Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    That's fucked... Did a doctor volunteer to kill this otherwise perfectly physically healthy person or does the Dutch Euthanasia Commission force a doctor to do?

How the fuck could medical professionals prescribe suicide as the treatment for a mental disorder?

Guess you missed the part where this "perfectly physically healthy person" was as the article states "She also had physical difficulties and was almost entirely bedridden."

She was bed ridden with severe mental problems and even with intense trauma therapy there was only temporarily partially successful.

I'm all for keeping people from commiting suicide, very much so. But for someone who is clearly suffering both physically and mentally and whom the doctors say cannot be helped in any significant way, I'm perfectly fine with that person being allowed to terminate their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Not sure how you can value the desires of someone who can be described like this:

"The papers said that the woman, who was killed last year, had post-traumatic stress disorder that was resistant to treatment.
    Her condition included severe anorexia, chronic depression and suicidal mood swings, tendencies to self-harm, hallucinations, obsessions and compulsions."
    Do you see the circularity of your logic? If she's mentally unstable, she's not qualified to make that decision. If she's mentally stable enough to make that decision, she's too healthy for it be an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    My life, my choice.

If your life sucks and you want to die, go ahead. Surviving for survival's sake is worse than dying, because if you're dead you feel no pain anymore.

It's also a good way to save money.
    That's exactly how I feel. Who are YOU to tell me that I have to live? Better it be done officially like this, with medical personnel, than blowing your brains all over a wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    And the other option is to load her up with meds, force feed and compel life support on her because of the hubris of a few self-righteous.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much the problem with these self-righteous people these days.

"Oh you will get over it"
    "You can be happy if you want to"
    "It's just a matter of trying"
    "Depression is a state of mind"
    "There's someone worse off than you are"
    "Life isn't fair"
    "Stop feeling sorry for yourself"

and the list goes on

It kinda is though, that's literally what depression is, a state of mind... Numerous studies have shown, that just pretending to be happy and not depressed can alleviate depression.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    My life, my choice.
    There is nothing more to say. And it's way better to put an and to it in a save way, than making someone else feeling "guilty" for ending your life. Like jumping in front of a train, crashing your car into another, ...
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 Rev.B|ASRock Z97 Extreme4|i7-4790K|HR-02 Macho|G.Skill TridentX 2x8GB|Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64|250GB+64GB+1TB SSD|4TB HDD|Seasonic Ultra Prime Gold 1000W|Corsair Scimitar Pro+Razer Sphex|Logitech G910+|LG 34UC88-B|2x iiyama Prolite XUB2792QSU-B1|Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro+AntLion ModMic 4|Thrustmaster T500RS+TH8A

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's this kind of case that the opponents of euthanasia warned us about, I guess they were right.

Next they'll kill grandma because she's "inconvenient".
    There's a mile wide gap between "granted a request to die for someone suffering severe chronic mental illness" and "forced euthanasia on old people because they're inconvenient." I assume you're joking but it's hard to tell.

Looks like the doctors/psychs in question have thought long and hard about it.
    I don't see any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Arent View Post

It kinda is though, that's literally what depression is, a state of mind... Numerous studies have shown, that just pretending to be happy and not depressed can alleviate depression.
    Ha, no. You made that up. Nice try though. Depression is not the same thing as being sad.

Deleted
    If she wanted to die she would have died anyway, euthanasia or not.

I wonder how the abuser lives his life right now though. I think the real attention should be to prevent abuse and properly punish the abusers rather than bitch and moan about euthanasia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I amend my earlier statement:
    Because having severe psychological trauma is so much * with than being terminally ill.

* = insert random bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    This outcome is much preferable to her jumping in front of some train or off a roof and traumatizing other people who have to deal with the fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I amend my earlier statement:

Euthanasia is okay for terminally ill people who are in pain, buy any doctor who would grant a patient euthanasia based on psychological issues should be stripped of their medical license and charged with egging someone to kill themselves (dunno the proper English term).
    Why is euthanasia for chronic physical pain justifiable, but for chronic psychological issues it's not? Physical pain is just a chemical reaction in the brain, not significantly different than psychological "pain" (in this case, I use "pain" to represent any number of disabling psychological disorders). A person dealing with either suffers horribly regardless of which source their pain comes from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Because shaming people who choose suicide to solve their problems is somehow effective in preventing them from doing so and doesn't just all the more give them the final push under most circumstances.
    Because surely they regret it retroactively.

Oh wait.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

No no no - many independant parties, professional psyhologic doctors, and the patient herself who was suffering one of the most severe cases of post-abuse depression and other mental problems - their words don't mean anything.
    An internet poster surely knows better than all of them. After all, it's so easy to say "she didn't have to die! Euthanasia bad!" and live in your disgusting self-righteousness and forever have a ridiculous notion that mental problems are on the same level with your hate of Mondays and can go away if you think happy thoughts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    if people stop making such a big deal out of things like rape saying its a major problem or you're a massive victim reminding the person how horrible something is over and over also causing them to relive it instead of move on

maybe victims of rape and other abuse would suffer far far FAR less
    Wait......

Did i read that right?

Deleted
    I'm pretty confident that the many different doctors involved will have discussed this at great length, and arrived at what is ultimately the best conclusion for her suffering. It was either allow her euthanasia request, or commit her until further notice as a danger to herself.

10+ Year Old Account
    The laws in holland make it very very difficult to actually commit euthenesia. Which is a really good thing because it's always a 'last resort' kinda of thing. Literally.
    However i am honestly proud we have the option to decide over your own life. As sad as this story is, i am happy she got her way.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    if people stop making such a big deal out of things like rape saying its a major problem or you're a massive victim reminding the person how horrible something is over and over also causing them to relive it instead of move on

maybe victims of rape and other abuse would suffer far far FAR less
    What the heck is wrong with you?

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    That's fucked... Did a doctor volunteer to kill this otherwise perfectly physically healthy person or does the Dutch Euthanasia Commission force a doctor to do?

How the fuck could medical professionals prescribe suicide as the treatment for a mental disorder?

I suggest you read the article before commenting, I'm no expert, sure, But "Perfectly physically healthy" is a long stretch from someone with "Severe anorexia" and "She also had physical difficulties and was almost entirely bedridden"
    I don't know if you've ever seen someone with severe anorexia, Or known anyone that's almost entirely bedridden, But they're horrible things to see, And the pain that person is going through because of it, is horrific.

In regards to them letting her end her life, I think it's good, If someone wants to die, they will find a way to do it, At least this gives them the dignity to not be smooshed on a pavement, or under a truck.

I am 110% in favor of euthanasia, but this seems a little out there. I support anyone's right to take their own life, but involving medical professionals in taking a life as a result of treatable psychological problems? That's a little out there. Euthanasia is usually in the context of untreatable terminal illnesses. The argument that psychological trauma is untreatable is not something I have the expertise to argue against, but I haven't encountered that idea before...