Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    So I can't buy the 1070 for $380? I have to buy the $450 one? Thanks nvidia hopefully amd has something better.
    Well you can, just don't expect it to be there come June. Or if it is, expect it to be very rushed and perform as such.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    So I can't buy the 1070 for $380? I have to buy the $450 one? Thanks nvidia hopefully amd has something better.
    You'll be able too, just not right away.

Also, it is very common, at least in my industry, for manufacturer's to set an MSRP and then sell direct to consumers above that MSRP. This allows distributors like me to sell at MSRP and not be competing directly with the the manufacturer and still make decent margins. If they sold at MSRP direct to consumers, there would be almost no profit left in it for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Because this is a paper launch. There just ain't going to be that many cards on the shelves, so they ask a premium for those.
    This is not a "increase the price because stock shortage" price. It's a " I have more money than sense so I'm going to buy direct from Nvidia" price

No matter the demand or stock that is the price Nvidia will sell them for but you will be able to buy them for less from say Gigabyte or Asus.

This will be true for all pascal cards. Nvidia will set a MSRP then sell them for more

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Well you can, just don't expect it to be there come June. Or if it is, expect it to be very rushed and perform as such.
    If its a reference card (aka Founders edition) it will be the same card. Same performance and same build quality built in the same factory. Same
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    Yes they are... Of course they set the MSRP who else would set it ?

They set the suggested price at $599 then decided to ignore their own suggest price and put a $699 price tag on it.

Hence why I made this thread. I was confused why they decided on a $699 price when obviously any board partner could release a reference card in the $599-$698 range and be cheaper for the exact same card. It made no sense. Who would spend $100 more just for lulz
    They can put the number they want at the MSRP, doesn't mean they'll sell the cards at it. Again, it's all marketing.

They don't have enough cards for a normal launch, they're selling the few ones that they do with a higher price tag for people who are hype-driven, easily mislead by Nvidia's slideshow or that simply can't wait. It's a price difference to get it first, I'm seriously failing to comprehend what you're not understanding about it.

What is so strange about it, at all? That's just Nvidia making genius business decisions as always, selling overpriced hardware while making people believe they're paying the right price for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    They can put the number they want at the MSRP, doesn't mean they'll sell the cards at it. Again, it's all marketing.
    I know that and never said to the contrary. People were saying the MSRP was $699 and that is false information. The MSRP is $599

They don't have enough cards for a normal launch, they're selling the few ones that they do with a higher price tag for people who are hype-driven, easily mislead by Nvidia's slideshow or that simply can't wait. It's a price difference to get it first, I'm seriously failing to comprehend what you're not understanding about it.
    Again that is false information. You are not understanding.

Nvidia will NEVER drop the $699 price. If you want to buy a 1080 for less than $699 you will NOT be buying it from Nvidia or waiting for sales. A card bought direct from Nvidia will always carry the same price and will always be above the MSRP not matter the quantity Nvidia has on hand or the demand. This will be true for ALL pascal cards.

Suggesting Nvidia is adding $100 to the MSRP at launch because of high demand and low supply is false information. People have asked Nvidia about the pricing and the $699 price for the 1080 from Nvidia is here to stay until the card is end of life and no longer being produced.

What is so strange about it, at all? That's just Nvidia making genius business decisions as always, selling overpriced hardware while making people believe they're paying the right price for it.
    If you dont find it strange you are Nvidia's target customer.

Most people would find paying $100 more for the same product "just cause" weird and strange.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that and never said to the contrary. People were saying the MSRP was $699 and that is false information. The MSRP is $599
    You're not understanding my post. The MSRP doesn't matter, they don't have to sell the products at its price.
    Again that is false information. You are not understanding.

Nvidia will NEVER drop the $699 price. If you want to buy a 1080 for less than $699 you will NOT be buying it from Nvidia or waiting for sales. A card bought direct from Nvidia will always carry the same price and will always be above the MSRP not matter the quantity Nvidia has on hand or the demand. This will be true for ALL pascal cards.
    No, I'm understanding. That's exactly what they're going to do, sell the cards for a higher price because they want to. They came up with this idea because they didn't have enough cards anyway, why would they lower the price later? It's Nvidia we're talking about.
    Suggesting Nvidia is adding $100 to the MSRP at launch because of high demand and low supply is false information. People have asked Nvidia about the pricing and the $699 price for the 1080 from Nvidia is here to stay until the card is end of life and no longer being produced.
    I'll just repeat:

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius

It doesn't matter if they're going to maintain the higher price after the aftermarket cards start to appear at the market, the MSRP is meaningless and they can sell it for the price that they want. If the OEMs start selling the normal card at its "suggested price" according to you, then why would you even want to buy it from Nvidia anyway? The price difference is to get it first.
    If you dont find it strange you are Nvidia's target customer.

Most people would find paying $100 more for the same product "just cause" weird and strange.
    Even the suggested MSRP for this card is extremely overpriced, the extra 100 dollars they added on top of it don't change this story that much. It's something that the "Nvidia fans" or people like this would pay without giving half a thought, of course I'm not the target for it.

I seriously don't know what you expected from Nvidia, remember which company Nvidia is. Like I said before, their marketing team was genius as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    -snip-
    I think you are under estimating Nvidia on this one. Its not the "same old Nvidia marketing" stuff. What they are trying to do is something new. I don't believe its about gouging fanboys for day one sales. The scheme is much grander than that.

