps sayings concern me? this is a topic about an Israeli Arab who violated the Israeli law by incitement to violence and murder of innocents and openly endorsing a call by Islamic Jihad terrorist group for a wide scale uprising.

If you have a Trump fetish, feel free to post about his drivel in the 12379183 threads dedicated to him.

What the poet said wouldn't even pass for free speech in the United States and the United States has the most lax free speech laws in the entire world. This crosses the line even by U.S. standards of decency of free speech.