Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    That song has a writer?
    Anyways he got overpaid IMO.
    He was over paid for getting lower than 1% of the profits off of his work? You realize that the song wouldn't exist if he didn't write it, right? No money would have been made, if not for his input.

He signed a bad contract, and has no one but himself and his manager to blame. But I do believe he deserved a more fair share of the profits.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    He was over paid for getting lower than 1% of the profits off of his work? You realize that the song wouldn't exist if he didn't write it, right? No money would have been made, if not for his input.

He signed a bad contract, and has no one but himself and his manager to blame. But I do believe he deserved a more fair share of the profits.
    well put, very well put even.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    i'd love to play a song and listen to other guys/girls to see what they have to offer and to jam
    Aside from video games, it is what I love most in life. Collaborating on music projects is my heart and soul.

I'm actually started a second project in the up coming months. My current band (Centennials) will be taking a break since our lead guitar player will be a father soon. So during that time, I will be working with some other friends on a concept project named Death by Fiction.

I live in a very densely populated area, so I have access to thousands of musicians all within an hour or so of each other. Hopefully where you move to has a similar population of artists as well.

Yep, IMO even $1 is overpaying for any aspect of that song.
    But thats ol grumpy me when it comes to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Don't be jelly just because you lack the brains and creativity.
    Considering I invent shit for a living, I think I express plenty of creativity but go ahead and make asinine comments to make yourself feel better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    Yep, IMO even $1 is overpaying for any aspect of that song.
    But thats ol grumpy me when it comes to music.
    Ok, so your stance is based off of how you feel about the song itself. I can understand that. Per my tastes, the song is complete crap. But there were millions who actually liked it, and paid for it. Which is the prospective I am looking at this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Considering I invent shit for a living, I think I express plenty of creativity but go ahead and make asinine comments to make yourself feel better.
    Just as I would not expect a musician to invent a new fuel cell. I would not expect an inventor to write a ballad.

Deleted
    Aside from video games, it is what I love most in life. Collaborating on music projects is my heart and soul.

I'm actually started a second project in the up coming months. My current band (Centennials) will be taking a break since our lead guitar player will be a father soon. So during that time, I will be working with some other friends on a concept project named Death by Fiction.

I live in a very densely populated area, so I have access to thousands of musicians all within an hour or so of each other. Hopefully where you move to has a similar population of artists as well.
    uuh if you have any soundcloud/youtube/whatever, send me a link and i'll check it out!

Gaming and music is some of the most creative and awesome things to do imo, no drugs or anything like that is needed, just the brain that sets the limit of what you can do seen so many go down the drug line and thinks that is awesome, but again, they dosent know any better

but what i have noticed, its hard to get girls when you start to geek out on strings gages and pickups -.-, but that is kinda self explanatory (think that's the right word for it haha)

$5,679 sounds about right to me. How long did it take to write the song?

10+ Year Old Account
    uuh if you have any soundcloud/youtube/whatever, send me a link and i'll check it out!

Gaming and music is some of the most creative and awesome things to do imo, no drugs or anything like that is needed, just the brain that sets the limit of what you can do seen so many go down the drug line and thinks that is awesome, but again, they dosent know any better

but what i have noticed, its hard to get girls when you start to geek out on strings gages and pickups -.-, but that is kinda self explanatory (think that's the right word for it haha)
    My signature always has a link to my bands Band Camp.

centennials.bandcamp.com

It's not all that impressive as we have only been writing for about a year and a half. But it is getting better and better the more and more we work together.

It's funny you mention girls. It is a long running myth that musicians get all the girls. It should be said as "Famous Musicians get all the girls." When you are young, it can work out for you, but the older you get, the less interested women are in a man who plays in a band. It gets seen as immature and so on.

But all in all, there is a different outlook as well. When people are searching for a new mate, I always tell them, "Be seen being part of something". Nothing is more interesting than a person doing something that is interesting. And music is interesting to most people. So it can work in your favor if you don't geek out too hard over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    $5,679 sounds about right to me. How long did it take to write the song?
    How long did it take an illustrator to make a picture? I wish I could find a meme that fits this perfectly.

Basically, it goes as such. An illustrator presents a simple looking design to the client. The client asks, Why am I paying you $10,000 for something that took you 10 minutes? The artist replies, "Because I spent 4 years in school, my whole life practicing my passion, many years of internship, and grunt work, just to be able to do this task as quickly and efficiently as I do."

Just because the end result looks simple, it doesn't mean that it was easy to learn to do it.

centennials.bandcamp.com

It's not all that impressive as we have only been writing for about a year and a half. But it is getting better and better the more and more we work together.

