Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 23 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Also @Remilia where's the obligatory "Sony CLED pls" post? =(
    Was busy playing PSO2 until maintenance just started.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    We've had 8K sets for years now, they're just not meant for consumers yet and won't be for a while.
    They already send 8k videos though? https://www.jgn.nict.go.jp/english/r...ws-2014_10.pdf

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    They already send 8k videos though? https://www.jgn.nict.go.jp/english/r...ws-2014_10.pdf
    If you have a 100Gbps network to play around with, sure. And that's with a lot of gimmicks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Thats exactly why i am not even considering a 1070 or 1080, im still on a 60hz 1080p screen it would be a waste of horsepower.
    That depends on the game. The GTX 970 was a super beast of a gaming card back when it was released, but running games at max settings at 1080p is getting difficult for some games. The question everyone should be asking is, "will games become more demanding"?. Because as of right now, most games revolve around the lowest common denominator, which just so happens to be the Xbox One and PS4. No matter how much faster your graphics card gets, you're going to be using your new expensive graphics card to crank up what is essentially a PS4 game port. Not exactly a good baseline to start with.

If games are still made the way they are than yes, 1080p 60hz with a GTX 1080 would be a waste of horsepower with the way games are made today. To fix this we need more consumers to have GTX 970ish or R9 390ish performance, cause those cards are beasts. Even though the 1070 is going to be amazingly faster than a 970 at $380, it doesn't do much for the lower priced market. As much as we like to circle jerk over the new 1070's and 1080's, we need to see what Nvidia has to offer for all the price ranges. Cause it doesn't do anybody any good that the best $100 graphics card Nvidia has is the GTX 950, and their $200 is the GTX 960.

Pretty sure that Nvidia is not going to do anything about that market segment anytime soon, but in the meantime the 970/980 cards are going to crash and burn in prices. Especially the used ones. Already I see 970's for $240 on Ebay and I expect those prices to drop even further. So already we see Nvidia owners selling them in anticipation for these new cards. The 390's are not getting cheaper unfortunately, probably due to DX12.

The quicker these graphic cards get into the hands of peasants, the more likely developers will make more demanding games. Instead of Nvidia's FailWorks which just increases features for no apparent reason so that your game gets more demanding. Nvidia has to make money, and they do so if more people buy graphic cards. So if games become unbelievably demanding, they think you'll get a new graphics card. But they sorta became the victim of their own scheme. But if enough of these cards get into peoples hands, then developers might actually implement features into games without the need of AMD or Nvidia's help.

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-05-11 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    Why do you think I'm going to choose my next card purchase without benchmarks to determine the best price/performance ratio?
    You do know what it means to buy at release, right? Shit is sold out and in shipping before benchmarks are even out.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    by the time 490X aka Vega HBM2 is out - it will be competing with Pascal HBM2, not with 1080
    There are two chips, Vega 10 and Vega 11. While Vega 10 will most certainly be HBM2 that doesn't have to be true for Vega 11 which could be GDDR5X and actually come out before 2017.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    You do know what it means to buy at release, right? Shit is sold out and in shipping before benchmarks are even out.
    Except the NDA for the GTX1080 is ending 8 days before the cards is actually launching.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Except the NDA for the GTX1080 is ending 8 days before the cards is actually launching.
    This time, yes. That's not the regular occurrence with product releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    This time, yes. That's not the regular occurrence with product releases.
    Yet, people have already preordered these

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Good thing we have things like google fiber expanding, providing 10x that bandwidth.
    The world isn't only america you know.

7+ Year Old Account
    Good thing we have things like google fiber expanding, providing 10x that bandwidth.
    You mean 1/100.

15+ Year Old Account
    On the ropes as whether to buy an R9 390X or wait a few weeks for a GTX 1070, given that they will run about the same price.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    On the ropes as whether to buy an R9 390X or wait a few weeks for a GTX 1070, given that they will run about the same price.
    I would wait till all the new cards are out.

Chances are, the moment the custom 1070s are out, P10 will be out as well.

Yeah, early morning and I misread it due to lack of sleep. Anytits, it only takes 25mbps to stream 4K from Netflix. I highly doubt 8K will take 4096x as much bandwidth to stream.
    Well, that PDF was about uncompressed 8k broadcasting signal. Maybe the poster who linked that didn't know it's not consumer stuff.

Deleted
    https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2...-micron-gddr5x

Micron says gddr5x is now in mass production, so maybe the supply issues for 1080 won't be that bad?

Also the exact chipname is GP104-400-A1
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-05-11 at 12:43 PM.

There is a EVGA gtx 970 on my local craigslist for 200 and it has almost two years left of warranty, i bet i could talk him down to 180. I should probably grab it up but im curious to the performance of the r9 490 and what price they come in at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, early morning and I misread it due to lack of sleep. Anytits, it only takes 25mbps to stream 4K from Netflix. I highly doubt 8K will take 4096x as much bandwidth to stream.
    Netflix 4k is garbage tier and is worse than 1080p BD due to the compression algorithms. The bitrate is half as high for 4 times more pixels, do the math.

There are way more valuable things to improve different than resolution, and if this resolution increase comes with a full set of gimmicks to decrease the image quality to make it doable then it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

As an aside which i found interesting, you cannot get 1080 on chrome or firefox:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ng-hd-netflix/

I tested this with netflix's stats page and its true, i could only get 1080 on windows store app and edge browser.

maybe someone can give me some advice. I'm rocking a 980 ti asus card because my 4k TV and games. I'm building my father a racing simulator setup (to get more practice in on tracks before he races them in real life) and he wants to go Oculus rift for mental immersion instead of triple screens.

Would i be better off using my 980 ti in his VR simulator rig and buying a 1080 for my computer since it is more 4k friendly and I do graphics intensive gaming and he does not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Right now, the 1070 is not going to be available, not even May 27th. Not until June, unless you're willing to buy the Founders Edition, given they're in stock. I imagine that a lot of people will buy them, and stick them on Ebay for inflated prices. If you're looking for a 390X performance, just wait for AMD to release Polaris. By the time the 1070 is actually purchasable, so will Polaris.

For now, the 1070/1080 is a benchmark release. No actually cards will be available.