I don't think they would care if they sold 0 cards at $699. Their goal is to increase ref cards sales to board partners and system builders imo.

That is the profit scheme in play here not screw over the fanboys.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are under estimating Nvidia on this one. Its not the "same old Nvidia marketing" stuff. What they are trying to do is something new. I don't believe its about gouging fanboys for day one sales. The scheme is much grander than that.

I don't think they would care if they sold 0 cards at $699. Their goal is to increase ref cards sales to board partners and system builders imo.

That is the profit scheme in play here not screw over the fanboys.
    Profit scheme and screwing over the fanboys are virtually the same thing.

Selling a relatively small number of cards for a high profit margin and selling a massive quantity of cards for a smaller profit margin are to completely different things..... but okay we can call them virtually the same if you like

>nvidia
    >not screwing over customers

Weow that's a good one. You almost got me. Not like nVidia actively held back one of their chips to later release a product at significant price, permanently raising the pricetag of their lineup by a hundred dollars. Nope, totes never happened. And it sure as hell didn't happen twice.

Sure if you want to cherry pick and take out of context what I said.

This would be more accurate:

>nvidia
    >Shaking up business strategy to increase sales/profits

They dont give a fuck about customers. Only $$$

Deleted
    They dont give a fuck about customers. Only $$$
    nVidia? Not caring about their customers? Artificially crippling old cards? People are just numbers to them? Quality dropped like a rock in the last few years?

Surely not.

For the first few weeks these things will sell like motherfuckers. The price will be way above the recommended, as it was with Skylake CPUs.

Demand with outstrip supply by miles, especially if the benchmarks show the 1070 pulls twice the numbers that a 970 does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    For the first few weeks these things will sell like motherfuckers. The price will be way above the recommended, as it was with Skylake CPUs.

Demand with outstrip supply by miles, especially if the benchmarks show the 1070 pulls twice the numbers that a 970 does.
    Really? Twice the numbers? Ugh I might be buying a new card in the next year or so.

So being that these MSRP are so misleading, how much would an 1070 cost in EU this summer (approximately)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Nvidia has such dedicated fan base that they'll have no problem selling these new GPUs have a $100 higher price. They do their market research, and figured a way to milk the suckers while not pissing off everyone else. They gave the card a fancy name.

But it'll work, cause why else would they do it?
    I wouldn't go as far as twice a 970. Even though Nvidia claims that the 1070 is faster than a Titan, they're also biased as hell. In GTAV at 1080p, the 980 Ti would pull something like 59 fps average. The 970 would pull something like 49. We know the 1070 is faster than a Titan, and therefore faster than a 980 Ti. So we could see something like 69 fps? Which really depends on what Nvidia disables from the 1080, cause we really don't want another #ramgate on our hands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    So being that these MSRP are so misleading, how much would an 1070 cost in EU this summer (approximately)?
    Somewhere between butt rape, and prices dropped because AMD's Polaris. By the time you can actually buy a 1070, good chance AMD will have released their cards. The release of the 1070 and 1080's shouldn't be done now, because of the lack of supply. And nothing pisses customers off more than not being able to buy what they want. Especially when you're charging $100 more to actually buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    >nvidia
    >not screwing over customers
    Weow that's a good one. You almost got me. Not like nVidia actively held back one of their chips to later release a product at significant price, permanently raising the pricetag of their lineup by a hundred dollars. Nope, totes never happened. And it sure as hell didn't happen twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    nVidia? Not caring about their customers? Artificially crippling old cards? People are just numbers to them? Quality dropped like a rock in the last few years?
    Surely not.
    You guys know what's up. Sometimes I think people forget which company they're talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Somewhere between butt rape, and prices dropped because AMD's Polaris. By the time you can actually buy a 1070, good chance AMD will have released their cards. The release of the 1070 and 1080's shouldn't be done now, because of the lack of supply. And nothing pisses customers off more than not being able to buy what they want. Especially when you're charging $100 more to actually buy it.
    How would AMD launch b4 Nvidia, they would surely have the same issues Nvidia has with supply (assuming there are issues at all, that's stull just speculation at this point) unless they go solely for GDDR5 memory for their new cards, and even then that does not mean they will have enough GPU's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    How would AMD launch b4 Nvidia, they would surely have the same issues Nvidia has with supply (assuming there are issues at all, that's stull just speculation at this point) unless they go solely for GDDR5 memory for their new cards, and even then that does not mean they will have enough GPU's.
    I think the supply problem is less bad for AMD because they have priority with HBM2.

Just copied over what I wrote from an old post.

The pricing and marketing is very misleading. The Founder's edition are the same as what Nvidia offered as Reference cards for past generations.

"Well to put this as short as possible, Founders Edition is nothing more than typical reference edition. It is not using higher quality components, it is not overclocked nor does it use higher binned chips. It’s simply the reference edition that will ship before custom solutions."

And not many people buy Nvidia reference cards. Most customers usually buy custom solutions from EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, etc. These cards are usually $50 more than Nvidia's reference cards.

In the end, for example we'll see a EVGA gtx 1070 @ $500 and EVGA gtx 1080 @ $750.

Sorry, Long AMD