Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    Except 'The Fiend's claims were not about a positive impact. His entire criticism is regarding the fact that the fire is not 'contained'. Thus he assumed that acceptance of aid would somehow have this fire 'contained' at this time.
    Containment would be a positive impact I would think. But I like to think about crazy shit...I guess.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    Except 'The Fiend's claims were not about a positive impact. His entire criticism is regarding the fact that the fire is not 'contained'. Thus he assumed that acceptance of aid would somehow have this fire 'contained' at this time.
    It would have helped maybe. I never assumed 100% contained fire if russians helped.

I mean from an urban planning perspective, when Fort Mac started booming some kind of buffer zone should have been worked into the urban plan.... considering it's right in the middle of the boreal forest, known for spontaneously combusting.

EDIT: With the number of homes lost, and 2 people dead, I'm sure there's going to end up being an inquiry once the situation has run it's course. Since the public likes pointing fingers once the working together, feel goodiness is over.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-10 at 10:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I mean from an urban planning perspective, when Fort Mac started booming some kind of buffer zone should have been worked into the urban plan.... considering it's right in the middle of the boreal forest, known for spontaneously combusting.
    Kind of thing I was thinking when I said prevention methods.
    It's like building on floodplains.

Doesn't seem smart.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Kind of thing I was thinking when I said prevention methods.
    It's like building on floodplains.

Doesn't seem smart.
    Yeah, but you're completely anti fire; which isn't feasible. I'm talking more along the lines of protecting human settlements from natural wildfires. I also live on a flood plain, so if you want to talk flood management I'm you're guy too

10+ Year Old Account

EDIT: With the number of homes lost, and 2 people dead, I'm sure there's going to end up being an inquiry once the situation has run it's course. Since the public likes pointing fingers once the working together, feel goodiness is over.
    Perhaps with a banning of flammable outer building materials (eg vinyl siding & asphalt/wood shingles). I think after Kelowna's last fire, the houses are all stucco with tile roofs now.
    {[( )]}

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Containment would be a positive impact I would think. But I like to think about crazy shit...I guess.
    I'm going to have to ask you to read his posts in the thread then. Because he cared little about positive impact. Whatever was said to him, he would simply reply that the fire was not 'contained'.

- - - Updated - - -

It would have helped maybe. I never assumed 100% contained fire if russians helped.
    Definitely not the impression given based on what you've said. No matter what was said to you. Your base response was simply that the fire is not 'contained'. Thus suggesting the sole metric you had was containment.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Aica View Post
    Perhaps a banning of flammable building materials (eg vinyl siding & asphalt/wood shingles). I think (?) after Kelowna's last fire, the houses are all stucco with tile roofs now.
    Yeah I was discussing this with the fam. Apparently pretty much all of those houses had flammable siding, which is kind of crazy. I mean, I'm not saying urban planners are required to be god-like though. Fort Mac did grow ridiculously fast. So I can't imagine how hard it is to keep up with the urban planning and building codes and what not.

Firebreaks wouldn't have done much in this regard, as we all know it was hopping wide ass rivers and starting spot fires kilometers away. Not to mention the uproar of more forests being removed lol. Everyone already hates northern AB, start chopping trees down and there'll be an even bigger supply of butthurt.

I can think of two things already to point fingers

Firebreaks wouldn't have done much in this regard, as we all know it was hopping wide ass rivers and starting spot fires kilometers away. Not to mention the uproar of more forests being removed lol. Everyone already hates northern AB, start chopping trees down and there'll be an even bigger supply of butthurt.

I can think of two things already to point fingers
    So you blame hippies?

I mean, again, I went through the whole forestry rigamarole with The Fiend... the life and biodiversity of the boreal forest depends on some wild fires being able to run their course. But there definitely needs to be an inquiry into whether or not they should have jumped on this one a lot sooner. Whether they should have known or could have known that it would threaten Fort Mac.

So you blame hippies?

I mean, again, I went through the whole forestry rigamarole with The Fiend... the life and biodiversity of the boreal forest depends on some wild fires being able to run their course. But there definitely needs to be an inquiry into whether or not they should have jumped on this one a lot sooner. Whether they should have known or could have known that it would threaten Fort Mac.
    I blame the evisceration of the wildfires budget locally and wishy washy commitments from Ottawa Also contradictory statements from Ottawa. If help wasn't needed why the hell is the CGA sending emails to member businesses and shit about needing volunteer firefighters. Someone is wrong there.

Funny, If I tried that in threads where I had more experience you'd probably be just as vocal as me.
    Well it wouldn't excuse your attempts to frame your government bashing as 'caring for the people'. But that's a different issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

I blame the evisceration of the wildfires budget locally and wishy washy commitments from Ottawa Also contradictory statements from Ottawa. If help wasn't needed why the hell is the CGA sending emails to member businesses and shit about needing volunteer firefighters. Someone is wrong there.
    Yeah I have no idea what they were thinking there. Like I could see if wildfires were a once every 100 year type thing... but They are a 100 times every year type thing. Per province...and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    It's like the head of TEPCO remaining adamant that everything is under control at Fukushima and there was no need to power down the reactors or anything XD
    Fukushima never happened

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Fukushima never happened
    In other news thanks to Sharks being born with 15 dorsal fins shark fin soup no longer is a threat to great whites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because this thread is a circle-jerk for Canadians to pretend they know better by ignoring a fire.
    Riiight. So you think a little more water will stop this fire?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Riiight. So you think a little more water will stop this fire?
    Well, yes, that's kind-of how physics work...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_triangle

The fire triangles or combustion triangles are simple models for understanding the necessary ingredients for most fires. The triangle illustrates the three elements a fire needs to ignite: heat, fuel, and an oxidizing agent (usually oxygen).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Well, yes, that's kind-of how physics work...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_triangle

The fire triangles or combustion triangles are simple models for understanding the necessary ingredients for most fires. The triangle illustrates the three elements a fire needs to ignite: heat, fuel, and an oxidizing agent (usually oxygen).
    Yet all the scientists are saying that they need better weather for it to slow down?

- - - Updated - - -

Right. How did these 2 people die?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Yet all the scientists are saying that they need better weather for it to slow down?
    Weather, without actually following the story (because I posted earlier that I'm glad they declined), I would assume relates to wind. Still doesn't make the physics of adding water to remove heat an effective way of putting out a Class A fire

Havent read the whole thread, but keep in mind that wildfire like that is "commun" in canada, every year. Only difference this time is it was next to a big town. Just in quebec we a few hundred wildfire each years. But since almost all of them are in the north, nobody talks about them, no town nor living soul up there.

We know how to deal with them, declining international help was the right move, for the moment.