It's funny you mention girls. It is a long running myth that musicians get all the girls. It should be said as "Famous Musicians get all the girls." When you are young, it can work out for you, but the older you get, the less interested women are in a man who plays in a band. It gets seen as immature and so on.

But all in all, there is a different outlook as well. When people are searching for a new mate, I always tell them, "Be seen being part of something". Nothing is more interesting than a person doing something that is interesting. And music is interesting to most people. So it can work in your favor if you don't geek out too hard over it.

- - - Updated - - -

How long did it take an illustrator to make a picture? I wish I could find a meme that fits this perfectly.

Basically, it goes as such. An illustrator presents a simple looking design to the client. The client asks, Why am I paying you $10,000 for something that took you 10 minutes? The artist replies, "Because I spent 4 years in school, my whole life practicing my passion, many years of internship, and grunt work, just to be able to do this task as quickly and efficiently as I do."

Just because the end result looks simple, it doesn't mean that it was easy to learn to do it.
    But very, very few illustraters ever get payed much for their work and even then, it usually too much. You don't see a nurse payed 100000 for a job well done, do you? I don't know where you live but they spend at least 4 years in school over here so whats your point?

Deleted

centennials.bandcamp.com

some serious nice songs there!!
    i like the kinda ambient stuff you guys come up with, its some calm over those songs even if there is some rock/alternative things being played!

Sounds good! you guys gonna go far if you keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    It's retarded how someone doing things as simple as writing a song complains how he doesn't get enough money. I think 5k + is already too much for just writing a song.
    Considering how much that song made in revenue from advertisers on Youtube alone... no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by paluman View Post
    It's retarded how someone doing things as simple as writing a song complains how he doesn't get enough money. I think 5k + is already too much for just writing a song.

Do you feel the same about an author who gets royalties for every copy of their book that sales?

A painter who gets a share for every print sold?

He owns the song, therefore he's entitled to payment for allowing people to play it.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    But very, very few illustraters ever get payed much for their work and even then, it usually too much. You don't see a nurse payed 100000 for a job well done, do you? I don't know where you live but they spend at least 4 years in school over here so whats your point?
    It's just the argument of perceived value, vs what people don't know went behind the end result.

Art is subjective, and people place value on a bias of their personal tastes. Not the work and effort and experience that went into creating the piece. The art world is a strange beast when it comes to compensation.

- - - Updated - - -

some serious nice songs there!!
    i like the kinda ambient stuff you guys come up with, its some calm over those songs even if there is some rock/alternative things being played!

Sounds good! you guys gonna go far if you keep going!
    Thanks so much! That really does mean a lot!

It's just the argument of perceived value, vs what people don't know went behind the end result.

Art is subjective, and people place value on a bias of their personal tastes. Not the work and effort and experience that went into creating the piece. The art world is a strange beast when it comes to compensation.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much! That really does mean a lot!
    Fair enough. Music is not worth more then. Again $5679 seems about right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough. Music is not worth more then. Again $5679 seems about right.
    It really comes down to the contract. If the song was streamed 178,000,000 times. He got way less than $1 per stream. Even if he got $.50 He would have made 89,000,000. However as it stands, I used http://www.percentagecalculator.net/ to calculate the percentage of the profits he got. which is 0.003190449438202247%.

Do you think that is fair to the man who wrote the words the artist is singing? Without those words, the song wouldn't exist. There would be no song, if not for him, and he gets 0.003%? That is horrible.

I wonder what people will do if movie script writer receive same treatment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greeeed View Post
    I wonder what people will do if movie script writer receive same treatment
    Heh, good point. I'm curious what script writers make on record breaking hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really comes down to the contract. If the song was streamed 178,000,000 times. He got way less than $1 per stream. Even if he got $.50 He would have made 89,000,000. However as it stands, I used http://www.percentagecalculator.net/ to calculate the percentage of the profits he got. which is 0.003190449438202247%.

Do you think that is fair to the man who wrote the words the artist is singing? Without those words, the song wouldn't exist. There would be no song, if not for him, and he gets 0.003%? That is horrible.
    What about the guy who made the pen so he could write the song? Shouldnt he get a cut too? after all, without pens he couldnt write the song

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    What about the guy who made the pen so he could write the song? Shouldn't he get a cut too? after all, without pens he couldnt write the song
    Sure he could. He could use a laptop.

That is industry mixing though. The stationary industry already has it's sales and so on figured out.

That would be like saying, I'm gonna sell my house, but I need to ensure that the tool company gets paid, since the house would never had been built if not for the hammers, nails, and saws used.

It doesn't work the same when you are directly hiring someone to write lyrics for you. They are collaborating with you. You have a contract with them, you didn't just buy them at Walgreens.